We're starting a band, and we've been doing some recording recently. Up until now, we've just been using the PC's line-in jack to record. We were thinking about getting something like the Line 6 TonePort. (Right here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX2-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249701)

Is it worth it? An even bigger problem is how to record the drums. What do we do about that? We have no idea how to record drums... Would we need a whole drum mic set, or would just one mic in the middle of the room work?
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
I have a Tone Port and its alright for little cheesy recordings like when you have some ideas wanna record real quick but if your wanting wanting to record a band your probably gonna need a mixer, a mic preamp, mics, and all that stuff. For the drums your gonna have to mic the whole set. Hopefully someone that knows a little more than I do a little bit of explaining.
Do you have amps that are worth recording out of?

The Toneport only has 2 simultaneous inputs, so you'd have to buy a mixer anyway.

Do you have a computer with firewire?

What's your price range?

I'd suggest getting the Phonic Firewire Helixboard that fits in your price range.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I'm not really sure what our price range is, but we don['t have firewire and we're not buying a new computer. And yeah, the amps are good enough for recording, except for maybe the bass amp...
What would be a good combination of mics and a mixer for under $500? Is there one?
I would try to maybe install a firewire card into one of your computers if you can (they are cheap). The difference between a firewire mixer as opposed to a USB mixer is that the firewire ones create a track for every input, while the USB mixer just gives you one composite stereo track of all the inputs. It'll let you adjust levels easier and do other fun editing.

If you don't feel like doing that, grabbing the most expensive Alesis USB Multimix or similar product isn't a bad choice by any means.

I know my Toneport UX2 has line level inputs that I can plug a mixer into, so you could grab one of those and maybe some some Behringer mixer if you really want to fool around with the gearbox software.

There are tons and tons of options, and I feel your pain because I'm trying to make a very similar decision.

What would be a good combination of mics and a mixer for under $500? Is there one?

Yeah you can definitely pull that off. What is your complete band setup?
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Come to think of it, how much does studio time cost? I highly doubt that we will go that route for a very long time, but I'd like to know...
As for the band setup, we have two guitars, a bass, a 5 piece drum set + cymbals, vocals, and probably some backing vocals.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I should have edited...
Quote by Armagedn
Come to think of it, how much does studio time cost? I highly doubt that we will go that route for a very long time, but I'd like to know...

It really depends on the place, but around $50 an hour + material costs is a common price that I've seen.
Quote by utsapp89