I've heard this used a lot like "boutique amps" and "boutique pedals". Is this a special type of equipment?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
boutique means shop , but like high quality shops , so yeh basically high quality stuff
The term "boutique" can be nasty complex, because there's little agreement at the margin. Does it just mean "expensive"? No, there are obscenely expensive instruments (like "vintage" meaning "old and beat to hell") that clearly aren't boutique. So does it just mean custom-made? No, some custom instruments are crap made by beginners and some "production" instruments are made in "custom shops" and qualify as "boutique"

So is it any instrument that is both expensive AND high quality? Well, you'd probably have to take a vote, case by case. Is a $3000 koa-top Taylor T5 a boutique guitar? It's mass-produced, does that matter? The sheer quality simply can't be exceeded.

My take is, if some famous luthier hand-made or at least physically breathed on the instrument, it qualifies for sure. If the instrument was designed and specified by a noted luthier and made according to meticulous processes using highest quality materials and subjected to expert go/no go inspection, it probably qualifies. If it was made according to an expert luthier's spec by a bunch of assembly-line gorillas and sold for a high price, it might qualify, but you'd need to inspect it yourself and others might not agree with your assessment.

So is the Fender or B.C.Rich custom shop putting out boutique guitars? Is the Gibson Tobias or Modulus factory making boutique basses? Arguments rage...
Last edited by phank at Apr 4, 2008,
boutique pedal means over-priced and made from a schematic readily available online and about $60 in parts.
Quote by noisefarmer
boutique pedal means over-priced and made from a schematic readily available online and about $60 in parts.

Never talk again, please.
why? it's true for the most part. a large chunk of the boutique market is stuff you can build yourself for much less money. only difference is some of them etch their own pcbs, which you could also do yourself if you wanted to... or you can pay someone $300 for something you could have made for $100 or less.
Boutique doesn't mean it has to be expensive. In most cases, it's probably cheaper to go boutique because you're not paying for brand name and there is no middle-man.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by webbtje
Sure.

I don't know why you're disagreeing. Most boutique pedals are based on generic effects like the tubescreamer, fuzz face etc that you could build yourself for less.
I'd say boutique would be like a custom job except rather than being built to the customer's specifications, its built to manufacturer specifications as though its an ordinary production-line model. The thing that would be similar to a custom job is that it is built on request, rather than mass-produced.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yes, Boutique stuff is generally very expensive and high quality, but what makes Boutique Boutique is the fact that it is produced in small quantities, with great attention to detail.

It's like comparing Adidas sneakers to italian leather shoes. Adidas may be a respectable brand, but they're still made in sweatshops in China. Italian leather shoes are handmade from the finest leather.
Quote by LightningRider
Boutique doesn't mean it has to be expensive. In most cases, it's probably cheaper to go boutique because you're not paying for brand name and there is no middle-man.

Although in theory that's what should happen, boutique is generally a LOT more expensive, due to the production processes. Boutique companies are smaller, have less technology and fewer employees. That's why stuff is hand-wired rather than putting it on PCB's.

A 5-watt single channel class A boutique amp costs about the same as a 100 watt 3-channel half-stack.
I consider "Boutique" to mean a piece of gear that has usually withstood the test of time and sounds great, or something that was made with a simplistic approach to attain great sound, such as a simple hand-wired 5 watt amp or an older TS-808.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
I consider "Boutique" to mean a piece of gear that has usually withstood the test of time and sounds great, or something that was made with a simplistic approach to attain great sound, such as a simple hand-wired 5 watt amp or an older TS-808.

So a Fender Telecaster is boutique?