Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, we have a show coming up soon which should be our largest, best show ever. We have crappy gear and want to smash it. We have replacements for our gear if it completely breaks. Is this too cliche? Or is it a dumbass idea? Or what are your experiences with it. We all want to do it and all our friends/fans want us to do it, but we don't want to look like nobs trying to be badasses or something. What do you guys think?
Just like it says in Guitar Hero: Only smash your gear if you can afford to replace it.
What are you going to do if at one of your next gigs, your current back-up instruments don't work?
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
It's helped Muse to get famous. It helped Nirvana get famous.

I'd say you're in good company.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
As long as the venue permits it and the gear is absoloute crap you can afford to smash. Can you tape it and post it for us to see?
no, only good faouns bands can get away with it (barely) now.
its not at all original, and is just a bit lame even when good bands do it now.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
well if everybody wants you to do it, why wouldn't you? take it from me, after doing this you will be VERY successful. by chance, you may also be addicted to heroine. im just saying.
I wouldn't just Pete-Townsend my guitar, I'd probably go for something a little slower, you know, try to create sounds while slowly dismembering the thing. Then end it with one smash. Also watch out for the bass drum as it comes crashing down. Them suckers come down hard, believe me.
Oh, for the love of God....

DON'T DON'T DON'T

It was a big rebel act when the Who did it, but that was, what, 1967? Since then, it has been done, and done, and done, and done, and done again... to the point where it is just stupid now.

I saw Green Day a while back, (yeah, I know.... go ahead.... laugh) and they were awesome. They totally exceeded my expectations (though, granted, I wasn't expecting much....) They were SO good though. And then they smashed their gear, and it was the stupidest low point of the show.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i went to a show last night and the guitarist got so smashed he dove into the drum kit while they were playing ... i thought it was dumb... then he threw his guitar on the ground (at one point it was a nice looking fender) again thought that was dumb... just sell the stuff you want to get rid of it... make some money out of it and dont look like a jackass
pull some random person onstage and give it to them..

it'll make a bigger impression than copying spoiled rebellious rockstars.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82

+1

An instrument is an instrument is an instrument. They're all created equally (Unless it's a Wal-Mart guitar), and should be treated equally.
Indeed, don't bother emulating other people's stage acts, it only looks sad. I guess you should do whatever the hell feels right on stage, I somehow don't believe the Who would have gone round asking people if smashing their stuff on stage would be a good idea, nor can I imagine Jimi pondering whether setting fire to his Strat was really a sensible proposition...

Do whatever feels right, the trick is to never make it look or feel forced.
this reminds me of people that schedule fights. It's supposed to be an act of passion. You do it in the heat of the moment, without thinking about it. You do not sit there and giggle and turn to your friends and say " heheehe, you dare me to go up there and do it?".

pretty shallow, and pretty fake.
Quote by Spazz128735
this reminds me of people that schedule fights. It's supposed to be an act of passion. You do it in the heat of the moment, without thinking about it. You do not sit there and giggle and turn to your friends and say " heheehe, you dare me to go up there and do it?".

pretty shallow, and pretty fake.

maybe we should just make up all the lyrics, chord progressions, and everything else up in rock as we stand on stage too? It's obviously inauthentic and passionless if we plan it ahead of time

I do actually agree with you about the fight thing, but I think a stage act can be prepared just as much as a song. Planning ahead doesn't remove any of the value when you're talking about an artistic act or object, and you could pretty easily classify putting on a good show as that kind of act.

But TS, it is cliche as hell, I'd think it was lame if I saw a local act do it.
dont make up your mind till the end of the gig.

only then you can truthfully say "yeh, the crowds into it, we wont look like complete knobs if we do this"

untill then you wont know.

and if the crowd isnt completely reacting 100% DONT do it. you will look like a knob
Quote by altgrunge
Hey guys, we have a show coming up soon which should be our largest, best show ever. We have crappy gear and want to smash it. We have replacements for our gear if it completely breaks. Is this too cliche? Or is it a dumbass idea? Or what are your experiences with it. We all want to do it and all our friends/fans want us to do it, but we don't want to look like nobs trying to be badasses or something. What do you guys think?

DO IT!
I did, it's probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I've broken bass guitars, set bass guitars on fire and even cut one in half with a chain saw, while it was still plugged in.
So what if it's cliche? It gets a bloody good reaction.
A few words of advice.
If you are simply breaking a guitar, make a small saw cut in the back of the body, just where the neck joins on to it. This way, you are more likely to get the guitar to actualy break in the first place, (you wouldn't believe how much punishment some guitars will take before they break) and also helps to save the neck, which can then be joined to another guitar body to make another throwaway guitar.
Also, have guys with fire extinguishers standing by if you set fire to equipment.
Be very careful while handling a chain saw, if you want to cut a guitar in half with one, you'll also need a stock to hold the guitar (like what a lumberjack would use to chop logs) and the guitar will have to be clamped to the stock.
You should do it at the end of your performance, but make sure there is a big climax to it. Don't end with a ballad, and then smash your ****. End with something huge heavy and nasty.
Do it and send us the pics
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Only do it (yeah, contradicting myself, but only for the sake of humour) if you can do it - not at the *end* of the last song, but *during* the last song. Make it really over the top. No, not Highway to Hell. How about "You Own a Store" by Anal Cunt. Or if you want to be really surreal... maybe something like Love On the Rocks by Neil Diamond, or something by Air Supply.

But do it DURING the song, ruining the instruments for effect *as you play* and do your best to finish the song any bloody possible way you can with the broken instruments. Or to spin it even more, have a person planted from the audience to come up and do it for you while you guys are playing. Alert security that this is going to happen, and make sure it looks like a totally random thing. Be professional. The show must go on. Keep playing. Don't flinch or fight back or resist in any way.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Apr 5, 2008,
It would be a lot cooler if you gave it to someone in the audience. Wouldnt it?
Yell out "Hey look, I'm Pete Townshend!" and throw the guitar through an amp.
Quote by Kivarenn82

Indeed. Do this.
do a hendrix and set your guitar on FIRE
Quote Of The Year...

Oh i want a dead corpse to suck my dick!
Quote by axemanchris
Oh, for the love of God....

DON'T DON'T DON'T

It was a big rebel act when the Who did it, but that was, what, 1967? Since then, it has been done, and done, and done, and done, and done again... to the point where it is just stupid now.

I saw Green Day a while back, (yeah, I know.... go ahead.... laugh) and they were awesome. They totally exceeded my expectations (though, granted, I wasn't expecting much....) They were SO good though. And then they smashed their gear, and it was the stupidest low point of the show.

CT

yeah, nowadays (at least that i know of) people don't react really good to smashing an instrument on stage..maybe because some people would want one, others realize you could give to someone who needs it and the rest just think it's been done..but who knows?..I wouldn't do it, but that just me

Quote by srecko
It would be a lot cooler if you gave it to someone in the audience. Wouldnt it?

+100000000!!! someone give this man a cookie!

it would be awsome if you just handed it to someone on the crowd
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Or, you could just throw it into the crowd if there are enough people to ensure that it wouldn't just hit the ground and smash. Actually, it might hit someone in the face, and that wouldn't be good. On second thought, that's a bad idea...
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Strap exposives to your guitar, and blow it up while it's still plugged in. Maybe even rout out a cavity to seal it in for greater effect. You'll want to drop it and run once you've lit the fuse, though.

On second thought, just give it away. I want to be the first one to blow up a guitar onstage.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
I would only respect original destruction, not contrived passion. Christ, the very idea seems oxymoronic. Set yout headstock on fire just before you launch into the outro solo of your last song. See if you can finish the song.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
smash em if u have first act piece of crap guitars

*leave drums alone (they're expensive) *
-unless they are also first act piece of crap!

Gain makes everything better! Break a leg? Here, lets put some distortion on it!

Quote by boreamor
I played We Are Family at an orphanage.
I'm banned.

Quote by Hops44
"If I wanted your lip I'd wiggle my zipper."
Page 1 of 2