Hello,

I was wondering if theres any real reason why most guitars have either a straight string to tuner travel path past the nut or its symetrical? I'm about to drill the holes for my 7-string headstock, and I would prefer a 2+5 kind of style, but that wouldnt really be "equal" on each side at all.... I could go 3+4 if it makes a diffrence, but I'd rather not.

Thank you for your comments,
C/ruel
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
In line tuners, like on a strat, are better for tuning stability. The symmetrical tuners, like on a Les Paul, are more aesthetic in their placement.

You can arrange your tuners however you want. One major thing to worry about is sharp angles coming from the nut, and another is the strings hitting another tuning post.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Alright, good to know. I'm assuming that it doesn't off a *lot* of tuning stability increase if so many companies just say screw it.

I'm not worried about the strings hitting other posts, I've drawn it out already, and I'm pretty positive that the angle of the string off the nut isn't going to be a problem, as the strings are only about half an inch off of where the straight line path would be.

Graphite infused nut + locking tuners +String through hardtail = Go with aesthetics then? Cool. Thanks for the help
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"