Page 1 of 2
'on' switch

nah, mine is only 15W and doesnt have any standby shenanegans

check the stickies?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Standby (wait about a minute) > On

Standby (for next time) > Off

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
This is what marshall says to do, but is says turn the standby switch off when taking a break, WTF?
✪ User Hint - This switch should be used for
(a) allowing the amp to warm up before turning
the Standby on (at least a minute - preferably 2/3
minutes if possible) and (b) turn the Standby
switch off when taking a break (rather than
turning off the whole amp), thereby keeping
your amp at the ‘ready’, without waiting for it to
warm up again. Remember to do these two
simple rules and your valves will love you for it
and should last an awful lot longer before
replacement is needed.
Have it setup with a shock sensor. So i can walk over to it smack it and say Aaay like the Fonz and it turns on....

Not really but it would be smooth lol
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Apr 4, 2008,
Quote by skoal123
This is what marshall says to do, but is says turn the standby switch off when taking a break, WTF?
replacement is needed.

What's so strange about keeping the tubes warm while taking a break?
You don't need to leave it on standby for a minute! Let alone 2 to 3!

I leave it about 15 - 30 seconds. Just to warm the tubes up. That's it.

As for turning it off - You turn the power switch off, or you unplug it. It DOESN'T MATTER! And no, you don't have to put it on standby before turning off. It doesn't help 'cool' the tubes more gradually and doesn't prolong their life.
I thought you where suppose to, turn on standby to let the amp warm up, then turn on the power to play with standby still on the whole time. So are you suppose to turn standby off after you turn the power ON?

/Facepalm
Quote by skoal123
replacement is needed.

I do it all the time... Ill play for a bit then take a quick break and look some stuff on the net or use the restroom then come back click the switch and im instantly ready to go... In the gigging world this is good if you've got your gear on stage but your waiting to get started or if your taking a small break in between sets so you dont have to wait for your tubes to warm up again.
Quote by skoal123
I thought you where suppose to, turn on standby to let the amp warm up, then turn on the power to play with standby still on the whole time. So are you suppose to turn standby off after you turn the power ON?

/Facepalm

standby off the whole time you play.

see the thing is, the most wear of tubes, comes with sudden changes.
so the on / off switch is it's worst enemy.
think of the standby as a gradual portal to the on / off world.

edit: **** i just realized i said it wrong, cause it's a freaking standby so it's off standby when it's on, haha sorry about that geez.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Apr 4, 2008,
Quote by kyrreca
What's so strange about keeping the tubes warm while taking a break?

Nothing. It's just that they say to turn OFF standby to take a break when it is the other way around.

Standby means standing by. So when standby is ON it is standing by (lights on but noone's home you know). When you turn standby OFF it is no longer standing by, then obviously the sound comes through and you face face melting solos power slides and big hair.....or something like that.

So there is the idiots guide to the word standby.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Nothing. It's just that they say to turn OFF standby to take a break when it is the other way around.

Standby means standing by. So when standby is ON it is standing by (lights on but noone's home you know). When you turn standby OFF it is no longer standing by, then obviously the sound comes through and you face face melting solos power slides and big hair.....or something like that.

So there is the idiots guide to the word standby.

So you're calling me an idiot?

Quote by kyrreca
So you're calling me an idiot?

No I'm calling Marshall idiots lol
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
No I'm calling Marshall idiots lol

Can't argue with that.
It is simple...

First, turn the power on, with stand by on. Let it just sit for a little while (as noted, like 30 seconds is enough time). Then, turn off the stand by.

When you want to turn off the amp... you should put it back on stand by, and again let it sit for a little while, then turn the amp's power off.

The reason you are supposed to use stand by is to keep your tubes from breaking on you. Typically, your tubes get cold (relatively speaking) after not being used for awhile. When you turn on the amp, when you put it on standby, what it does is that it sends a small voltage through the tubes; this warms them up. That way, when you switch it to on, and start playing with loud volumes (ie, a lot more voltage, and thus a lot more heat; this is why your tubes get so hot and you're not supposed to touch them), your tubes won't break. If you were to just turn your amp on and start playing at really loud volumes (with out stand by), you have a high likelihood of breaking the tubes (because of going from relatively cool to a sudden jump in heat, you risk causing cracks in the glass of the tube, which ruins a tube).
^ How long have you been back? Good to see you.

I'll assume you are talking to me? lol

Not too long, maybe a month now. Have a lot more free time this semester, so I started getting back into playing guitar, and well, a natural part of that was coming back by these forums lol... I also get a lot of free time in one of my boring engineering classes, so I pass the time now surfing these forums on my laptop while in class.
if you want your valves to last you long, leave it on standby for a while before switching it on or off.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
I have to admit I have been using tubed amps for 30 years and I have never seen cracks in the glass. That is a new one to me. As I try not to laugh so hard.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by CyBerAliEn
It is simple...

First, turn the power on, with stand by on. Let it just sit for a little while (as noted, like 30 seconds is enough time). Then, turn off the stand by.

When you want to turn off the amp... you should put it back on stand by, and again let it sit for a little while, then turn the amp's power off.

The reason you are supposed to use stand by is to keep your tubes from breaking on you. Typically, your tubes get cold (relatively speaking) after not being used for awhile. When you turn on the amp, when you put it on standby, what it does is that it sends a small voltage through the tubes; this warms them up. That way, when you switch it to on, and start playing with loud volumes (ie, a lot more voltage, and thus a lot more heat; this is why your tubes get so hot and you're not supposed to touch them), your tubes won't break. If you were to just turn your amp on and start playing at really loud volumes (with out stand by), you have a high likelihood of breaking the tubes (because of going from relatively cool to a sudden jump in heat, you risk causing cracks in the glass of the tube, which ruins a tube).

OK I might agree with you with the warm up time, but when you turn off your amp I don't see any reason to go through standby for a while to turn off your amp.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by modernp
I have to admit I have been using tubed amps for 30 years and I have never seen cracks in the glass. That is a new one to me. As I try not to laugh so hard.

they put in in the manuals. but the whole process is debated constantly.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Ventor
OK I might agree with you with the warm up time, but when you turn off your amp I don't see any reason to go through standby for a while to turn off your amp.

It avoids your amp from making a loud pop which from what i have read can damage speakers. Plus the pop is annoying as hell and extremely loud at times. I hate when i forget to switch mine into standby.
I turn my amp on and off the same way I turn my girlfriend on and off. I turn her on, leave her on standby, take her off standby, play with her, and then turn her off completely.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Just stumbled across this thread. I know this might sound heretical, but in most guitar amp applications, using the standby switch does NOT prolong the life of your valves - it's really just a nice 'mute' switch. You've got two issues - cathode stripping, and cathode poisoning. Cathode stripping happens when you apply B+ (the high voltage supply in a tube amp) to a 'cold' valve. The high potential at the plate, with a cold cathode can strip some of the material off the cathode. However, this is only happens to any appreciable degree with much higher voltages than you see in most guitar amps. Cathode poisoning occurs when you leave the heaters on without B+ applied, and can reduce the emission of electrons from the cathode. This is more of a worry in guitar amps, and can be reduced by not leaving your amp on standby for too long.

The use of a standby switch is really a hangover from the days of ham radio, where the radio transmitters would run on thousands of volts, and NEEDED a standby switch to protect the valves. The truth of the matter is that the voltages in guitar amps are inconsequential in comparison, and all you've really got is a nice mute switch. By all means, keep on using it if it makes you happy. But don't stress if you forget to turn it to standby first - it's not going to kill your valves.
standby off for 20 seconds and then flick the switch.
ENGL Fireball
KMD XV100SD
Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
Anyone who says that leaving the amp on standby before turning it off will prolong tube life is WRONG. Standby keeps the tubes hot, and if you're turning the amp off, why would you want them to be hot?
If you don't want it to pop, flip the standby and then flip the power. You don't have to wait for more than a second. I normally just click both off at the same time, and I've never had a single problem in 12 years of owning a tube amp.

You only need to leave it on standby for 15 to 30 seconds when starting cold. Any longer will not prolong your tube life at all. I have a Peavey Delta Blues 30w combo that has no standby, and it only takes like 12 seconds to heat up to full operating temperature.

If you leave it on standby for more than 10-12 minutes, you'll start taking life off the tubes. If you're taking that long of a break its best to power down completely and power up again later.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I just turn it on and off. Nothing else.

Btw, haven't these threads been done to death before?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Retribution
You don't need to leave it on standby for a minute! Let alone 2 to 3!

I leave it about 15 - 30 seconds. Just to warm the tubes up. That's it.

As for turning it off - You turn the power switch off, or you unplug it. It DOESN'T MATTER! And no, you don't have to put it on standby before turning off. It doesn't help 'cool' the tubes more gradually and doesn't prolong their life.

this is correct. its really annoying to me that this is 100% correct, yet people kept posting and saying some dumb things. i think his post deserves this:
/thread
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Well......

First plug in all your gear then turn on the power switch, but you don't really need to plug in your gear first, after you turn the power on and have or have not plugged in your gear then be sure to turn on, or off, your standby switch. Sometimes it's on. Sometimes it's off, depending on the company. After you've determined what's on and what's off be sure to double check the power switch and plug in your gear if you haven't already done so. If your amp has been warming up on/off standby it is now time to engage your amp for playing by turning your standby switch on/off. But don't turn on your standby switch too soon after the power switch because the tubes might crack. After powering up the amp with the power switch wait one or two or four minutes to flip the standby switch. Not three minutes! At this point you might want to check the connections around back not once, not twice, but thrice. Your amp should be fully playable by now so plug in your guitar and play something. If you don't hear anything be sure to check the amp and guitar volumes as well as your connections, power switch, and standby switch. If there is still no sound, reverse this enitre process and start over skipping steps 2, 4, and 5. If you do hear some guitar noise, then you are ready to go with the exception any gear/effects you may/may not want to incorperate into your rig. If you have an acoustic guitar you are screwed. While playing remember not to accidentally turn off your power switch or standby switch. To turn off your amp just choose either your power switch OR standby switch and turn it off/on (depending on the company). Wait exactly 34 seconds and press the other switch that you haven't previously switched. By this time both switches are switched and your amp is now unplayable. Now it is time to wait for your amp to cool. The best thing to do here is walk around and talk to friends and perhaps get a drink at the bar if the venue has alcohol. The key here is to distract yourself as much as possible so that would-be thieves have a great opportunity to steal your gear when you aren't paying attention. If you make it back to your amp without it being stolen then you are now ready to bring it outside. If it is cold outside and your tubes are still slightly warm, be sure to dump a bag of ice into the back of your amp to get the tubes ready for the intense cold they are about to experience. If it is night time and dark outside you might want to leave your amp/tubes on to light your way home. This can be accomplished by purchasing a portable generator (preferrably with wheels). The most important thing you can do is never touch your tubes because oils on your hands are left on the tubes which attract glass-eating bacteria which destroy tubes. So never touch your tubes with bare hands, if fact never even look at your tubes. It has been suspected that looking at tubes can be detrimental over long periods of times. It is also a good idea to gently rub exotic oils from the orient on the surface of your amplifier to keep it's tolex smooth and supple like it were 16 years old again. Surely if you follow these steps you and your amplifier will have a long and happy life together with no power switch or standby issues of on of offness of any kind.
Last edited by Gutch220 at Jun 13, 2008,
^your a jerk haha
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chase312
Anyone who says that leaving the amp on standby before turning it off will prolong tube life is WRONG. Standby keeps the tubes hot, and if you're turning the amp off, why would you want them to be hot?
If you don't want it to pop, flip the standby and then flip the power. You don't have to wait for more than a second. I normally just click both off at the same time, and I've never had a single problem in 12 years of owning a tube amp.

You only need to leave it on standby for 15 to 30 seconds when starting cold. Any longer will not prolong your tube life at all. I have a Peavey Delta Blues 30w combo that has no standby, and it only takes like 12 seconds to heat up to full operating temperature.

If you leave it on standby for more than 10-12 minutes, you'll start taking life off the tubes. If you're taking that long of a break its best to power down completely and power up again later.

Correct
I only ever use the standby when i'm taking a break.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Heres my normal routine... Turn on the amp and leave it in standby for 30 seconds then switch it off and play for a while then throw it back in standby for tenth of a second then power down to avoid the pop. And doing this leaves the switches ready to go and in the right spot when i come back to turn it on again..

Other then that just hit standby if im going to be leaving the room for more then a minute or two.
well i'm confused now and i don't think it is a bad thread because there is obviously a lot debate and i can't seem to find a diffinative answer.

power on
standby on
play
standby off (to take a break)
standby on (to come off break)
standby off when all done
power off

if i put my amp (Valveking) in Standby off there is no sound so i don't see why some are saying to turn the Standby off when playing?

??????????????????????????
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well i'm confused now and i don't think it is a bad thread because there is obviously a lot debate and i can't seem to find a diffinative answer.

power on
standby on
play
standby off (to take a break)
standby on (to come off break)
standby off when all done
power off

if i put my amp (Valveking) in Standby off there is no sound so i don't see why some are saying to turn the Standby off when playing?

??????????????????????????

on some amps, standby on means no sound, and others standby off means no sound.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
It's a good idea to put the amp in standby for 30 seconds or so before turning the amp off. It allows the filter caps to dissipate and prevents the loud popping or volume increase some amps have when turning off without standby- both of those things are bad for your amp.
I never touch my switches, I just turn the thing on/off with the power strip it and all my pedals are plugged into.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Page 1 of 2