i have a Vox valvetronix 30w amp and cant get a pinch harmonics sound out of it and i know how to correctly do one because i have before on other amps. someone suggested that it could be because of a 'noise gate' built into the amp...any ideas anyone??
I'm not sure. I have a Line-6 UberMetal and I always have the gate on 2 (full) and I get them fine.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
make sure that the settings on the guitar are right, high tone and volume, also bridge pickups helps. And on the amp have a high treble level and overdrive will help too.

Could be a noise gate if its a strong one.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
You can turn off the noise gate by holding tap and rolling the edit knob to none or low (bypass has to be on). There is a sweet spot in there somewhere (I'm assuming you have a vox ad30vt).
I doubt thats the problem. I play a fender Metal head MH-500 which has a built in noise gate, i leave it on at all times and i can hit pitch harmonics great with it on, my guess is that ur vox doesn't put out enough gain and volume to hit good pinch harmonics.
Which amp setting are you using by the way? Some of them really don't do pinch harmonics well by themselves.
they are right, i use a noise gate in recording and if the gates turned up too high it will make it incredibly difficult to get a good squeal. normally a little gate is good to cut out any extra fuzz though so you don't want to turn it down too low either.
If you can't hear your pinch harmonics playing acoustically, you're not hitting them hard enough, and if you can, yes, the gate is too tight.

edit: RIP uber-necro. Shoutout to the "recommended threads" algorithm.
Last edited by glennmitchell907 at Nov 5, 2017,
Quote by Axeight
You can turn off the noise gate by holding tap and rolling the edit knob to none or low (bypass has to be on). There is a sweet spot in there somewhere (I'm assuming you have a vox ad30vt)

Correct. I have two VOX amps, a VT30 and a VT40 and do not have a problem with pinch harmonics. Turn off the noise gate as Axeight suggest above.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
glennmitchell907

Yep, I agree. It gives me the shits. The Mods chastise posters for Necro threads, old thread revival, yet that is what comes up on recommended threads.

Between that , Bot posts, advertisng scam crap, I ignore all the Forum home page now.
Last edited by Vreid at Nov 5, 2017,
Yeah. It's a problem that keeps happening and I don't know if there are any plans to fix it. But at least you realized it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.