I don't know if it's been doing it before but I noticed today when I took out the power cable of my FX pedal that my amp is picking up what sounds like some radio talk show! It's really weird!

Is this a normal thing?
Quote by Horlicks
Yes

Ah right!

Why is it doing it?

Are radio waves interfering with it?
put it somewhere that you cant get a good signal, possible a basement, it should help to get rid of it.......
yeah it's normal my amp dose it all the time it's kind of funny once i picked up someone on a phone sex line lol
Shay A.
Quote by shay-agony
yeah it's normal my amp dose it all the time it's kind of funny once i picked up someone on a phone sex line lol

No way! Man I never would have moved my amp from that spot again!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by shay-agony

Haha! Serious!?

I think I was picking up an American talk show!

By the way, it's very faint and not really causing problems! I only just noticed it today!
lol, I love it when it happens.
I was jamming with a few guys once, we just finished playing a song, and david letterman's top10 list was randomly playing through my amp...
priceless
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
Yeah, cables contribute to it. But its also something to do with the amps itself. Basically any audio device will have materials known as piezoceramics in them. This is a piece of material which, when an electrical current is passed through it, will vibrate, creating sound.

A radio signal relies on the principles of electromagnetics which create weak electrical currents. Wires in any piece of electrical equipment will give off their own magnetic field which also has a direct effect on the electrical current itself.

So bascially any strong radio signal will interfere with electrical current, and it is this which means an amp or guitar can pick up the radio
I was once had a speaker set. When I turned the volume to zero, I heard Turkish radio haha.
Cheers for the science lesson hazzmatazz - actually quite fascinating when you think about it, and it explains why crystal radios work without a power source too.

If you've got a wah pedal in your setup they can make matters much worse, due to the inductor I suppose? Try different cables with the best shielding you can find. Maybe wrap your amp in tinfoil... (reminds me of a practical joke we did back when I worked in an RAF Officers' Mess - totally covered some poor guy's car in tinfoil )

I had the same problem tracking my solo in the middle of a bloody recording session, in the end we just left it in the background and it can't really be picked out in the final mix.

Vaguely Interesting Trivia: The radio interference you describe is how the weird noises at the beginning of Satch's 'Flying In A Blue Dream' were created, supposedly.
Quote by kyle62
Cheers for the science lesson hazzmatazz - actually quite fascinating when you think about it, and it explains why crystal radios work without a power source too.

If you've got a wah pedal in your setup they can make matters much worse, due to the inductor I suppose? Try different cables with the best shielding you can find. Maybe wrap your amp in tinfoil... (reminds me of a practical joke we did back when I worked in an RAF Officers' Mess - totally covered some poor guy's car in tinfoil )

I had the same problem tracking my solo in the middle of a bloody recording session, in the end we just left it in the background and it can't really be picked out in the final mix.

Vaguely Interesting Trivia: The radio interference you describe is how the weird noises at the beginning of Satch's 'Flying In A Blue Dream' were created, supposedly.

I originally made this thread to make sure my amp wasn't messed up but it's actually tunred out to be really interesting! :p
yeah amps have a good chance of doing this lol my brother was playing on my amp one time and a car went up the road and i guess they were talking on a cell phone and it picked up over my amp and nearly scared my brother to death but yeah it's normel nothing to worry about
My marshall did this; I stopped playing to hear the sound of german radio! lol.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
What was funny is when i returned my bad cable to Guitar Center. They were like whats wrong with it. I stated it picks up talk radio stations and they looked at me crazy... Lol
Well...someone was saying something about Turkish and German radio, so idk...maybe not.
I've never experienced this, but i'm just guessing.
O O

___
mine has done this quite a lot, too. your cable is acting like an antenna, which are being picked up and amplified through your amp. btw, you don't have to move your amp to a different spot.
My old amp and speakers both picked up country radio. I think it's the circuitry in my home, I put my HRD on an independent circuit and it doesn't
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!