I haven't played one but I'm one to trust that Epi and Gibson wouldn't sell if it was ****ty. Unless it's one of their cheap 150-200 SGs.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

I dont know if your gonna get much feedback because their pretty new guitars, but they look pretty sick, and EMG's = thumbs up

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
I had the chance to play one, but unfortunately I didn't. They don't look as nice in person, though.
Quote by pfa
Has anyone got a link?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=epiphone+prophecy&st=

All of these are Epiphone Prophecy guitars - a new line put out by Epiphone. They all come with 24 fret necks and ebony fingerboard and have EMG/Dirty Fingers pickups.

They look pretty good and seem to be on par with Epiphone Elitists for half the cost.

Anyone used one of these?
i played the SG with EMGs it was ok nothing spectacular
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
Quote by Raijouta

They look pretty good and seem to be on par with Epiphone Elitists for half the cost.
They're nowhere near as good as an Elitist, fyi.

That said, they are pretty good. For really heavy metal (e.g. death, doom, and heavy gothic metal), fit the Prophecy guitars with thick strings (.11 at least) and you'll get a superb tone out of the bridge position - better than any Gibson model, I can say for sure (the thicker poly finish that Epiphone uses gives a darker tone than any Gibsons, which use a thinner nitro finish. Obviously for those genres of metal, having a really dark tone is superb). I'd say the passive Dirty Finger pickups are tonally a better way to go than the EMG actives, though of course actives have the advantage of less static noise when using heavy distortion pedal units or driving an amp hard for overdrive.

That said, I think the SG version is a little pointless. These Prophecy guitars are good for obscure, dark metal genres only, and the lighter SG body goes against that. Though of course if you're using the active EMGs, then it doesn't make as much difference.

Overall, I'd say they're pretty good, but they're too specific, not versatile at all, and you can do better just modding something like an ESP EC or Viper instead.
I tried the SG with emgs. I think it cost too much for what it is. Having 24 frets is quite useless when it's already hard to reach the 17th fret. The neck is very thin and got a satin finish, so it's really fast. The 'ebony' fretboard looks like rosewood with wide grain. So it's probably very poor quality ebony or its rosewood. For 750$ you can get something far better like a Jackson. Total disappointment.
Quote by Zarathoustra_
I tried the SG with emgs. I think it cost too much for what it is. Having 24 frets is quite useless when it's already hard to reach the 17th fret. The neck is very thin and got a satin finish, so it's really fast. The 'ebony' fretboard looks like rosewood with wide grain. So it's probably very poor quality ebony or its rosewood. For 750$ you can get something far better like a Jackson. Total disappointment.

Why is it hard to reach the higher frets? I would've thought there would be much easier access on an SG?
Quote by guitarsonist
Why is it hard to reach the higher frets? I would've thought there would be much easier access on an SG?

I have a Gibson SG-X which have 24 frets, and it's even easy to reach the low E-string at the 24th fret
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
ok , i recently bought one. i have the les paul gx
its quite beautiful and it sounds great through my ad15vt.
i compared it to a les paul custom, and it sounds MUCH better for just $50 more. its because of the gibson dirty fingers. the custom had muddier pick ups.
i dont have any problems with it so far except that it only has 2 tone/volume knobs.
im fairly new to electric guitars, but i can tell when something sounds good.

it feels nice too, the neck feels slim and it has 24 frets (with some stylish fret inlays), so thats a plus. hard to reach and times, but its good when you need them

its maybe not as versatile as the custom but i manage to use it for whatever genre i want
Last edited by mugen_infinity at Aug 19, 2008,