I just noticed my guitar has a knot in the wood on the back. It's about 3/4 of an inch in diameter. Is this bad? I've heard that knots in the wood of the guitar can affect the tone of the guitar in a negative guitar. Is this true?
Quote by sum_ugly_man
Wait what? can you show some pics please?

They look like these:

Only on my guitar it's about 3/4 of an inch in diameter and it's a light brownish color. (Don't know if color of the affects the tone.)
Quote by guitarnoobie
They look like these:

Only on my guitar it's about 3/4 of an inch in diameter and it's a light brownish color. (Don't know if color of the affects the tone.)

Dude, that really is funny.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
lol it looks like you just straight up took a picture of a tree let alone a finished guitar
Im not a pro, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night
Quote by suzukisally
lol it looks like you just straight up took a picture of a tree let alone a finished guitar

That's not my guitar. It's just a picture of a knot in a tree. I could get a picture of the knot on my guitar if you want but it basically looks like the one in the picture except a lighter shade of brown and smaller.
i guess it could reduce your sustain because it's a hollower part in the body, but other than that i don't know how it would affect your sound, i've never heard of knots in guitars before.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I really wouldn't worry about it TBH. Knots are very strong and dense which could actually increase sustain somewhat, but I'm sure you wouldn't be able to tell by ear. Lower end guitars often have knots in the body and yet they can still sound just fine.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Quote by Waterboy799
i guess it could reduce your sustain because it's a hollower part in the body, but other than that i don't know how it would affect your sound, i've never heard of knots in guitars before.

Well since guitars are made of wood I'd assume there's bound to be a few a knots, but I also assumed that in the medium to higher end gear (it's a $500 Michael Kelly) they would discard those pieces of wood. It's a hollow body btw, if that matters at all.
Quote by ste993
I really wouldn't worry about it TBH. Knots are very strong and dense which could actually increase sustain somewhat, but I'm sure you wouldn't be able to tell by ear. Lower end guitars often have knots in the body and yet they can still sound just fine.

ah see, i don't know much about trees
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Well, Brian May's Red Special has at least two knots in it, according to him, and you can't say he has a bad tone. It'll be fine, I'm sure.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay