What are your pros and cons of each one and is there a better version of either one in a 400-600 dollar price range?
Peavey Valveking 112 50 Watt - $400

What type of music do you play? I'd definitely recommend avoiding the Spider. It's basically just a loud practice amp that is sterile and digital sounding, especially at higher volumes.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
def the peavey valve king 112. spider's have terrible modeling and don't have a very good reputation around here.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Im going to have to say spider. im in the same predicament as you are and have thought this out in my mind over and over. why get a VK that'll have an amazing clean and distortion, when you can get a spider with a decent clean and distortion, and an assload of effects and presets you can make?

but thats if your willing to sacrifice tone for versatility
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
I'm big on tone. I have a digitech fotswitch that I bought for versatility and I hate it. It sounds really digitally like one person commented about the spider. Thanks for your recommendations.

edit: After another look at the peavy stats. It looks lik it will really compliment my new acoustic electric. Is it a good show amp?
Last edited by Mr Amsterdam at Apr 4, 2008,
The Valveking 50 watt is far superior to the spider, it will play shows easily as well as its pretty loud.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Tackleberry
How do you compare a 120 watt amp to a 5 watt one.

Because the 5 watt one is better.
Well I already knew any amp will be better than the spider. And its a tube amp so even better. Im just wondering how you compare a 120 watt SS amp filled with effects and 2 10" speakers to a little 1 channel 5 watt tube amp with 3 knobs and 1 8" speaker. They are both amps but about all they have in common.
Quote by Tackleberry
Well I already knew any amp will be better than the spider. And its a tube amp so even better. Im just wondering how you compare a 120 watt SS amp filled with effects and 2 10" speakers to a little 1 channel 5 watt tube amp with 3 knobs and 1 8" speaker. They are both amps but about all they have in common.

to most people tube tone is always better. The spider is about $400 i think. Just as a test take a $150 Vj combo grab $250 worth of pedals and compare. The spider will win with volume, but that's about it. Or even a head/cab with a $150 multi-fx pedal. I'd be surprised if you like the spider better.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
i dont like line 6 cuz eventually if you turn it up loud enough there is no definition
its like comparing two tv's
the peavy is in hd
the line 6 isnt
um the valveking 212 with no fx is about 559 somwhere around there
why not get that and spen a lil extra cash on sum pedals?
Quote by Phillitalian
Im going to have to say spider. im in the same predicament as you are and have thought this out in my mind over and over. why get a VK that'll have an amazing clean and distortion, when you can get a spider with a decent clean and distortion, and an assload of effects and presets you can make?

but thats if your willing to sacrifice tone for versatility

You're an idiot.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by SyN6661
i dont like line 6 cuz eventually if you turn it up loud enough there is no definition
the peavy is in hd
the line 6 isnt

+1 to this analogy.

SS amps have more "mush" that will hide mistakes and errors, but Valve amps, with their harmonics and definition beat them for tone all the way. I actually dislike playing SS amps now because there is no response to your playing. You can't make the amp sing and growl without changing the EQ on a SS. If you try hard enough, on a (decent) valve amplifier you can actually make your bridge pickup sound like a hotter version of your neck pickup just by picking softly; At least that's one of the things I do anyway.
Quote by SyN6661
the peavy is in hd
the line 6 isnt

My Line6 Vetta 2 actually sounds better cranked than at bedroom levels. There's no reason to make generalizations about Line6 as a whole based off the Spider.
Quote by Guitarmiester
My Line6 Vetta 2 actually sounds better cranked than at bedroom levels. There's no reason to make generalizations about Line6 as a whole based off the Spider.

your right. line 6 does have some good amps but the spiders are what we are talking about right now.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Quote by deadagain6591
for 4-600 i would get a valve king 112 or a classic 30

+100 for the Classic 30

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments