I'm trying to decide between the Ibanez S7 and the Schecter C-7 FR. Both are equipped with tremolo systems, but the Ibanez uses a ZR system as opposed to the traditional Floyd Rose. Having never used a tremolo system before, I'd like to know what the pros and cons of both are.
Well the ZR has a smoother feel and is easier to manage with things like the ZPS system and built in intonation screw. Only real problem is because of its design they can skimp out on quality parts. There has been numorous reports of destroyed threads within a screw hole or the bar itself breaking. Also because the ZR is on the S series, their bodies are thin, so you get less Pull-up range.

The FR has been proven to last many years. Some people claim to have guitars decades old and the OFR on them is still fully functional and keeps in tune. The downside to that is its a little harder to manage. No ZPS and no built in intonating makes it a little harder to set up.

If its OFR vs ZR personally i would chose the OFR but in this case, i liek the S series over the Schecter because of playability. I find Ibanez necks a lot more comfortable than Schecters, but thats just me.

EDIT: That Schecter has a LICENSED Floyd rose, not an original. In this case the ZR would definitely be better than the Licensed FR.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by G.9
Reasons?

Ibanez fanboy?

Anyways personally I'd go with an Original Floyd Rose, better materials and I'm used to it but like I said thats my own opinion. See thats the thing, don't take others opinions. I could care less if someone says ZR is superior because I know what I personally like. So go play a guitar with an OFR and go play one with a ZR and see which feels the best to you.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I've heard that ZR retains tuning/pitch better than the FR... is this true?

And slight off-topic: for the Schecter vs. Ibanez concerning the necks, is it due to the Ibanez neck being thinner, or?

Quote by DSOTM80
Anyways personally I'd go with an Original Floyd Rose, better materials and I'm used to it but like I said thats my own opinion. See thats the thing, don't take others opinions. I could care less if someone says ZR is superior because I know what I personally like. So go play a guitar with an OFR and go play one with a ZR and see which feels the best to you.

Problem is, basing opinions of that kind of intuition could be dangerous, as I've never tried one before. Basing an opinion off a one-time try at the Guitar Center than just going off and buying it seems dangerous. Practical empiricism, but I'd like other's opinions nevertheless.
I have played several guitars, equipped with the ZR, and non Ibanez guitars equipped with Original Floyds. I have to say, I much prefer the feel of the Floyd Rose. I am not really a big fan of the feel of the ZR, and it seems a bit finnicky to me. The FR has a good solid feel, and is a pretty reliable system.
Be cool.
Here's the ZR rundown, and here's information on the Floyd Rose system generally.

Bottom line: the ZR system seems to keep strings in tune better, break strings less often, keep other strings in tune when one of them breaks, and cost more. In terms of actually using them while playing, I can't tell much difference. Others might. Either one is easy to get used to with a few hours' play.
Last edited by phank at Apr 4, 2008,
you FR your looking at is a LICENSED Floyd Rose, is it not? To me, in this case, Ibanez Wins.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Iv tryed the zr at a shop on a s-320 and at another shop on a s-470(I think). Neither were smooth at all! But they were floor models so the ball barring was probably not lubricated.. so thats the reason.... I'v had a great expirience on my Carvin DC-145 FR, never had any problems with teh FR. If the ZR's metal isnt doggey then I would say teh ZR cause its alot cheaper... But if you have the money get the FR cause you wont have to lubricate it.
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
So it's pretty much a tuning vs. reliability/action issue when it comes to the ZR and FR, respectively...?
Quote by G.9
So it's pretty much a tuning vs. reliability/action issue when it comes to the ZR and FR, respectively...?

Meh, I'd say the tuning stability on the ZR compared to the FR is very small. I've also heard that the ZR is made of cheaper parts, and one part being plastic. One of the members on here had one of these plastic parts snap, and had a big pain in the ass trying to fix. As far as I know, this part couldn't be replaced, so he had to replace it with FR parts. I am not sure whether they have fixed this for the 2008 models.
Be cool.
Well, for the present I think I'm set for with an FR... just how badly does it detune, though? That's dependent on usage of course, but, in general?
I think it's pretty clear the that the ZR has solved some of the intonation problems with the OFR, both with respect to repeated dive-bombs and staying in tune when strings break. Action is a matter of whatever you get used to; I don't notice much difference. I haven't heard of either design breaking. There's been some talk of Ibanez cutting quality to reduce costs with the ZR, but I've yet to see anyone saying their bridge is self destructing.

Personally, I regard the ZR as having solved some real problems with the OFR bridge (mostly of the intonation persuasion), without substituting any new and different problems other than cost. But you should realize that the ZR is a Floyd Rose derivative (with some Kahler influence); the differences are not earth-shattering.

If you are trying to choose between (for example) Ibanez RG and S models, the bridge shouldn't be important in that decision. I selected the S2170 based on variety and quality of sound, ease of playing, physical attractiveness, weight and shape. Not bridge design.
Quote by G.9
Well, for the present I think I'm set for with an FR... just how badly does it detune, though? That's dependent on usage of course, but, in general?

Oh God, don't even worry. If set up properly, you probably won't have to touch an Original Floyd's tuning for weeks. I've even heard some people on here say they can rip on it constantly and it will stay in tune without them having to touch it for months. Trust me, people on here overexaggerate about the ZR's tuning stability. They hear ZR and cream their pants. It really isn't that great.
Be cool.
Oh God, don't even worry. If set up properly, you probably won't have to touch an Original Floyd's tuning for weeks.
OR a ZR. These double-locking tremolo systems are damn stable. Thedude051 is entirely correct. These are both very good bridges. Don't worry about them. Decide between Ibanez and Schecter based on which SOUND you prefer. Both produce excellent sounds.

(Incidentally, you might also listen to the Music Man Luke model.)
Quote by phank
OR a ZR. These double-locking tremolo systems are damn stable. Thedude051 is entirely correct. These are both very good bridges. Don't worry about them. Decide between Ibanez and Schecter based on which SOUND you prefer. Both produce excellent sounds.

(Incidentally, you might also listen to the Music Man Luke model.)

Yeah, I guess I'll have to do that. The model you posted is a 6-string... looking for 7.

Thanks everyone.
Last edited by G.9 at Apr 5, 2008,
the ZR win if the other trem is not a OFR
if it is an OFR, OFR FTW
that right there is a LFR so ZR all the way
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
Quote by barcelona_rov
the ZR win if the other trem is not a OFR
if it is an OFR, OFR FTW
that right there is a LFR so ZR all the way

I love it how people state their "opinions" without giving any reason what-so-ever
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
floyd man. for one the zr is pretty new and you'll see ppl comin up with lotsa problems and ****. the floyd's been here for what? over 25 yrs now?
i would say ZR Because the LFR is genarelly made out of cheap parts and tends to break

I had to give you a reason :P
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H