im pretty new to guitar and ive read stuff online about how to do it and i still cant figure out how to do pull-offs and hammer-ons

any1 able to explain it well i would appreciate it
to hammer on, just pick the string and 'hammer on' (pressed down) on a fret with your fretting hand!

Pull off means you start with your finger on the string and pick and pull your finger off the the fret!

Try something like 3H5 and 3P5 on the E string to get started!
so for hammer-ons you play 1 note and put ur finger on the other fret without picking again?

and pull-offs u do the opposite?(play then let go)

Pretty easy to be honest, all you do is with hammers pick the 1st note in the sequence then hit the next fret in the sequence without strumming. If you do it reasonably hard, you should get another note out of it. After that, you can hammer another note, and then another, and so on...

Pull offs are the reverse basically, I find them a bit harder personally. Still pretty easy though; all you do is fret 2 (or 3, or 4) notes on a string, then pick the string with both still fretted, then pull off (flick the string across and release the string) the finger closer to the body of the guitar (the higher note). If you do it right, you can get strings of hammers/pulls that go on forever... eg:
12h14p12h14p12h14.....

or
7h9h11p7h9h11p7h9h11....

That got you sorted?

*edit*
so for hammer-ons you play 1 note and put ur finger on the other fret without picking again?

and pull-offs u do the opposite?(play then let go)

Yeah, that's it.
Last edited by MopMaster at Apr 4, 2008,
Yeah, you only pick once!

it helps you play faster licks and it sounds faster!

Practice enough and you can play some blistering solos!
pluck a note'hammer' you other finger on another note on the same string
pluck a note and pull off slightly downward with another note behind it
thanks guys i shall try it some more later

after that ill hav all of those basic stuff (vibrato, bending, sliding etc.) down for the most part
Last edited by guiatarist59 at Apr 4, 2008,