Can you explain what that is and illustrate what you mean by giving examples of famous songs/riff (metal preferably).

THX

Also how do you get better at it?
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
think of how you would "phrase" a sentence. you and someone else may use different words but say the same thing, but it will come across differently to others.

it is basically how you play the notes and put them together, and when you play and when you leave space, and timing.

i dont listen to a lot of metal, so i cant give metal examples, but you should check out peter green and gary moore.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
To be honest you won't find playing metal will help you much with phrasing. You want to try listening to some of the more blues inspired players. Gary Moore would be an obvious example, also try Jimi Hendrix or David Gilmour if you want something different. Remember silence is an important part of phrasing - it's a bit like having to take a breath when singing a song.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Quote by SmashThings
To be honest you won't find playing metal will help you much with phrasing. .

i dunno i thought randy rhoads was quite excellent at phrasing. in fact most of the really good metal type guitarists are pretty good at phrasing.
Quote by z4twenny
i dunno i thought randy rhoads was quite excellent at phrasing. in fact most of the really good metal type guitarists are pretty good at phrasing.

Yeah I mean listen to his solo in Hellraiser and Mr. Crowley, jaw-droppingly amazing solos.

^ i was actually thinking of Mr. Crowley when i wrote that but really most all of his phrasing is quite exceptional to the song.
For more of Rhoads' phrasing, Flying High Again is a perfect example.

In addition, listen to B.B. King, one of the masters of phrasing. Listen to a lot of jazz players too, especially Joe Pass, to get an insight into good phrasing.
Quote by breakstuff

Also how do you get better at it?

Phrasing is how you organize a bunch of notes into a musical expression with
respect to how the music advances in time. Any kind of music has phrasing.
It all depends what you want to say.

One of the components of how the music advances in time is the beat & tempo.
It's the heartbeat. So a critical and concrete thing you can practice to help your
phrasing is timing and rhythm. Get out your metronome. If you're working with
a scale or pattern, practice it in various rhythms -- 8th notes, triplets, 16th notes....
Start on downbeat. Start on an upbeat. Permute. If you're working on learning
a solo, get yourself a decent book that has the rhythm NOTATED! Learn to read
the timing and work on getting it EXACTLY as written. It may seem like painstaking
work, but the devil's in the details...
I know this is going to sound noobish, but any tips out there(not necesseraly a guide, but it could be one) on phrasing?
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
Quote by Lucky#Slevin
I know this is going to sound noobish, but any tips out there(not necesseraly a guide, but it could be one) on phrasing?

Backing tracks. Improvise as much as possible, and study your rhythms.

Quote by breakstuff
Yeah I mean listen to his solo in Hellraiser and Mr. Crowley, jaw-droppingly amazing solos.

What do you mean? Hellraiser was Zakk Wylde - it was on No More Tears, which was released in 1991. Randy died in 1982.
Last edited by :-D at Apr 4, 2008,
Yeah my bad on Hellraiser, I was under the wrong impression.