Hey, I just got a few questions about TiVo so I'm seeing if anyone has had any first-hand experiences. For one, how is the per-month service and is it actually required? Also, can you copy movies saved on your TiVo DVR to your computer? I was going to just go through my satellite provider (Dish) for a DVR, but you cannot get your videos off them. Well, at least you can't without some ingenuity, and I really don't feel like voiding any warranties. Thanks for any information.
No but I have DVR which is similar (came with my Time Warner cable box).
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Quote by happytimeharry
Hey, I just got a few questions about TiVo so I'm seeing if anyone has had any first-hand experiences. For one, how is the per-month service and is it actually required? Also, can you copy movies saved on your TiVo DVR to your computer? I was going to just go through my satellite provider (Dish) for a DVR, but you cannot get your videos off them. Well, at least you can't without some ingenuity, and I really don't feel like voiding any warranties. Thanks for any information.

we used to use the comcrap DVRs until my brother made a nice HD DVR out of an old dell. It's running linux and a program called MythTV http://www.mythtv.org/

its not free but much lower in price compared to the comcrap or any other DVRs.
We run directly off the cable line and into the PC, no comcrap box needed there.
eh, I'm trying to stay away from having to buy all this extra equipment and getting all these programs. That's why I'm not going for a Dish DVR. I'd have to get a capture card and all that junk. I'm just wanting to know if you can swap hard drives out of TiVos and such. Damned Dish DVRs format and encrypt the hard drives...