He's small, and blue. Which is odd.

No, anyway. My friend says that the song "Sweet Home Alabama" is a racist song. I'm sure most of you know the song, and I keep telling him that's it not. Skynyrd has never struck me as a racist band (despite the confederate flag, but is also for southern pride). He says it's a song retaliating to Neil Young, which I don't deny, but he's convinced it's a racist song. I don't think so.

Who's right? Which one of us is the real douche?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
its not racist. its just celebrating the south, which is inherently racist, so it seems that way.
I have no opinion on this matter.
He's the douche. Skynyrd isn't racist.
Your a douche. leave.

jk

Really?

He deserves a swift curb stomp.
P.L.U.R.

We'll choke on our vomit and that will be the end

We were fated to pretend
iv heard black people who still get pissed when bars play dixie to close. people are just to sensitive, everyone is so worried about being a racists that everything is being labeled racism in some way or another
empty the bullets from the chamber
Really the whole race debate is so drawn out it is ridiculous. Sad to say, and you can call me racist if you want, but most of it is the black race.

Before you label me as a racist, I don't see any skin color, the only thing I see is people.
P.L.U.R.

We were fated to pretend
who cares?
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ People who say that are full of shit.

There's a definite debate about the song because of the line "In Birmingham they love the governor," who at the time was segregationist George Wallace.

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/jammin/skynyrd.htm

Personally I couldn't care less.

Well they say in Birmingham THEY love the governer. Who are "they"?

If I say "they hate blacks" it doesn't mean I do.
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ People who say that are full of shit.

There's a definite debate about the song because of the line "In Birmingham they love the governor," who at the time was segregationist George Wallace.

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/jammin/skynyrd.htm

Personally I couldn't care less.

Me?

I'm actually not full of ****.

I live according to my own morals that dictate that race play no importance on the way a person is if they don't let it.
P.L.U.R.

We were fated to pretend
no the story behind that is neil young wrote the song southern man calling the south of america stupid dumb racist reneck hicks and sweet home alabama was a rebutel towards neil youngs song
song stuck in my head today

Yeah, but to say "I don't see skin color" is just stupid. I know you didn't mean it literally, but even in that metaphorical sense, it's still stupid.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Well they say in Birmingham THEY love the governer. Who are "they"?

If I say "they hate blacks" it doesn't mean I do.

^Well said.

They line is actually very anti-racist.
They were talking about how corrupt and wrong he was.
P.L.U.R.

We were fated to pretend
If you want to display southern pride, I would choose a symbol that didn't relate to the unfair enslavement of an entire race.
Quote by Paquijón
So a band you like doesn't happen to consist of perfect individuals, but rather humans. I don't see this as such a surprise.

Perfection was never an issue.

I was simply interested by his motives to call the song racist. I went through the lyrics, and there's really nothing to say it is.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by Dirk Gently
Yeah, but to say "I don't see skin color" is just stupid. I know you didn't mean it literally, but even in that metaphorical sense, it's still stupid.

Exactly. I definitely see skin color, if I didn't I would get my eyes checked. I don't think any race is better than the other, but they do exist.
Quote by RedMoonMan
it isn't racist, i knew black people that listened to them.

Did they get killed in a racially motivated fight?

Lame joke. Anyway I agree with this guy:

Quote by Zugunruhe
its not racist. its just celebrating the south, which is inherently racist, so it seems that way.
MLK rolls over in his grave every time a white man is denied a job because of "racial balancing".
That band is not racist, and neither is that song. I actually think its funny that people would consider a guy singing about a southern state racist.

There is so much labeling and grouping going around today that everyone tries and searches for every possible loop-hole just so they can negatively label them, its ridiculous.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.

Imediately after this line the backup singers say BOO BOO BOO, essentially putting down Wallace.

BTW It has been stated on many vh1 cmt mtv interviews that Sweet Home Alabama was written in direct response to Neil Youngs "Southern Man".
[
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Quote by telemonster

Imediately after this line the backup singers say BOO BOO BOO, essentially putting down Wallace.

BTW It has been stated on many vh1 cmt mtv interviews that Sweet Home Alabama was written in direct response to Neil Youngs "Southern Man".

In the song, Van Zant says "Souther Man don't need him around anyhow," in which he is referring to Neil Young. So, I suppose it was.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!