Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
i only looked at the last one and i'm not familiar with 'Crafted In Japan' Jaguars but it could be worth it if it is the real deal. Is there a reason why he doesn't have a picture of the neck or Serial number? It almost looks like he doesn't want you to see the headstock which scares me but he's got a good rating so hey....it is what it is, it's ehey

maybe someone else knows more about these guitars
Serial number is Q041128 which checks out to be from about 1993-1994. That fits everything I'm really looking for, and I like USA jaguar necks. Are the jap ones similar?

Last edited by zekk at Apr 5, 2008,
yep - +1...sorry if i missed the s# on web page i was having jitter and latency, sorry not familiar with jags or CIF in early '90s.

Does 'Crafted' mean spec'd, operationalized and observed with Country maybe being some where else or is it the same thing as Made?

yo
;
CIJ is the same thing as MIJ. Its made in japan

The bottom line is: MADE in Japan = older... CRAFTED in Japan = newer. It's that simple. I'll explain with a short bit of history. Please: Do your own research (readily available on the web), to verify:

Without bogging you down in every tiny detail...

Fender began making guitars in Japan in 1982. At that time, ALL Fenders were marked *MADE* In Japan (with a few unmarked exceptions, which I may post another guide detailing). Up till 1997, that's the way ALL Fenders manufactured in Japan were marked: MADE In Japan.

At some point a decision was made by Fender, for whatever their reason(s), to change this to CRAFTED In Japan. And, in 1997 Fender began using the Crafted In Japan marking. During that year - it is my understanding - guitars were marked both "Made" and "Crafted" In Japan. In 1998 and since, all Fenders manufactured in Japan have been marked "Crafted" In Japan.

So, it's just a matter of time. No magical formula to decipher or understand. No secrets to remember.

A quick visit to fender.com - and a tiny bit of curiosity - will verify. Go there and work your way to the Japan Serial Numbers page. You'll notice the first batch of numbers are "Made" In Japan numbers, while the second batch (at the bottom of the page) are "Crafted" In Japan numbers. Take a good look at *the dating*... you'll see for yourself:

Made In Japan = older... Crafted In Japan = newer

It's just a matter of time. It's that simple.
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi
Do it once, it's a mistake.

Keep doing it, it's Jazz.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
Quote by Pink Zeptallica
The bottom line is: MADE in Japan = older... CRAFTED in Japan = newer. It's that simple. I'll explain with a short bit of history. Please: Do your own research (readily available on the web), to verify:

Without bogging you down in every tiny detail...

Fender began making guitars in Japan in 1982. At that time, ALL Fenders were marked *MADE* In Japan (with a few unmarked exceptions, which I may post another guide detailing). Up till 1997, that's the way ALL Fenders manufactured in Japan were marked: MADE In Japan.

At some point a decision was made by Fender, for whatever their reason(s), to change this to CRAFTED In Japan. And, in 1997 Fender began using the Crafted In Japan marking. During that year - it is my understanding - guitars were marked both "Made" and "Crafted" In Japan. In 1998 and since, all Fenders manufactured in Japan have been marked "Crafted" In Japan.

So, it's just a matter of time. No magical formula to decipher or understand. No secrets to remember.

A quick visit to fender.com - and a tiny bit of curiosity - will verify. Go there and work your way to the Japan Serial Numbers page. You'll notice the first batch of numbers are "Made" In Japan numbers, while the second batch (at the bottom of the page) are "Crafted" In Japan numbers. Take a good look at *the dating*... you'll see for yourself:

Made In Japan = older... Crafted In Japan = newer

It's just a matter of time. It's that simple.

That puts me in a pickel then, because the serial number shows a 93-94 year guitar

yep - what i should have said was ...'maybe someone else knows more about these crafted in japan guitars'... as they are good and i want to learn more myself

inturdnet trouble makes it hard for me to jump around

tnx Pink and zekk for setting me strait
;
Sorry If I might have confused you. I found a good site that gave me a bit of info on my fender japan guitar might help you aswell. Here is the actual catalogue. http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=5
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
CIJ fenders are great I haven't played a jaguar or mustang but i played a jazzmaster and i'm gonna get one as my next guitar.

The Jazzmaster i played was great and played really well but the pickups didn't sound very good and lacked warmth so if i were you i'd definately go used so you can have some money left over to get some new pickups.

Those ebay listings you posted seem to me overpriced and you could get one that much new or maybe an MIA used for $1000.
ew jagstangs suck...

but in general made in japan guitars are on par with american quality, and they are a good value... they usually have glossy necks (its their specialty, but it could be bad for you idk)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
What about the american texas special pups?
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi

Quote by SlinkyBlue
actually, contrary to what becky and most people believe, the jaguar's bridge does not pose much of a problem when it is set up properly. When i first got my jaguar, the strings slipped a number of times, but when i sent it in for a set up before a gig, even with heavy picking and strumming, there was no problem at all. I recently learnt, by trial and error, how to setup my Jaguar properly, so there's no problem with my bridge, but keep it in mind, that with a proper set up, there's actually no need to get a mustang bridge for the jaguar.

yeah i've heard that the Japanese Jaguars' pickups are weak, but I love my MIA's pickups. I don't have any intention of modding them yet. However, beware, as the older Japanese Jaguars have basswood bodies, if i'm not wrong. The newer Japanese Jaguars and the american counterparts do sport alder bodies, and i think alder is the best wood for the jaguar. it's totally subjective though.

No offense to Japanese fender players, though, I myself am getting a Japanese telecaster soon (4 more days!!!). Soon I'll have a jaguar/strat/tele trio. and from 3 different countries. hahaha
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab