Gday fello ultimate guitar patrons
I've been playing guitar now for about 2 years and i'm finally ready to go out and gig with a couple of mates, unfortunatly i don't have an amp (10 watt prac amps don't count) and i know nothing about them,( a stack to me is a pile of pan cakes and a cab is an indians choice place of employment...) i'm gonna save up to around a grand (i'd prefer to spend around 500 so i can get it sooner) and was wondering what amps would be suitable for gigs. it has to be marshall.. why becuase all my favorite artists use marshall. now i found a few on ebay for and was wondering if i'm on the right path
heres the links

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Marshall-1960B-300-WATTS-NEW_W0QQitemZ250233202705QQihZ015QQcategoryZ58718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MARSHALL-VALVESTATE-VS265R-stereo-chorus-amp-2x65W_W0QQitemZ150232005919QQihZ005QQcategoryZ58718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Marshall-Guitar-Amplifier-100-watts_W0QQitemZ290215919118QQihZ019QQcategoryZ58718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

help me fello ultimate guitar patrons
your my only hope
p.s don't want to rent
Livin For the Music

dimebag420666 wrote:

i play guitar with my penis
dont get marshall, get a vox valvetronix or a line6 spiderIII they're really good amps and marshalls, all you're paying for is the name. tehy're no better qualioty
Well the top one was jst a cab from what i could see (you need a head piece with it, even more expense). what kind of stuff do you play.

Some marshall's are nice (higher range valve ones) mesa boogie make nice amps aswell.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by opc100
dont get marshall, get a vox valvetronix or a ROLAND CUBE they're really good amps, low end marshalls blow.

fixed
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
the marshall 1960 is a cab, just 4 speakers, you'll need an amplifier with that, although its a great cab, dont just go for marshall, there are plenty of great amps out there, certainly better than the valvestates
don´t buy a valvestate. maybe look for a used jcm 800 or 900 combo.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
You want a Peavey ValveKing 112. Very versitile amp. Plenty of balls for gigs.
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
Quote by opc100
dont get marshall, get a vox valvetronix or a line6 spiderIII they're really good amps and marshalls, all you're paying for is the name. tehy're no better qualioty

No, no, and did I mention no?

Peavey Classic 30 $599 Good for Blues and Classic Rock, passable for modern rock, if you play a lot of metal though you'll want to pass. You can get a Metal sound with a pedal, but it's certainly not meant for it.

Vox AC50CP2 $999 Similar to the Peavey. Better cleans, worse overdrive. Most people prefer this one. I don't.

Kustom '36 Coupe $849 Good for just about anything. More of a modern sound than the previous two amps.

Traynor YCV50 $743 Not much experience with these, but I've heard good things about them. I listened to someone noodle on it for 5 minutes and it sounded pretty good to me.

Peavey Valveking $599 Not a fan of these, but if you play a lot of Metal this would probably be one of the better choices in your price range.

You could also look at Orange amps. I can't say I like them, but they're very popular. Might be outside your price range.

Personally I'd take the Kustom Coupe or the Peavey Classic.
Quote by icronic
No, no, and did I mention no?

Peavey Classic 30 $599 Good for Blues and Classic Rock, passable for modern rock, if you play a lot of metal though you'll want to pass. You can get a Metal sound with a pedal, but it's certainly not meant for it.

Vox AC50CP2 $999 Similar to the Peavey. Better cleans, worse overdrive. Most people prefer this one. I don't.

Kustom '36 Coupe $849 Good for just about anything. More of a modern sound than the previous two amps.

Traynor YCV50 $743 Not much experience with these, but I've heard good things about them. I listened to someone noodle on it for 5 minutes and it sounded pretty good to me.

Peavey Valveking $599 Not a fan of these, but if you play a lot of Metal this would probably be one of the better choices in your price range.

You could also look at Orange amps. I can't say I like them, but they're very popular. Might be outside your price range.

Personally I'd take the Kustom Coupe or the Peavey Classic.

Good advice! Personally I'd take the Traynor
Quote by opc100

Line 6 Spider.......THEY ARE NOT GOOD AMPS!

Dont be mistaken by this fool.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Ibanez RGA7
Washburn KC-40V
Fender Mexican Strat
Axe FX 2
Peavey 6505
Laney 4x12 (V30's)
Samson PB10 Pro
TC Electronics G Major 2
BBE Sonic Maximizer 362
Korg DTR-2000
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Quote by opc100

Yes, I bought my friend a Vox amp, we went through a Marshall and a Traynor but the Vox just sounded so nice. Anything runs nicely through it, he's got a new Fender American Strat and it just sounds beautiful. Get this amp right here and you won't be sad http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC15CC1-Custom-Classic-1x12-Tube-Amp?sku=482625
You guys realize he's in Australia right?...prices there are uber inflated.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I suggest you listen to icronic - good post, same list I would have come up with though I'd forgotten about the Kustom Coupe - nice amps. Used amps are definitely the way to go, are Marshalls probably aren't. Oz isn't the best place for amps but you should be able to get something decent for your money...

The Orange Tiny Terror sounds closer to a 'proper' Marshall than most of Marshall's current line does, and new, the Traynor YCV is better than anything else you'll get for the price. I suggest you avoid anything with more than two 12" speakers, a half stack is a pain in the arse for extremely limited benefits -particularly at your level of experience. Also have a look for a used Mesa Boogie DC-3 or F-30/F-50, though you'd have to hunt around to find one. Good luck
Quote by opc100

i cna tyep 300 wodrs per mnitute !
Ok first of all thank you to everyone for your advice and imput (except for red strat... bloody lefties... :P) i play soft rock, eg like red hot chilli peppers and incubas mixed in with some white stripes and janes addiction AND just to make it interesting i love hte old stuff too hendrix, beatles (harrison mainly) , so i want something with a nice bright clean tone as for distortion i'm easy just not to heavy metal. oh and did i say marshall last time.. i ment vox or line 6... i have a zoom g9.2tt pedal that has amp modelling shoudl i just get so pa speakers instead.. just an idea
Livin For the Music

dimebag420666 wrote:

i play guitar with my penis
TS seeing as your an Auzzie, you dont really have much to play with here. Check out

Vox AD50VT

Roland Cube 60

Laney VC15

Deffinately stay away from marshalls and line 6s in your price range.

Keep an eye on this too

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Valve-Amplifier-Made-in-USA_W0QQitemZ220220035491QQihZ012QQcategoryZ58718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by beckyjc at Apr 5, 2008,
You now can find th jsx combo's used for under a $1000 They can do an offal lot of different tones.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by helsinki_vampir
don´t buy a valvestate. maybe look for a used jcm 800 or 900 combo.

+1