I've played on some Gibson LP's and I kinda like them. As I am poor, I'm eying an Epi LP right now. I know that ESP and many other brands have models with the same look as LP's and I'm wondering are they any better? I've heard good and bad things about Epi/Gibsons, so I'm curious what more knowledgeable people think. I make sorry attempts at playing classic rock and like the sound/love the look of the LP. Are some off-brand LP copies better? Enlighten me please.
I don't know that they're better, but some of these are at least as good:

Orville - basically Gibson Japan, Burny - a division of Fernandes, and Greco.

If you can find a set-neck one, the old Ibanez ones are class too.
The ESP ES-1000 or ES-100 with seymour duncan pickups get great reviews. I'm a lefty so I haven't seen one to try out myself. I would look at them first then checkout how the gibsons compare.
Epi SG G400 Lefty
Modded Valve Junior
Noisy Cricket 1/2 Watt

Toneport GX
Well, I've heard the old Hagstroms are really good, but since they aren't made in Sweden anymore they have gotten worse. Perhaps I've heard wrong. I'll be sure to check out the ESP's and the Ibanez. Thanks.
Hagström Swede's or Super Swede's doesn't look exactly like a LP, but soundwise they should be pretty close. The few ones I've tried has been a LOT better than the Epi I have, and I mean A LOT. And the Epi I have are not a bad one. Check those out and don't be stupid. They cost less than a Epi Custom and only a bit more than a Standard here. If you buy a Epi just for that it looks more like a real LP, you're really stupid. Really, really stupid. The Swede's I've tried beat the Gibson LP Studio for twice the money, no question about it at all.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Flying Couch
I don't know that they're better, but some of these are at least as good:

Orville - basically Gibson Japan, Burny - a division of Fernandes, and Greco.

If you can find a set-neck one, the old Ibanez ones are class too.

Don't the Epiphone Prophecy series have set necks? Anyway I can find some LPs for you to look at (others can comment on them).

Epiphone Les Paul 100
Epiphone Les Paul 1956 Goldtop
Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus(+)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II (Starter guitar, not that great...)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-Top
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-II
Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul EX (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul GX (Dirty Fingers and push-pull volume pot)
Epiphone Slash Standard Plus-Top Les Paul
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Bullseye Les Paul
Epiphone Zakk Wydle Buzzsaw Les Paul
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Camo Les Paul
ESP Eclipse
ESP Eclipse-II
ESP EC-SIN/EC-GTA
ESP EC-1000 Series
ESP EC Series
Dean USA Lesley West Signature
Dean Lesley West Standard
Dean USA Soltero
Dean USA MHG - Soltero
Dean Soltero SL
Dean Soltero Standard
Dean EVO
Dean Palomino
Gibson Digital Les Paul
Gibson USA Les Paul Supreme
Gibson USA Les Paul Robot Studio
Gibson USA Les Paul Standard
Gibson USA Les Paul Classic Antique
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Gibson USA Billie Joe Armstrong Les Paul Junior
Gibson USA Les Paul Studio
Gibson USA Les Paul BFG Limited
Gibson Custom Les Paul 1957 Junior Single Cutaway
Gibson Custom 1956 Goldtop Les Paul
Gibson Custom 1957 Goldtop Les Paul
Gibson Custom 1957 Custom Les Paul
Gibson Custom 1958 Double Cutaway Les Paul
Gibson Custom 1960 Special Single Cutaway Les Paul
Gibson Custom 1960 Special Double Cutaway Les Paul
Gibson Custom 1958 Les Paul Standard
Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul Standard
Gibson Custom 1960 Les Paul Standard
Gibson Custom Class 5 Quilt Top Les Paul
Gibson Custom Les Paul... Custom
SX GG1 SII BO TRW
Douglas Shadow CSB
Douglas Shadow 2TS
Douglas Shadow BK
SX GG1 STD Bolt On CSB
Shadow Pack 2TS
SX GG1 CLA Gold Top
Douglas WT-445 White
SX GG1 CUS Black
SX GG1 CUS Wine Red
Agile AL-2000 White Chrome Hardware
Agile AL-2000 3TS Spalted
Agile AL-2000 Black P90
Agile AL-2000 Flame Top Left Handed
Agile AL-2500 White Gold HW
Agile AL-2500 Tribal Green
Agile Dauntless EMG Gold
Agile Dauntless EMG Green Flame
Agile Dauntless SBD CSBF
Agile Dauntless EMG Silverburst
Agile AL-2500 12 String White
Agile AL-2800 Uniform Profile CSB Flame
Agile Al-2800 Uniform Profile Blue Quilt
Agile AL-2800 Baritone Silverburst
Agile AL-3000 Black
Agile AL-3000 CSB Slim Profile Neck
Agile AL-3000 HSBF Slim
Agile AL-3100 Black Slim Profile
Agile AL-3100 CSB Slim Profile
Agile AL-3100 Black
Agile AL-3000 Rootbeer Slim Profile
Agile AL-3000 CSB P90
Agile AL-3000 Black Slim Profile
Agile AL-3000 Nat Spalted
Agile AL-3000 Nat Spalted Slim Profile
Agile AL-3100 White Chrome HW
Agile Al-3100 CSB Wide
Agile AL-3000 Fretless Black
Agile AL-2900 Chambered BK
Agile AL-3000MAP Black
Agile AL-3000MAP Black EMG

These are all the ones I know of... I know it probably doesn't answer your question but go look through those... They also probably have Danelectro ones but I don't feel like going to find them...
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Last edited by Slash546 at Apr 4, 2008,
The Hagstrom quality is NOT worse than before. These things are phenomenal
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I would definitely try to look at these Michael Kelly Patriots.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Yeah... like said. The new Hagström are not as good as they were made under the 80' (the marginal isn't really big anyway...). Right now they are being made in factories in China and if I got my information right some of them are the same place as of Epiphone.
The quality can be place in between Medium Range Epiphones and Low Range Gibsons.

I checked the Ultra Swede a few days ago and it's pretty decent guitar for such low price. The Swede/Super Swede aren't bad either. I just don't really like the stock pickups but I can bet a pair of EMG would scream on those. One thing is for sure. They have really beautiful flame top finishes!
Last edited by hminh87 at Apr 4, 2008,
Quote by FacingUsAll
I would definitely try to look at these Michael Kelly Patriots.

lol...still plugging the patriots huh
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
lol...still plugging the patriots huh

People will figure out that they are amazing guitars sooner or later.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Slash546
Don't the Epiphone Prophecy series have set necks? Anyway I can find some LPs for you to look at (others can comment on them).
IIRC, almost all Epis have set necks. Ibanez had mostly bolt-ons though.

Por ejemplo:

You can't see it in the pic, but this one has a bolt-on.

TS, I thought you meant strictly Les Pauls. I didn't know we were talking about just the general shape. If you're willing to look at a double-cutaway, maybe an Ibanez Artist? They're pretty rad.

Yeah, I think the double-cutaway looks is pretty spiffy too. I'm not experienced with electric guitars, so I'm not really sure what to go with, but I love the LP style, so I'm hoping to get something that looks similar that plays good. Thanks for all the advice
I own an Epi Les Paul standard, and I LOVE it.

I can only tell the difference between it and a Gibson by the ever so slightly lower quality of wood used in the headstock.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
This is an old thread but I have to chime in here.
I had Hagstrom guitars and basses back in the 70's and they were great. I customize and repair guitars, so I do know a bit about them (not calling myself an expert here...)
The new ones are not only good, but AWESOME! I have a Swede, Viking and Ultralux XL-5 and they all are top quality. They are BEAUTIFULLY constructed and finished. The pickups are not the hottest, but I have other guitars for that. The Swede is NOT a Les Paul copy it has it's own darker smokey character, which I would never change. The Ultralux XL-5 is just a pleasure to play, and the Indian Summer maple top is beautiful!.
I was a bit nervous about the made in China thing too, but I read that Hagstrom didn't just job this out but were and are very involved in setting up and maintaining quality in the factory. I DID hear that there were a few startup issues in 2005-06, but every one I have come across has been top notch. I have sold a few of these and everyone is very satisfied. EVERYONE that has played any of mine is surprised at how great they are overall (you see that I have become "Hagstrom Guy" lol)
By the way, Swede, Super Swede and Ultra Swede would imply that the Ultra is the top of the line but Ultra is actually the lower end (still awesome tho..) Its part of the Ultralux line which has the thinnest necks of all, and that is from a company KNOWN for their fast necks! Same goes for the Viking - Ultralux models are less expensive. After playing my XL-5 for a while, my SG's neck seems like a log (a very nice log tho!)
I URGE every guitar player to check out a Hagstrom. I defy you to not like it!
I play in a band (hardcore/metal, probably not QUITE what you want) with a guitar player who uses an ESP Les Paul copy; he sold his real Les Paul to buy it. He loves it.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by RoadKingRick
This is an old thread but I have to chime in here.

No, you really didn't....maybe if it were a month old or something, but 2 years?
Quote by siverstorm
No, you really didn't....maybe if it were a month old or something, but 2 years?

I did... I really really did..
Quote by RoadKingRick
I did... I really really did..

No not really. Not really really. You posted what's almost an ad two years later. If he hasn't made up his mind on something in that time he never will, and I doubt he read that and said "well shit, this guy loves Hagstrom, I guess I should sell this guitar I've had for two years and run to buy that thing!"

If he's even still active.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
The ESP's Eclipse and EC series are great guitars... better than many low and medium end Gibsons... I say that because I haven't tried a high end Gibby
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
@ Siverstorm & Pink Muse:

inb4 close.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by oral1139
I play in a band (hardcore/metal, probably not QUITE what you want) with a guitar player who uses an ESP Les Paul copy; he sold his real Les Paul to buy it. He loves it.

yeah well, ESP are more metal guitars then usual gibsons, so if that's what TS is looking for i would certainly recommend it to him. EC-1000 are great ones.
3 year old thread bumped by idiot.

reported for close.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 17, 2011,