Hey all, first post. How is everyone?

Had a question nagging at me for months: how can I a bass approximation out of my Tele? To clarify: I'm not looking to sound like a bass, but I'm looking for solid low-end. To clarify even more: to anyone familiar with Death From Above 1979, I'm trying to get a similar sound out of a guitar.

Suggestions that have been made, asterisked if they've been tried: playing through a bass amp, octave pedals*, eq pedals, drop-tunings*, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated. If you're curious as to why-- A. Love the sound, trying to put my own spin onto it. B. Some bands of mine lack a bassist, and we'd like to beef things up.

Please, make both your life and mine easier, and don't reply with:

"Why the hell would you want to do that? Ur dum."

Thanks UG Forum,

Andy
Sorry, but octave pedals and drop-tuning are the only options I can think of... Though, I'm not too familiar with guitar fx.

Also, don't be too surprised if this is the only reply you get, as you probably scared off about half of UG by writing more that three sentences, a potion more by using a big word, and the rest where either going to answer with one of the eliminated answers or got their feelings hurt by your limiting the ways they can reply.

So, yeah... welcome to UG. It's a freak-show.

[EDIT] v Proved me wrong.
Last edited by -Rane- at Apr 4, 2008,
Try one of these....

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/new-products/pickup_giant_re_1/

application
The first effects pedal designed specifically to work together with the pickups in a guitar to achieve optimum gain and resonance for all tonal applications. Works with all musical styles.

description
By rotating the gain control knob you can add pure, flat-EQ gain, ranging from 6dB to 25dB! The Resonance Switch drops the resonant peak of a single coil pickup up to 5KHz, making a single coil sound like a full and fat humbucker. Features fully discrete Class A circuitry along with true bypass. Comes in a heavy-duty steel chassis and runs on a single 9 volt battery.

of note
For Resonance Switch to work properly, the SFX-01 must be first in the signal chain using passive pickups and a standard guitar cable -- not a wireless unit.

players
Michael Landau, Peter Stroud & Todd Wolfe / Sheryl Crow Band, Richard Evans & David Rhodes / Peter Gabriel, Gary Rossington, Rickey Medlocke & Hughie Thomassen / Lynryd Skynyrd, Greg Hetson / Bad Religion, Phil Campbell / Motorhead
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Try one of these....

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/new-products/pickup_giant_re_1/

application
The first effects pedal designed specifically to work together with the pickups in a guitar to achieve optimum gain and resonance for all tonal applications. Works with all musical styles.

description
By rotating the gain control knob you can add pure, flat-EQ gain, ranging from 6dB to 25dB! The Resonance Switch drops the resonant peak of a single coil pickup up to 5KHz, making a single coil sound like a full and fat humbucker. Features fully discrete Class A circuitry along with true bypass. Comes in a heavy-duty steel chassis and runs on a single 9 volt battery.

of note
For Resonance Switch to work properly, the SFX-01 must be first in the signal chain using passive pickups and a standard guitar cable -- not a wireless unit.

players
Michael Landau, Peter Stroud & Todd Wolfe / Sheryl Crow Band, Richard Evans & David Rhodes / Peter Gabriel, Gary Rossington, Rickey Medlocke & Hughie Thomassen / Lynryd Skynyrd, Greg Hetson / Bad Religion, Phil Campbell / Motorhead

That looks more like an advertisement than anything. I was looking at one of those months back. Good pedal, but I don't see how it's related at all to what TS is looking for.

Amp choice will help, not necessarily a bass amp but an amp with a really big low end like a Mesa. Also settings will help and an EQ for bass boosting. Thicker strings as well.

Oh, one more thing. If you're looking to fatten things up in order to compensate for a lack of bassist...try getting two tonally different amps and a splitter so you can play through both at the same time.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Tone knobs! Roll them down!

If you have a tele...an EQ might help, but it's a really bright guitar to begin with. You can try a bass cab, too, I guess. That sometimes adds a slice of fat, but can dull the top end.
EQ pedal might be a good idea. Also, thicker strings (although the change is probably pretty small).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Have you tried the differrent techniques seperately, or all together. It's maybe a combination of EQ, tuning and octave pedal.