When practicing I spend a few hours a day, but I kind o push myself everyday and my picking hand's arm burns and hurts while I do a speed excercise that's just a little bit beyond my level. Is it supposed to hurt when practicing when pushing yourself?

I've had a pain in my arm, maybe a bit near my shoulder for a year now, and it all started when doing weights, I stopped doing weights cause I realized it f7cked me up, but since I play guitar the pain won't hurt. I think I have tendinitis, I can't go see a doctor now, cause i'm kind of busy, so I will need to sk you guys. I can't playing guitar, I haven't practiced for awhile and have to get back on track and advance, but this pain gets worse little by little and i'm afraid to not beable to fully heal my arm.

The pain is also in my left arm, but it's less. I need help on how to treat my arm at home, what I should avoid (I can't avoid playing guitar).

I've also had this pain in my middle finger which I donm't expierience much when actually playing, but at the morning it hurts like f7ckkk and I can't bend it. Any suggestions?
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Heres one
get over it
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by WillPlayForFood
: ( all i gotta sy is. calluses suck.

It's pain in the finger and through that bone of the finger, not fingertip
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
make sure you are reaxed when you are sitting/standing. back straight, no hunding over to see the fretboard etc. shoulders relaxed and not tense.

stretch before playing and warm up. not just hands but losen your shoulders.

when picking fast pick with your wrist and try not to move your shoulder. saying then though don't keep your shoulder rigid, move it around during short breaks etc.

hope that helped, otherwise see a doctor regardless of how busy you are.

good luck and peace

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Quote by shredforbread33
Heres one
get over it

+1 (don't bitch over that stuff, when you work out your muscles SHOULD be sore the next day, plain and simple)
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Some pain is normal when working out (a burning feeling in your muscles and aching for a few days afterwards) or first starting out with guitar (maybe a little joint pain, muscle pain such as burning in your arms and hands with aching afterwards, and rawness in your fingers). That said, this is the internet, and the people here (on UG especially) probably don't have enough medical knowledge to tell you what your epidermis is. What you describe, especially in your workout pain, sounds like it could be something a little more serious than what's normal: See a doctor. Saying you don't have time is a worthless excuse. To make sure you get it: see a doctor.

And don't tense up when you play guitar. It's key that you're completely relaxed; no tension, and just enough pressure on the frets to keep it from buzzing.
Make sure you stretch and give your fingers plenty of warm-ups before playing something aggressive.
Quote by shredforbread33
Heres one
get over it

-2 It could be a serious problem, and even if it isn't he has a right to be worried about it.

Try not to practice quite as long as normal, and make sure you relax when playing. If your arm starts to hurt, stop playing and take a break. Also, make sure you're aware enough to be able to stop and force yourself to relax if your arm starts to tense up.
Quote by J_J

stupid ppl (they're like slinkies, not good for much, but they make you smile when pushed down the stairs)

Quote by Meths

Holy non-gender specific pronoun Batman!

Quote by freakypop

you dont rly play guitar if you dont shred
from what ive heard if your feeling extreme stress inside your arm than stop playing until it goes away because it could be something bad. i dont know im not a doctor.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Alright, it's normal for your shoulder / arm muscles to hurt when you are playing guitar / doing speed excersicseses, because you are using your muscle to play guitar! Used to happen to me for my strumming arm, but now it doesn't happen.

About the pain in the middle finger, make sure before you start playing, warm up by playing chords and doing simple scales so your fingers are warmed up and stretched for further playing. If it doesn't stop, you might want to get it checked out. I sometimes have a pain in my index finger, because for the A chord I bar it.
Fingertip pain is normal. It just means you're developing the callouses needed to run your fingertips across the strings.

OTHER pain is your body's way of saying "you're doing it wrong". Make sure you aren't tense or rigid. One way is a method called "finger flapping" used by most professional and classical guitarists:

Hold the guitar as comfortably as possible, with your left arm hanging limp at your side. If you use a pick, 'float' the pick tip between any two strings without hitting them. Slowly raise your left arm into position, your muscles should still be completely relaxed. Gently place your fingertips on the low E (6th string), without pressing the string down even slightly tward the fretboard (it won't be easy at first). Raise your index finger about 1 inch above the string, and let it fall back down under it's own weight, again making sure not to push down on the string. Repeat for each finger, about 5 times. That's how your hands should feel when you play.

If it's fingertip pain, yeah, play through it. If it's a burning sensation in your hands/forearm, that's normal too, muscle development does that. If it's painful, stop and rest. Getting better isn't worth risking tendonitis and missing out on weeks, maybe months of guitar playing.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play