my set up is a fender stratocaster with texas special pick ups plugged into a fender deville 212. My dilemma is as follows; I have been playing for a couple of years now and my musical taste varies. The person i trained with was very much into southern rock hence my set up. Where i struggle is when i wish to play anything but ZZ Top. I often use the neck pickup and never use the bridge pick up. i'm wondering if i switched out the bridge pickup for say a seymour duncan hotrail shr-1b, can i still use the neck and middle pickups with success. For example if i split the bridge and middle pick up is going to be a crap sound seeing how it is the texas specials middle with the duncan bridge. Any advice on this would be great . I know my biggest problem is settling on a type of playing style but I am a realist no one will ever sound like SRV. thanks for any help
Last edited by mathman51 at Apr 4, 2008,
Yeah, man. My strat's got a hot rails in the bridge and the other two are standards. Works fine for me, and I Play blues and metal.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by PPPussycatt
you should focus on finding YOUR sound not someone elses

he didnt say he was trying to sound like someone else noob.

anyway, yes a hotrail would work fine. it will give a hotter, more humbucker-like sound for playing heavier styles of music
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
anyway, yes a hotrail would work fine. it will give a hotter, more humbucker-like sound for playing heavier styles of music

Yup, however, I'd suggest you look into DiMarzio stacked single coils instead. Hotrails in my experience were kinda lifeless and not too great. DiMarzio makes some great stacked "humbuckers."
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
thanks for the replies, with regards to dimarzio's knowing now what sound i am looking for ,any particular model i could do some research on or any feedback from a particular experience form a certain model. For the record i love the neck p/u from the texas specials its really hot its the tin can in the bridge i can't stand lol
Well, what type bands are you planning on playing with the pickup? It said in your post anything but ZZ Top, but can you be a little more specific?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
ive got HR and they sound the best mixed with other pups.

but that's not really a good thing. imo if you want a full humbucker tone. toss in a full sized HB. dont bother with a HR. too much high end.

there's room in a lot of strats for a bridge humbucker. most mexican made and some american made too.

the only added expense is a new guard with a larger bridge cut out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
hey matrix i was thinking of playing metal not a slayer or metallica tone but say a motorhead, maiden, priest tone.
you outta be fine if anything it will sound more kick ass then it already does