I find that it's really difficult for me to do this, and I was wondering if any of you had advice to help me.

Most of the time I can get a bar or two, but the rest seems to blur together.
Wanderlei war wagon.
actually, anything posted in this thread would be pretty helpful for me to atm, lol....gunna keep my eye on this one!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by :-D
Get a program that will allow you to slow the song down.

to go through that much effort i might aswell jst find the tab.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
So when i listen to the song, i first try to figure out the key its in, or the fast parts are in, like the solos or whatever. After i determine the key, i listen to the solo for any pentatonic patterns or anything that might drop hint to what they are playing. Figure out like four beats at a time. I learned the solo to "Bark at the Moon" that way in about a day or two.

I listen to Joe Satriani a lot and i can get some of the stuff. For the parts i cant get i watch a video of him playing the song so see where he is at on the fretboard. After figuring out the key and where he is playing, ta-da, i have found my answer.

So use videos, recordings, tabs or anything that might help you determine what scale he is playing and where he is playing it. Good Luck!
ultimate slow downer.

i think its pretty good as it lets you repeat one section over lots and lots, which is what i find you must do. otherwise just find the scales that its in and that gives a pretty good idea of where its going.

just give the song a bit of time, and depending on the song it doesnt necessarily matter if its perfect.
You deffinitly gotta be firmilliar with theory i.e. scales and modes etc..
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
build up to it. the more you play the more you recognize certain intervals and patterns. youll eventually be able to get a general idea of what somebody else is playing.

for now you could get tabs to practice or use guitar pro or something.
Well really, youll get alot better at it over time from just playing guitar. With guitar youll start understanding the notes and where they are, so when you hear a song itll just come to you. Most of the rock out today (and rock dating up to 50 years) are the same patterns.

Step 1, determine how high the pitch is. if its low then its probably going to be on the earlier half of the fret board..

Step 2, try to determine the key its in, and what scales they are using

It might be easier to jam with the song a few times, and then try to pick it out.
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
If you can't do it at the moment, then no amount of tips are going to help you. You have to keep learning music by ear, and gradually you'll get the ability. However, when you get that far, I do have a tip; sometimes just listen to the first and last notes in a run and "guess" what's in between. If you don't catch something when you're listening, you can fill in the gaps using trial and improvement.
Quote by National_Anthem
If you can't do it at the moment, then no amount of tips are going to help you. You have to keep learning music by ear, and gradually you'll get the ability. However, when you get that far, I do have a tip; sometimes just listen to the first and last notes in a run and "guess" what's in between. If you don't catch something when you're listening, you can fill in the gaps using trial and improvement.

Thanks.

but yeah, I kinda figured that there'd be nothing said that I didn't know. I guess it just helps knowing others are or have gone through the same thing.
Wanderlei war wagon.