Hi UG, I own a squier P-bass that I've had for about 18 months now. A few months ago my amp broke (or so I thought) so I've been playing unamplified since. Back to the present, I have a new amp but I can't get a sound out of my bass. I can't even get a signal from it to a tuner so I'm certain it's not the amp. I've tried different cables too, all of which work fine for my guitar. The odd thing is that after getting annoyed and walking away I came back to it and found that it was working fine until one day later where it's sort of half-working. A really quiet signal is getting through to the amp but it's quite an inconsistent sound.

Any ideas as to what's up? I would guess that there's a loose connection somewhere but I'm not gonna pretend I know what I'm talking about :P

Thanks for reading.
open up your P bass.

look at the electronics.

If any connections are broken or look loose then re solder them.

You may want to resolder the entire thing or re-wire it all.

I garentee that once you rewire your bass you'll never have any problems fixing any wiring related problems on your basses ever again!

Also - if you dont know how to use a soldering iron, get someone to show you. Its a real skill to have.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
One night I was playing my squier turned everything off went to bed, woke up the next day and had no sound. Me and my friend opened it up and took a look around and didn't see any problems with the wires. Took it to a local shop they replaced the input jack and now its fine.
Quote by Miss G
One night I was playing my squier turned everything off went to bed, woke up the next day and had no sound. Me and my friend opened it up and took a look around and didn't see any problems with the wires. Took it to a local shop they replaced the input jack and now its fine.

Chances are it wasn't the input jack but just some dodgy connection, but they replaced the jack just so they could tell you they'd done something.
Thanks guys, I've had a look inside and everything looks ok as far as I can tell so I'll get a mate to show me how to solder and have a crack at re-doing it all when I get a chance.

Thanks again
Quote by squirrel=win
Thanks guys, I've had a look inside and everything looks ok as far as I can tell so I'll get a mate to show me how to solder and have a crack at re-doing it all when I get a chance.

Thanks again

Honestly, Precision electronics are very easy and a good way to learn to repair your own instruments. Pots and wiring for a P bass are relatively inexpensive.
Quote by terb
If your bass is active check the battery. If the battery is dead you will not get any signal out. The battery is a standard 9V from the local grocery store.

Glad somebody pointed that out. Some people look really confused when I mention the battery inside their bass.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.