But, im looking to make some pretty cool effects with my bass. I already own a line 6 bass podxt live but what i really want is some bass synth effects. I know boss makes two synth pedals and i think ibanez makes one as well. However more of what im looking for is a synth board of some sort. Something full of effects. if that makes any sense.
The kind of sounds i love are like Tom Morello, Silversun Pickups guitar effects stuff. I am just not sure at where to begin for this
if you want to be a bass tom morello, i'd get the bass whammy. you have to get it ebay, i'm pretty sure they dont make it anymore, but its sick. also try the digitech bass synth
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
First off, this is not retarded. I've thought this same thing many times.

I'm not sure what a "synth board" is, but if I'm getting the image, you're thinking of something more in-depth than the Boss pedals, with more tweaking and control and wacky sounds. You really can't get that without dropping a load of money, though. You could get a MIDI pickup and install it on your bass, and then get a synthesizer with MIDI input (it wouldn't have to have a keyboard, which would make it a little cheaper). The MIDI pickup will translate the sound of the strings into computer data and then send it to the synth for it to be turned into sound. The thing is, that's really expensive (although very cool). I recommend getting the Boss SYB-5. I have it, and I like the sounds and the tweakability. I picked it up for $60 on e-bay, and last I checked it's $160 new. So buy it used.

I also just found out that Boss will soon release a pedal called the Slicer that's like an echo pedal that chops up whatever sound you play into it and then plays back the slices in rhythm, so that would give you some cool rhythmic effects. I'm thinking about getting it, depending on reviews. You can see video of the slicer on youtube if you search "boss slicer" or something like that.

Epic length post.
Beware the EHX and the Digitech. The EHX is basically a fuzz pedal with some fancy extras, and the Digitech is basically a wah pedal with some fancy extras. The thing about the Boss SYB pedals that makes them actual synthesizers is that they take the audio from the regular audio cable coming out of your bass and figure out what note it is. Then they actually use synthesis circuitry to generate sound based on what note is coming out of your bass. These other pedals don't do that--they alter the sound that's already coming out of your bass. In that sense, they aren't synthesizers. They may sound somewhat like them, but the Boss will be the most authentic.
Well if you want a Tom Morello sound you might need to get a guitar with a killswitch on it...
Member of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.

Member of the "Schecter Stiletto Players Will Rule The World" Club. PM Your41Plague12 or Fett13 to join.
look at moog products too, start with the bass MuRF, add a the ring modulator, and roll from there. I don't say this specifically for the artists you mentioned, it's just some of the most dynamic synth effects available that doesn't cost thousands of dollars (still really pricey though).
no question get the electro harmonix small clone chorus, i play guitar and bass, mainly guitar, but rigged my bass into my pedalboard and the mix of the boss tr-2 and the small clone sounded incredible, hard to explain but trust me its the best
Boss Pitch Shifter/EHX HOG
Boss SYB-3
EHX Bass Microsynth
some Flanger
some Phaser
some ring modulator

^ those will keep you busy for awhile
bass moog!!!
you can buy bass whammys at warmoth.com.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by GiantRaven
Flanger + Phaser + Delay = WTF?!

Dude that would sound like an elephant raping a squirrel...

AWESOME!

But yeah bass whammy is probably what'll do ya best here. I've played with guitarists that use whammy pedals and they can do some crazy **** with them.
Not to hijack but how much does one of these bass whammys cost and does it allow divebombs?
They cost more than it's worth, I think. And yes, they do allow for divebombs. If I were to get something like that to screw around with, I'd get either a regular guitar Whammy or a Digitech Expression Factory, which has a Whammy plus a bunch of other stuff. I'd compensate for the lost bottom with my EQ pedal I don't use anymore.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by rage6945
if you want to be a bass tom morello, i'd get the bass whammy. you have to get it ebay, i'm pretty sure they dont make it anymore, but its sick. also try the digitech bass synth

Nice one man
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Kinners_11
no question get the electro harmonix small clone chorus, i play guitar and bass, mainly guitar, but rigged my bass into my pedalboard and the mix of the boss tr-2 and the small clone sounded incredible, hard to explain but trust me its the best

I'm gonna have to get a TR2 and try that. I can imagine...

Someone mentioned the Roland GK2b; avoid it like Tonya Harding with PMT. It's nowhere near as good as the guitar one - bad latency, iffy ADC translations and so on. And the cost.

There's all sorts of pedals that can be abused to this end. Try some of the new Ibanez pedals - most of them have a switch or two which allows you to seriously derange things.

Or getting the likes of an E-H Electric Mistress modified.

If you're worried about loss of low end, you can always contain the effects between 2 of these 4 ch mini mixers, so u can keep 1 clean and adjust the others to suit. That's not unlike the Bootsy ( ) method, but without half a dozen amps...
I remember how much I wanted one of those Boss Synth, and many other effects. Everything changed when I joined a band.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by hippiebass
Not to hijack but how much does one of these bass whammys cost and does it allow divebombs?

The actual Bas Whammy is discontinued and costs about $600 on eBay.

I made a petition to Digitech for them to either 1) re-issue it or 2) modify the existing Whammy IV to allow for better bass response. It'd be nice for them to go back to the footswitch setting changes instead of the dumb knob though.

But now I've realized that there's the EHX HOG (youtube it - it's amazing), as well as the Boss PS-series pedals. Both of which are essentially forms of the Digitech Whammy, and work well on bass. However, you'll need to get an expression pedal for each; you can also buy a setting bank for the HOG, which is a plus.

however, the HOG is pretty expensive as well - ~ $450-$500?
boss has a wicked pedal effects board thing can`t remember what it was called but has a **** load of effects you can make some CRAZY sounds with it even make your bass sound like a guitar LOL seriously it`s mind blowing, my bassest in my band just got one. but all i remember was it was a BOSS and it`s blue and big and has a Wah on it.
Quote by Slayerdeath
boss has a wicked pedal effects board thing can`t remember what it was called but has a **** load of effects you can make some CRAZY sounds with it even make your bass sound like a guitar LOL seriously it`s mind blowing, my bassest in my band just got one. but all i remember was it was a BOSS and it`s blue and big and has a Wah on it.

BOSS ME-50B? I personally do not like multi-FX. Most of the ones I've played had a whole bunch of mediocre sounds, instead of a few good ones. I'd only buy one if I didn't know what kind of effects I'd want to buy, but even then, multi-fx are pretty expensive.