ok so im a guitarist about 2 n a half years n i have a friend who also plays but not as good as me n i teach him many techniques and songs so he is way under my level.So me and him played together for along time n we try to make a band with this drummer in his city not mine.So then my friend says i take to much spotlight so i cant play with "his"drummer.So fine all well and good so he trys to get his friend to play bass and doesnt work out.So hes left with no band.
So i see my old friend one day n he shows me his drums.We jam together n we think we shud make a band cuz were both impressed with eacchother.He says we need another guitarist and im thinking my friend.Should i let my friend join or shud i say screw him for screwing me over before and keeping "his"drummer?
Also ive been making songs and 1 song has a progression from a song i know does that matter if im trying to makean original?
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Do you -need- another guitarist? How good is your friend? Capable of playing in band at a decent level? Would you fall out again if you played together once more? Do you know any better guitarists?
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
yes we need another guitarist me and th edrummer both think so because i want to utilize my soloing ability cuz i have fast fingers.my friend is decent enough for him to play rhythm and such.Im sort of the band leader so far since i have the most expericenced and we both no of better guitarists but most i no live in another city and a kid i hate.We also need a bass player and the drummer noes a guitarist who plays bass. I dont know if i should screw over my friend as payback or not to because i already told him he has a possible chance of joining and hes been trying harder to play better since then.
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Then the answer is simple - give him another chance.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Quote by brooklynsoulja1
yes we need another guitarist me and th edrummer both think so because i want to utilize my soloing ability cuz i have fast fingers.my friend is decent enough for him to play rhythm and such.Im sort of the band leader so far since i have the most expericenced and we both no of better guitarists but most i no live in another city and a kid i hate.We also need a bass player and the drummer noes a guitarist who plays bass. I dont know if i should screw over my friend as payback or not to because i already told him he has a possible chance of joining and hes been trying harder to play better since then.

Since you're so good there's no reason why you can't play rhythm AND lead

Ever thought about adding a keyboard to the lineup?
Fills out the sound just as well and has a lot more possible uses than another guitar.
Yeah I wouldn't use that chord progression. Just make sure every time you come up with a chord progression you check it against every song you can think of out there, and if you don't find a match you're good. Seriously though, most chord progressions are a dime a dozen, they get used in millions of songs, so I wouldn't really worry too much there.
Just take whatever band you can - your playing will improve beyond measure, whether the band's any good or not. Grab whoever you can for the time being, if the band takes off I s'pose you can chop and change members as you see fit.
I'd say, find another guitarist, before he joins and attempts to steal back 'his' drummer. If he's not at you guys' level, you're better off with someone else who is.
Четвертый член в "Русскoй группe." PM Vindication to join.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG470

Peavey Bandit 112

Shooting for a PODxt

Forevermore

Kingston In Ruins
yeh. get the guitarist. and if he starts getting cocky again or anything, screw him over and give him the boot.

as for the song...

its really hard nower days to write a progression that hasnt already been made.

if it is similar enough that you and other people will go "hey that song sounds like so and so" then dont use it.

its not to hard to make a progression your own. just take the one that is done by the other band, and change it around a bit. change the tempo, change the strumming pattern, add little bits in, take other bits out, and bingo, your very own unique (hopefully) oringinal.

good luck with the band
Don't just 'screw him over' because that's what he did.
The roles are reversed now and you can now show that you are a better person than him by not doing that.
Be professional about it. Hold auditions for the 'rhythm guitar' position, and ask him to audition, making sure that the 'position' is made clear to him and that he knows before hand what exactly what you require of him.
It doesn't matter that you may or may not have any other guitarists auditioning, if you have, great, you may find someone else who's better suited to the position, if not, don't tell him that there's only him auditioning.
This way you can try him out first without commiting yourselves and if his style compliments the band, and if he seems happy with his position, ask him to join.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Don't just 'screw him over' because that's what he did.
The roles are reversed now and you can now show that you are a better person than him by not doing that.
Be professional about it. Hold auditions for the 'rhythm guitar' position, and ask him to audition, making sure that the 'position' is made clear to him and that he knows before hand what exactly what you require of him.
It doesn't matter that you may or may not have any other guitarists auditioning, if you have, great, you may find someone else who's better suited to the position, if not, don't tell him that there's only him auditioning.
This way you can try him out first without commiting yourselves and if his style compliments the band, and if he seems happy with his position, ask him to join.

ZOGMgjg omg i never thought the famous SLACKBABBATH wud b in my thread o man o man thats so awesome lol
Quote by Allnightmask22

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Quote by brooklynsoulja1
ZOGMgjg omg i never thought the famous SLACKBABBATH wud b in my thread o man o man thats so awesome lol

Hey buddy, you're from Brooklyn right? Could you do me a favour? If you ever bump into a band called 'Bloodroot,' (I believe they are based in Brooklyn and have a deal with Managerie Records, 440 5th Avenue) fronted by a blind guy called Johnny Young, say hello for me?
I met them when my agent asked me to look after them when they played at a venue that was local to me while they were touring over here in the UK, and they are some of the nicest people I've ever met.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 7, 2008,