Ok,so i recently bought some DR Tite-Fit Heavy Gauge Strings [round core] (11-50) to put on my Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer. I replaced all my strings (the ones that came on it, that had been on it for about 6 months), with the exception of the 'little 'e'', as it was already broken. As I was replacing the strings, the treble e broke while re-stringing! I thought, oh well, no big dael, i bought two packs. I replaced it with the treble e from the other pack, as the packs do not come with any extra strings. Within maybe a month , it broke again while tuning from 'Drop-C' back to Standard. Now, i usually play in standard or half step down (Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb), and i went into 'Drop-C' (C G C F A D) to play some Bodom, Breaking Benjamin, Godsmack, maybe some Firewind and maybe some Pantera. I was wondering if I need new saddles, a new nut (i dont know if epiphones have very well-made nuts), or something els such as the action needing adjusting, as i previously played on what felt like 9-gauges. Please help, i would really appreciate response!
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
The extra two gauges could be your problem as the string might be bunching up in the nut. I woud take a some 150 grit sand paper folded over once and just widen the one space just a tiny bit, too much and you will ruin your sustain. (to prevent mistakes only pull the sand paper, so the paper bunches less than if you had to push it through.
Where are the strings breaking. If its at the saddle then thats where you need to look for a sharp edge. And most guitars arent set up for 11 so the nut could use a little work. And changing tunings on month old strings is a good way to break one. Stop bar guitars work pretty good with the top wrap it puts less pressure on the string at the saddle so they break less.
so i should keep the strings in standard for how long? i had them in standard until yesterday, when i wanted to go into drop-c and one step down.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Theres no time limit. Your post said when you came back up from drop c is when the string broke. The tension going from drop c to standard is alot higher. And old strings will break easier. If your going to change tunings alot you will just need to change strings more. And buy more than 1 or 2 sets of strings at a time.