View poll results: win or fail?
Win
23 40%
Fail
13 23%
Whatev brah
21 37%
Voters: 57.
So, what does UG think about coated strings? im just trying to get an idea of UGs opinion on them.
top 7 bands to see before i die

sublime (seen)
nirvana (seen 2 times)
the beatles (seen)
jimi hendrix (seen)
bob marley (got tickets)
the doors (buying tickets soon)
frank sinatra
creed (seen 9 times)
ray charles (seen)
Quote by moody07747
I've never used them.

I'm sure they are nice but if they tack on any more than $5 to the price of a standard set of strings, I'm sticking with standard super slinky strings.

shun the non conformist

sublime (seen)
nirvana (seen 2 times)
the beatles (seen)
jimi hendrix (seen)
bob marley (got tickets)
frank sinatra
creed (seen 9 times)
ray charles (seen)
never tried them. I figured I change my strings to often for the extra price to be worth it.
The elixirs are great. Plus they last
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
elixirs are bad IMO, i tend to break them...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I had coated strings once, I didnt like the feel or sound of them. D'Addarios last for me, I never break strings.
I liked how long the strings lasted, but didn't care much for how they felt. I tried to like them, but just couldn't get used to the feel.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i bought some DR black beauties AND THEY ARE SHEXY
Quote by nebiru
Is this your music?

Are you confused? You have like 5 genres mixed into one thing. Who's the dude with the lisp rapping? because I bursted out laughing.
Elixir 12 nanonwebs--for acoustics there a must...I tried out other noncoated strings because of the dislike for elixers here(dull,twangy) and i came back to them within a fortnight..The sound amazing given a really clear nice sound..And they feel incredible..so easy to play on..I dont care what people opinions of them are there gonna be my only choice for acoustic..I think theres alot of""i cant afford it so bash it" going on
Damien Rice === Legend
Suck. They're only good for making crappy plywood guitars sound less horrible.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
For some elixers are great. But apparently Im not alone in breaking alot of elixers when I was using them. And there is a drop in tone using them. Just arent worth the price. Ddarrios are 3 bucks a set if bought 10 at a time. Thats 5 sets for the price of 1 pack of elixers. And I rarely if ever break ddarrios.
Quote by danyellenik
elixirs are bad IMO, i tend to break them...

Usually when you break strings you have a problem with your saddles being too sharp or a nut problem. I have tried to break the elixirs and I can't.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
A good idea on paper, but they sound very dull, and feel very slick (things that I don't like).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I looooove the nanoweb elixirs, but I stopped buying them because I can't afford £9-10 for a set of strings. I don't think I'll go back to them to be honest, the d'addarios I use now are almost as good for half the price. The elixirs are better but not £4-5 better.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
seems like alot of people are cheap jews.

sublime (seen)
nirvana (seen 2 times)
the beatles (seen)
jimi hendrix (seen)
bob marley (got tickets)
frank sinatra
creed (seen 9 times)
ray charles (seen)
Quote by tr00 punx 666
seems like alot of people are cheap jews.

Or perhaps mummy and daddy don't pay for their stuff so they want to use their money wisely.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
well id rather have the best,longest lasting strings on my guitar than an extra5 pound in my pocket
Damien Rice === Legend
Oh, come on guys. No need for an e-fight...

And I don't like them. They feel weird. I'll take standard Slinkys or 'Addarios any day.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I tried the Elixirs and I didnt like the fell of them, they felt "slippery" i guess. I just got a set of D'addario EXP's, and they are amazing, I like the sound, and they feel more like regular strings IMO.
The best with Elixir is the feel and tone, that they last longer than any other strings I've tried is second for me. The worst strings I've tried is the Fender Super Bullets, terrible feel, and I didn't like the sound. I will see if i can get that pack with 5 sets of D'Addarios the next time and try them.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Cobalt Blue
never tried them. I figured I change my strings to often for the extra price to be worth it.

I think that's just about where the coating is for, right? So you have to change it less often.
I have Elixers on my acoustic and they are fine But I put a set of DR Black Beauties on my electric and they sucked, sounded horrible with a real bassy buzz but the worst thing was they would not stay in tune I have never had strings go out of tune as fast as they did.
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
Well, now that thread is bumped up from way the heck back, I'm gonna have to say I hate coated strings. Don't like the feel at all, I hate how the coating starts to come off all over the guitar, and you pay 3 times the price for a string that lasts 3 times as long. Or you could buy 3 packs of strings, and change them as necessary. Seems just as good to me, unless you are lazy. Plus, nothing beats the brightess of a fresh set of strings.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge