Page 1 of 3
So what's your favorite operating system? Right now I'm running windows xp for games, and slowly learning how to use linux.

So I guess my favorite OS would be a toss up between Mac OS 10.x and debian.

What's yours?!
Ibanez RG7321
B.C. Rich Dagger
Crate GX40X XL
Quote by Maddox
Littering kicks ass.
Last edited by UG_Username at Apr 4, 2008,
Ubuntu.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
OSX is my favorite right now.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
I use Vista most of the time, and I think it's better than XP. But overall, I don't really hold any OS in favor of the others.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
XP. It's simple and runs games.

Anyone that gives more than a small snort or shrug about their operating system clearly has too much time on their hands.
Quote by Haanz
XP. It's simple and runs games.

Anyone that gives more than a small snort or shrug about their operating system clearly has too much time on their hands.

You couldn't have said it better.
Windows XP Pro stripped down using nLite.

As far as Linux goes, SuSE 10.
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
Quote by SilentDeftone
OS X Tiger. Haven't used Leopard yet.

-SD

I've heard Leopard isn't good at the moment, but what new OS is?
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Linux > Windows

As for distro, i'm using ubuntu and i like it. CLFS and Gentoo are good as well, although less harder to use for some people.
Quote by SilentDeftone
OS X Tiger. Haven't used Leopard yet.

-SD

It's like Tiger, only better. Apple tend to improve when they upgrade an OS...
Quote by davedoom
anything to do with mac

never failed

yup
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
i have vista ultimate and im happy with it.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Quote by bequickorbedead
It's like Tiger, only better. Apple tend to improve when they upgrade an OS...

+5 using Leopard, had Tiger and XP before and prefer Leopard!
Quote by robertreilly666
i have vista ultimate and im happy with it.

April's fools day was four days ago.
Ibanez RG7321
B.C. Rich Dagger
Crate GX40X XL
Quote by Maddox
Littering kicks ass.
Quote by loeuf
+5 using Leopard, had Tiger and XP before and prefer Leopard!

Same. XP isn't bad and I have it installed with Bootcamp, but Leopard is 10000x better...
Quote by Haanz

Or they make extensive use of their computer and their operating system makes a significant difference towards getting work done…

-SD
Quote by SilentDeftone
Or they make extensive use of their computer and their operating system makes a significant difference towards getting work done…

-SD

Well said, sir.
Ibanez RG7321
B.C. Rich Dagger
Crate GX40X XL
Quote by Maddox
Littering kicks ass.
Win 2k3

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

I find it entertaining that over the past few years there has been some massive switch to Linux and everyone seems to think it is some sort of godsend. I personally think that over the past 6 months to a year, the open source nutjobs have become even more annoying than Macheads are/were.

The truth is that there are very few people in this community that could make a legitimate technical argument for or against the use of any one operating system, which means everyone else is going based on preference. There is nothing wrong with that, but don't run around insulting someone else's preference unless you have some technical reasoning to back it up.

Anyhow, that rant aside. I use OpenBSD on most of my networking/server boxen, Vista on some of my desktops and I have one Mac I use for some work stuff since I need a shell. I also run a few VMs for various reasons (FreeBSD 7.0, Windows XP SP2, slax) and have a few other boxes that get various different operating systems depending on what I need at the moment.

Of those, I think OS X has the best UI, but I don't trust Apple's ability to code a toaster correctly. From a security perspective, Vista is years ahead of OS X, and OpenBSD is a little ways ahead of Vista, but isn't very user friendly. As far as internals go, I think they are all equally interesting They all have their uses and there are some I would use for certain things, but not for others.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
XP. And yes, I have used a Mac. I use them all the time at college but still prefer XP.

Quote by LordSephiroth
I don't trust Apple's ability to code a toaster correctly. From a security perspective, Vista is years ahead of OS X

Explain?
Last edited by bequickorbedead at Apr 4, 2008,
Windows Xp.

I also have a computer at home with Windows 3.11, an OS from 1993.
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

Quote by StreetLight3989
I've heard Leopard isn't good at the moment, but what new OS is?

You heard wrong.
Quote by LordSephiroth
and I have one Mac I use for some work stuff since I need a shell.

For me, using a computer without bash is like making a sandwich without bread.

-SD
Quote by bequickorbedead

Lol, that made me smile

I'm not going to try and say that any Windows product is brilliant, far from that. I've just been using it longer and know the ins and outs far better than I do for OS X. It's a damn good operating system, just not for me.
Quote by SilentDeftone
For me, using a computer without bash is like making a sandwich without bread.

Indeed. I <3 vim, nmap, grep, python, yadda yadda.

Explain?

Here we go again :P You've been here for 4 years, I'm surprised you haven't seen me griping about this before.

I could go on for ages, but Apple just has a pisspoor record for writing secure code and properly implementing things in their operating system to prevent exploitation. The bugs that are being found in Apple products are insanely stupid and simple, things Microsoft worked out over 4 years ago with the SDL.

They did add some interesting new exploitation prevention features in Leopard, the problem is the none of them were implemented correctly. Everything was done halfway, for instance they added sandboxing with seatbelt, but they didn't sandbox anything that mattered aside from mDNSResponder (e.g. Safari, Mail, iChat). They implemented some level of address space randomization and non-executable memory, but again, was only done halfway, they didn't bother randomizing anything that mattered. All of these things were implemented correctly in Vista before Leopard, which leads me to believe that the only reason we see them in Leopard is for marketing, which makes me wonder if Apple's product security team is managed by developers or marketing personnel.
Quote by LordSephiroth
Indeed. I <3 vim, nmap, grep, python, yadda yadda.

Here we go again :P You've been here for 4 years, I'm surprised you haven't seen me griping about this before.

I could go on for ages, but Apple just has a pisspoor record for writing secure code and properly implementing things in their operating system to prevent exploitation. The bugs that are being found in Apple products are insanely stupid and simple, things Microsoft worked out over 4 years ago with the SDL.

They did add some interesting new exploitation prevention features in Leopard, the problem is the none of them were implemented correctly. Everything was done halfway, for instance they added sandboxing with seatbelt, but they didn't sandbox anything that mattered aside from mDNSResponder (e.g. Safari, Mail, iChat). They implemented some level of address space randomization and non-executable memory, but again, was only done halfway, they didn't bother randomizing anything that mattered. All of these things were implemented correctly in Vista before Leopard, which leads me to believe that the only reason we see them in Leopard is for marketing, which makes me wonder if Apple's product security team is managed by developers or marketing personnel.

I'm not an expert in all things that, but I've never had any problems with security. I know I get regular security updates from Apple. And just so you know, I was just wondering, not saying I didn't believe you.

...and yes, Apples security team is probably run by marketing personnel.
Page 1 of 3