Simple as that. Discuss.

Edit: Not against it or anything just wondering.
Last edited by TheClincher at Apr 4, 2008,
No.

/thread.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I like it when it's used to show emotion on a subject, not to just to fill...
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by Kensai
No.

/thread.

/thread

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

No, I find it ruins the overall message when lyricists pack their songs full of fucks and stuff. Occasional swears are fine and sometimes even benificial, but it just seems pointless when people (read: Fred Durst) do it to inflate their clearly lacking genitalia.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Entirely depends on the conent, if it adds to the drama of a song, and makes a point, sure. But in (modern mainstream) hip-hop and stuff, there's no need. Chuck D never cursed unless he had to in Public Enemy, and let's face it, they're some of the best of the best.

So yeah, my answer is "if it needs it for feeling"
Quote by gorecore=me
is a bidet a type of crisp?
No, but swearing is cool...sup? you not cool? maybe you should come smoke, drink and swear. we're the cool kids here, not joinin'?
Depends on the subject matter.

NWA's "Fuck the Police" would certainly not be able to convey the same ideas as effectively as it does without a certain four letter word.
it's not necessary, because it'll have less of a chance of getting played on the radio, and a radio edit just sounds retarded with some songs.
is it unnecessary?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
That one song that goes "die mother f***** die mother f***** die!" over and over again couldn't convey the same feeling of crap without it =)
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
It's not necessary, I don't mind it when vocalists swear, but it never really adds anything to the music. For instance, I think Robb Flynn hurts the message of many of his songs by filling the lyrics with angry fucks; it's not a bad thing, but it insults his intelligence.

The lyrics in Exodus' new album are some of the angriest around, yet there's very little swearing, and the words are quite eloquently written. That is really impressive, in my eyes. When I write lyrics about bleak subjects, or angry and emotive ones I'll stay away from swearing, unless it's an obvious bone-headed anthem.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Get in the ring - Guns N' Roses, i would say with out it that song wouldn't work aswell.

But it's never neccessary.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by Metallica_Man55
it's not necessary, because it'll have less of a chance of getting played on the radio, and a radio edit just sounds retarded with some songs.
That's a good point, but I think if I wrote a song that a subject matter I feel strongly enough about to curse in, I wouldn't really care if they put it on the radio.

Wether they edit it is a different stroy though....
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by denizenz
Plenty of bands don't curse in their songs.

Sometimes it sounds good, but most of the time it shows a tremendous lack of vocabulary and creativity.

Yep. I think sometimes swearing gets the point across in the best possibly way, but usually there are more creative ways to do it.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
yes.....yes....yes...

it is to sometimes express things ala what music is about
GEAR:
PRS CU22 10 top with #10
Gibson lp studio (fireburst)
MIA 06' fender strat sss

Orange rockerverb 50 c

morley rotating speaker '62
" pro wah
mxr flanger '73
line 6 dl4 x2, fm4, dm4
mi audio tube zone
love pedal karl fuzz
No. Vocals aren't even necessary. Just a tune or melody is music.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Some swearing expresses a feeling to the song, but some bands think they are cool when they swear, and it makes their music complete utter **** (ex. Limp Bizkit)
i think over-all it's up the lyricist, they are the ones writing the music, and it's going to mean more to them than everyone else, it's how they feel about it within their own songs
Fuck no.

Since 99.9% of music out there doesn't have swearing in it, I don't see how this is a relevant topic.
Hi, I'm Peter