I'm auditioning for my school's jazz bands (we have three big ones) for bass guitar, and I'm wondering if anyone who's in jazz band for bass or whatever knows what they look for in a bassist and can tell me some hints to do good in the audition.

I haven't asked yet, but I might need to play a song or two. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what would tickle their fancy? Something funky and jazzy, preferably.
In high school jazz band you'll mostly need to know how to read, read, read. That's about it. For the average high school band, even walking an improvised line isn't all that important because it's mostly written out for you, however the ability to walk an acceptable Bb, Eb and F blues would be appreciated. Auditions are all about meeting a standard. Don't feel the need to push yourself for an audition, it should be fairly comfortable stuff for you to play, unless you have some hardcore competition you know is better than you. Other than that, good luck.
well i play guitar in my schools jazz band but i can tell you what you need to be able to do. be able to keep up with the chord changes in the songs. be able to play different types of music like for example beebop basslines differ from bossa or funk baselines so know the differences. if you can't walk a baseline at least be able to hold down the root
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
oh yeah since you're a bassist you should know how to read to that's important but you don't have to know. it would help you a lot though
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
^No, you do have to know. At the high school level reading is more important than walking bass. Typically you'll do 3 or 4 songs per performance, if your school does the standard christmas concert, spring concert, summer concert type of thing. 1/3 songs might be a swing, the other two might be a latin and a funk, both would have written out lines.
I can READ, but like, I cant insta-sight read. Do I need to be able to look at a piece of music I've never seen before, hear a tempo, and jut play it willynilly?

If I get a sheet of music I can sit down and figure it out, learn it, and read it from the sheet supplemented from my memory, not instantly, but pretty quickly (few days and I got it buttoned down), especially if the rhythm isn't too complex.
Depending on the level of the band normally dictates how well you can read. At my school there's a junior jazz band where being able to read it off instantly isn't necessary as long as you learn the pieces for the next rehearsal. In the senior band however we do gigs outside of school too and normally have to run through 6-7 pieces per rehearsal, so being able to read the pieces striaght off is much more important in that situation.

Most of the time for bass the rhythms will be simple, and generally where there's a more complex looking rhythm, it follows the rhythm of the rest of teh band on hits or somethign similar.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Unless you're in a wacky, crazy, hardcore, private school band like Sinan's in, then what you're suggesting is fine. In my band the rhythm section is usually expected to have most of the parts (other than feel issues which can only be worked out in band) down within the first week or so.
How much knowledge of walking should I know? I can walk a chord up from its root to octave and add in the 7th or whatever (or whatever needs to be diminished/augmented) but making the chords flow into one another, and starting on a note of the chord other then its root is more of a challenge and something I cant do just right off the bat.

Can anyone give me an idea of a popular jazz/funk song that might be good?
^ So that's aint good enough.

One should be able to walk decently on simple jazz pieces to get in.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by NorseGodofRock
How much knowledge of walking should I know? I can walk a chord up from its root to octave and add in the 7th or whatever (or whatever needs to be diminished/augmented) but making the chords flow into one another, and starting on a note of the chord other then its root is more of a challenge and something I cant do just right off the bat.

Can anyone give me an idea of a popular jazz/funk song that might be good?

Out of all the pieces I've ever done with my school's swing band there's only been 2-3 out of about 40 without written parts, so for big bands it's more important to be able to read off a walking line rather than to construct it off a lead sheet. However for small groups the opposite is true.

As for a recommendation of a piece go with something liek the Chicken, that's a pretty standard tune I've found for bands to play.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
Out of all the pieces I've ever done with my school's swing band there's only been 2-3 out of about 40 without written parts, so for big bands it's more important to be able to read off a walking line rather than to construct it off a lead sheet. However for small groups the opposite is true.

As for a recommendation of a piece go with something liek the Chicken, that's a pretty standard tune I've found for bands to play.

Did you need to be able to just look at a sheet of music and just play it? Cause I can go like... "Ok...A...F#...G...A...E..." then play it a few times to get it down, then move onto the next measure. I can learn a song in a few days. Less if it repeats a pattern a lot. Is that enough?

And thanks for the song suggestion, I think I'm gonna use that. Really funky.
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Apr 6, 2008,
look... bottom line, if you dont sight read too well, or just read well at all, then the only way your getting in is if either everyone else sucks too or your the only one who came to the audition. High School Jazz is all about reading standard notation and not so much about grooves.

If you wanna nice song to play for your audition check out Mueva Los Huesos by Gordon Goodwins Big Phat Band. Thats a nice little latin number that should impress if done well.
Last edited by loves2sp00n at Apr 6, 2008,
Work up your sight-reading. However, chances are, you're gonna be reading quarter notes. A lot of quarter notes. So the rhythm won't be remotely complex, for the most part.