I'm getting a Marshall DSL50, and i obiously need a cab, too. I was wondering does it vary enough between cabs. I saw a really cheap cab because it is blemished, but it's an MG412A.
I've heard plenty of not-so-good things about the MGs.
^ If you agree with these people, please recommend some cabs!
O O

___
avatar 2x12. and yea cab construction/speakers can definately cause cabs to vary.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622
avatar 2x12. and yea cab construction/speakers can definately cause cabs to vary.

+1

And if your getting a Marshall cab get 1960 model.. Really good construction and speakers. But they are pricey...
Quote by TheBax
i've heard good things about the 1960 model.

if you're referring to the 1960 vintage cab with celestion V30's in it, then yeah those are some of the best cabs around IMO. great balance : lots of midrange, not too much low's and high's but not tool little either. i'm sure you can find one on ebay.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
yeah 1960, and look used if you want to save some. sure the tolex might be ripped in places or something like that, but it doesn't really matter
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
That is a good cab, but I would go with the 1960A or the 1960AV. Instead of the 1960AC
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by TheBax

Its a good cab but what type of music are you playing. The Greenbacks might cause and issue... Try and stick to the 1960a or 1960b and 1960AV or 1960BV.... Each cab model has different speakers suited for different styles of music.
You might also want to check out the Marshall MC cabs if you can't afford a 1960.
Quote by Moe.
You might also want to check out the Marshall MC cabs if you can't afford a 1960.

I've seen the MCs before, and they're sort of a budget amp. I really want to get a good cab since i'm upgrading from a Spider III, i want to get it top-of-the-line, or at least close.
I'll also be gigging soon, so i want a good cab. I should have enough money though...

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its a good cab but what type of music are you playing. The Greenbacks might cause and issue... Try and stick to the 1960a or 1960b and 1960AV or 1960BV.... Each cab model has different speakers suited for different styles of music.

I'll be playing punk/metal music.

and...like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-1960-300W-4x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=605013
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Apr 4, 2008,
For $279, they're fine. Sure, an $899 cab sounds better, but the MG412 sounds just fine with a good tube amp pushing it. It even sounds "tighter" than a 1960, due to its smaller cabinet (it has less bass, but it's never "flabby").

I have both of the cheap Marshall cabs: the MG412 and the MC212 (I got my MC212 for only $200, brand new from Guitar Center on Black Friday). I'm going to drive the MG412 with a Mesa/Boogie DC-3 and my MC212 is currently driven by my 6505. I compared the MG412 with a 1960AV for hours, and I was satisfied with the MG412. Especially when miked . . . forget about it. They sound pretty amazing miked.

Sure, I'm thinking about re-voicing my recording cabinet, the MC212, with probably a Greenback and a GT12 or V30 or something someday, but it's sturdy enough for my use, and the price was right.

Aw, nevermind. You were looking for a GOOD cab. Then you'll probably be pretty happy with a 1960AV. I just think the MG cabs tend to get overly bashed since most have only heard them paired up with those horrible MG heads.

If you want an AWESOME cab, the Divided by Thirteen 4x12, filled with Greenbacks, seemed to utterly pwn every other cab in the "expensive amp" room at Guitar Center when I was trying out cabs a few weeks ago.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Apr 4, 2008,
i've got another question, can you get a 50watt head and use let's say, a 300watt cab for example.
I've heard something about just as long as the cab has enough watts to "handle" the head, it's fine, is that true?
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
i've got another question, can you get a 50watt head and use let's say, a 300watt cab for example.
I've heard something about just as long as the cab has enough watts to "handle" the head, it's fine, is that true?

Yeah, very true.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
oh, so i can buy any watt cab, it doesn't really matter? (except under 50)
O O

___
I wouldn't get a cab under 100 because a DSL50 can peak much higher than 50 watts when cranked. Valve amp ratings are based off running at low volume. A DSL50 can put out more than 50 watts.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by IbanezPsycho

hey greenbacks arent that bad for metal you know, i perfer greenbacks for metal wayyyyyy over v30's im not a v30 fan there too middy and trebly, too over the top fizzle for me.
Quote by convictionless
hey greenbacks arent that bad for metal you know, i perfer greenbacks for metal wayyyyyy over v30's im not a v30 fan there too middy and trebly, too over the top fizzle for me.

I never said they were bad for metal... I said "Its a good cab but what type of music are you playing. The Greenbacks might cause and issue..." Those speakers are great sounding but not for ever genre because they break up really early. Also only being 25w's when you get into the bigger heads it posse's an issue...