Hi guys just got a few questions that are pretty basic

When following the pattern M m m M M m Dim in playing chords, where do seventh chords fit in, like its possible to play a seventh chord that is neither major or minor isnt it, so where would they fit in into the pattern?

Also, when im playing something on my guitar. how can i find out the key of what i am playing.
Quote by hurricanefresh
Hi guys just got a few questions that are pretty basic

When following the pattern M m m M M m Dim in playing chords, where do seventh chords fit in, like its possible to play a seventh chord that is neither major or minor isnt it, so where would they fit in into the pattern?

Also, when im playing something on my guitar. how can i find out the key of what i am playing.

Seventh chords are triads, but with, you guessed it, a seventh over the top. That is to say, a note, such that the interval between it and the root is a seventh, is played over the chord. The seventh is always going to be diatonic (whether the seventh is sharpened, flattened or natural is governed by the key signature), unless the seventh chord is being used to modulate, in which case it will be diatonic to the new key.
EDIT: To find out the key, you need to look at all the accidentals used in the piece, and find the key signature that matches. You can also look at cadences, but I'm not sure how much theory you know, and I'm guessing you don't know what cadences are, yet.
So what do you mean by its going to be diatonic? Also, no i just started looking at cadences but i didnt quite understand, whats a good place to start looking at cadences? and just quickly what is a cadence?"
i still dont really undertstand where 7ths fit in, if im playing A c major chord, the chord pattern (guaranteed chord patter) if C major B minor D minor E major F major Gminor Aminor Dim, now where do 7ths fit in? As in, if i put a 7th on the second chord will it have to be a minor? I know i can break these rules to write a song but yeah just wondering.
thanks man
Quote by hurricanefresh
So what do you mean by its going to be diatonic? Also, no i just started looking at cadences but i didnt quite understand, whats a good place to start looking at cadences? and just quickly what is a cadence?"
i still dont really undertstand where 7ths fit in, if im playing A c major chord, the chord pattern (guaranteed chord patter) if C major B minor D minor E major F major Gminor Aminor Dim, now where do 7ths fit in? As in, if i put a 7th on the second chord will it have to be a minor? I know i can break these rules to write a song but yeah just wondering.
thanks man

I think you mean C Dmin Emin F G Amin Bdim

There's a really awesome column on this website, in the search bar search for "crusade"
with columns selected. It explains everything very well. And if you wanted the second chord to fit into C major, yes, it would be D min 7. Otherwise, if you used D7 (dominant), the notes in the chord would be D F# A C, and F# doesn't occur in the C major scale. Likewise, if you used D maj 7 (D F# A C#), F# and C# don't occur in C major. However, no one's saying you can't do it, it just might sound a little off.