Lately I feel as if my motivation to play (which I've been doing for ten years) is just going away. Has this happened to anybody else and what should I do to get my motivation back.
maybe you should check out different bands, or get a teacher to help you.

perhaps you need a challenge, so you could learn techniques that you haven't yet learned (if any) or find a new sound for yourself.

listen to classical music -- it helps your creativity, and it is good exposure.

maybe if you got into a band then you may find new motivation.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Last edited by chillrock at Apr 4, 2008,
Try something new. What sort of music do you listen to usually?
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Happened to me, I picked up the acoustic instead and its really helped my playing overall.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
go to a concert, always gives me inspiration to get back to playing
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by SmashThings
Try something new. What sort of music do you listen to usually?

I'm normally the rock and metal listener. But I've been getting into Jazz and BLues recently.
Quote by XWildxChildX
I'm normally the rock and metal listener. But I've been getting into Jazz and BLues recently.

Well there are hundreds of bands out there. Try something different, you ever tried listening to some punk/ska/grunge/alternative/funk music? I find that often it's best to put your guitar down if you're not finding you want to play anymore. I went through a period like that and in that time I picked up a copy of Anthony Keidis's book 'scar tissue' by the time I finished reading it I couldn't wait to pick up the guitar again. Playing music is all about discovering new things. Good luck
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Its happened to me a couple of times and it sucks. Felt like i was just going through the motions, nothing new or creative going on. So i started painting for a couple of weeks, channelled my creativity in other ways and when i picked the guitar up again it felt natural. The spark will come back, don't worry.
I used to only listen to rock and I wasn't motivated, but I found picking up some Jazz stuff is a real help.

Charlie Parker's stuff is great to play on guitar.

Ornithology and Donna Lee are my favourites.

This always happens to me. ONLY WAY: get out and listen to and if possible jam with musicians that are better then you. Nothing will refuel you deflated motivation then to be solidly put in your place by someone more motivated or simply more talented.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by MattCbassist
...give up

Stay out of this thread then, dumbass.

TS: People have given you great advice; when I wasn't motivated anymore I started playing jazz and it fueled me again. Order a copy of the Real Book or something or just work on things outside your usual style and you'll realize how much more is truly out there for you to do.
Buy a ukulele or a mandolin or a banjo or a violin or a harmonica or bongos or a cheap keyboard or whatever. Play that. It will refresh you.

Or just try alternate tunings, they basically make your guitar a new instrument.
I think this is something everyone playing has to address at some point. It's sort
of a guitar "mid life crisis" that can hit any time after a year or two of playing.

What happens is your skills progress, but your practice and learning methods
stay the same. The old methods no longer work well for furthering you along.
So, you plateau and stay the same and keep trying the same things over and
over without much happening.

So, there comes a point where you have to realize your methods need to keep pace
with your skills. Our brains are wired to become tired of the old and stimulated
by the new. If you don't know how to keep moving into the new, like a shark
that has to keep swimming to breath, you'll die.
Read/reread biographies of musicians. for some reason this usually works for me. I've read hendrix's biography like 4 times.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by edg
I think this is something everyone playing has to address at some point. It's sort
of a guitar "mid life crisis" that can hit any time after a year or two of playing.

What happens is your skills progress, but your practice and learning methods
stay the same. The old methods no longer work well for furthering you along.
So, you plateau and stay the same and keep trying the same things over and
over without much happening.

So, there comes a point where you have to realize your methods need to keep pace
with your skills. Our brains are wired to become tired of the old and stimulated
by the new. If you don't know how to keep moving into the new, like a shark
that has to keep swimming to breath, you'll die.

I really needed to hear that. Thank you.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
It's ear training that makes me lose my will.

Personally, I play a different instrument or just sit back and LISTEN to music for a while whenever it happens.
Wanderlei war wagon.
Quote by alexdoabismo
watch School of rock, helped me

hahaha same here thats pretty much how i started. U know at the end where the dude is teaching the little kids! After that i said,"maybe i should learn my chords". LSMIC
Quote by alexdoabismo
watch School of rock, helped me

Haha, YES! Also listen to some songs that really get you fired up, I find that really helps, something you can really rock out to while playing, brings the fun back in!
This definitely happens, especially to those of us who have lived through a generation or two or three of musical styles and influences. New things may help...a new guitar, a new tuning, a new direction, a new instrument, a new art form, a new girlfriend...whatever. At this point in your playing career just don't force yourself to play if you don't feel like it. My experience is that eventually I get motivated to play again and everything seems kinda fresh again and you're playing might even improve over the absence. Think of it as a vacation. A musicians hands and ears get tired, especially if you play a lot every day. When you come back to it, your hands and ears (and your mind!) will be renewed.
record yourself playing a cover and see if you can add in a bunch of other parts like the bass drums vocals etc. and then mix it all together and show your friends and their like dude i love that song and that was awesome I play drums guitar bass and sing so i've always wanted to do that but unfortunately i'm poor and can't afford all the instruments and recording equipment.
Ive bin there a few times my friend. your will to play will come back soon dont worry. one hting i reccomend is watching a dvd with your favourite guitarist playing or something. inspiration is usually the cure for me!
go to a concert of a band you like
find somebody to jam with
challange yourself with something hard for your skill level (if youve just been running through old stuff you know like i tend to do when im not inspired)
try recording stuff and mixing/layering or composing if you dont already
if that doesnt work take a brake from it for a while like the other guy said.
good luck man
When I lost motivation to play I just put my guitar down & did other shiz for a week, without thinking about it.

When I picked it up again I found I could alternate pick like a god
Quote by Rascal_King
I used to only listen to rock and I wasn't motivated, but I found picking up some Jazz stuff is a real help.

Charlie Parker's stuff is great to play on guitar.

Ornithology and Donna Lee are my favourites.

I imagined playing a few Charlie Parker licks on the guitar... Shreddination. That would be awesome though.