Ive been plying guitar for two years now, and i have a couple of questions about guitar make-ups. Why does the body wood and neck wood make such a different to the tonal qualities. I was taught that the only thing that detirmines tones is the magnets in the pickups and their make-ups in themselves and their function through the amp. but now ive been traveling through seymour duncans website and when im picking tones and whatnot its asking for my body make up and the fretboard wookds. can someone please explain this to me? thanks.

i have:

schecter c-1 plus
fender telecaster standard
B-52 AT100 w/ tri mode
Marshall MG 412A cab.
different types of woods just make sound and vibrations resonate better.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
The woods in the guitar do affect your tone, but not so much as the pickups and amp do. On their website, they're probably just matching a brighter sounding pickup with a warmer sounding guitar (mahogany) and a warmer sounding one with a brighter type of wood (alder). It just complements each other.
Quote by steel337
The woods in the guitar do affect your tone, but not so much as the pickups and amp do. On their website, they're probably just matching a brighter sounding pickup with a warmer sounding guitar (mahogany) and a warmer sounding one with a brighter type of wood (alder). It just complements each other.

it depends a lot on your amp and pickups......
Each little bit adds up. If it didnt matter there wouldnt be so many ways of building the same thing. And people wouldnt argue about the agathis, nato etc. A good set of pickups can make a big difference but the wood they are attached to is part of it to. A set of pickups in one guitar will sound completely different in another. Just like trying to make a strat sound like a LP is impossible. They make mahogany strats but it still doesnt quite get there. Seymore duncan puts alot of effort into making good pickups so they know what they are talking about.