Is an 8 channel mixer enough for our band? I don't really think so, but I don't know much about mixers, either. We have 2 guitars, a bass, and 3 microphones. Then come the drums. How many channels do you need for the drums? Will it end up using more than 8 channels?
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Well it all depends on how you gonna use it... If you wanna record in a studio kinda way you do fine with 8 ch since you record each instrument separatly. If you are rehearsing you wont need it for more than song and maybe synth if you have one.
And when playing live you use the one they got there.

Drums usally dont need more than about 5-7.

Basdrum
Snare
Toms x2?
OH(overhead) x2
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Our drummer has a snare, 3 toms, a bass drum, a hi-hat, and 2 other cymbals.
We'll use it for just about everything. Actually, we're buying a PA package and can't find any in our price range with anything other than an 8 channel mixer, and I was wonderin if it would be enough.
Quote by Armagedn
Is an 8 channel mixer enough for our band? I don't really think so, but I don't know much about mixers, either. We have 2 guitars, a bass, and 3 microphones. Then come the drums. How many channels do you need for the drums? Will it end up using more than 8 channels?

is this for live use or are you looking to record?
recording - skip the mixer

for live sound I suggest sticking with the yamaha MG series mixers, they have great preamps and are affordable.

be sure to get a powered mixer to drive some passive speakers for a PA type setup.

Easiest way to go is to find a used PA pack on ebay or local...buying part by part means looking up the correct gear and you may spend a little more going this way.

youll want one channel for each mic and one channel for each instrument (guitar and bass...) If the guitar is a stereo output, run it into two channels.

8 inputs on a mixer normally means it has like 2-3 mic inputs and a good amount of stereo inputs which are not too useful.

if you are on a budget, Tapco or Behringer mixers will work.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 4, 2008,
Quote by In_Utero2310
Surely one on hi-hats rather than two on toms? Either way, this guys right

I find one for Hi-hit to be a luxary. the Snare picks up some of it and then you got eh overhead. And depending on how you got your tom toms setup etc.... all i relative... or whatever you say
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
At the minimum 16 channel. You will be surprised at how quick inputs get used up.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
i did a music technology course at college, in the studio we used to have a drum kit miced up like:

Hi-hat mic
Kick drum mic
Snare mic
high tom mic
mid tom mic
floor tom mic
2 x overheard mic

so it was 8 just for the drums when we recorded people, but that was actually a prety damn good recording we would get and you could easily get away with less mics.

are you recording it all at the same time? if so, do you need a vocal input too?

guitar 1
guitar 2
bass guitar
vocals

snare mic
kick drum mic
hi-hat mic
overhead positioned roughly between the mid tom and the floor tom

that's what i'd do with 8 channels.
Quote by backtothe70s
I find one for Hi-hit to be a luxary. the Snare picks up some of it and then you got eh overhead. And depending on how you got your tom toms setup etc.... all i relative... or whatever you say

Meh, just a matter of preference I spose. I try cut out any hi-hat from the snare and do each completely seperately if I can. Each to their own I guess...
Thanks, that helps a lot.
If you're trying to record, 8 won't cut it. If you're live, you probably won't need it or much past vocals, unless you're the kind of guys who all play microcubes into the PA.
If you're trying to record, 8 won't cut it. If you're live, you probably won't need it or much past vocals, unless you're the kind of guys who all play microcubes into the PA.
for live music, you only need 1 microphone for each amp, 1-3 microphones for the drum kit, and 1 microphone for each vocalist. Try not to run things that arn't microphones into the mixer unless absoloutely necessary, especially if you dont have power amps in the line somewhere...
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Make sure you check what type of inputs the mixer has; it may not have as many XLR inputs as you have mics if it's just an 8 channel one.

If this is for recording, I would buy a cheapie behringer mixer for the drums and then get something like a Phonic Firewire Helixboard for the rest.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
It would preferably not just be for recording...
Quote by Armagedn
It would preferably not just be for recording...

A mixer will either just be for live use or for recording *and* live use.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Apr 4, 2008,
Quote by Armagedn
Yeah, recording and live use. Would this one be enough to support the whole band?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB2442FXPRO-Mixer?sku=631230V

Yup
Quote by utsapp89
Drums and everything, all at the same time? Sorry about all the questions, I'm a noob at audio equipment.
Quote by Armagedn
Drums and everything, all at the same time? Sorry about all the questions, I'm a noob at audio equipment.

Well it has 8 inputs for mics. You could go 2 vocals, 2 guitar amps, and 4 for drums and then direct-input the bass.

It *should* be enough.
Quote by utsapp89
The 2442 has 10 mic inputs, 8 mics on a full drum set is normally the most common and thats in a recording setup or big live setting. you could get away with a few overheads, kick, and snare mic usually.

Once again, mixers are not good for recording, for recording you'll want an interface like the PreSonus FireStudio which has 8 mic inputs, firewire connection (very important), and will bypass your stock sound card. the mixing is done in the computer recording software (reaper is free and good)

For recording Qs head on over to the R&R form.