I just finished wiring up my new pickups for my main guitar. Two Guitarfetish Loudmouths with coil splitting. The neck pickup works fine but the bridge one is extremely quiet except at very high volume settings and with a lot of distortion.
Also, the pot controlling its tone and coil switch doesn't seem to work. Only the volume one.
I'm assuming the two problems are related, but in what ways could they be?

Heres how I wired it: (or tried to)
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w_2pp
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
id say try replacing the tone pot. it probobly cuts the signal enough to make it so quiet although i may be wrong. pots are cheap too, so it shouldnt be too much of a hassle if its already busted right?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I'll leave that as a last resort. Can anyone think of perhaps a problem in the wiring that would make this happen?
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
This might be obvious, but make sure your pickups are set at the right height. The bridge pickup would benefit from being closer to the strings than the neck pickup. Move the neck pickup farther back from the strings if you need to.

After that, if the clean tone is still much louder from the neck than the bridge pickup, assume it's a wiring problem, and look over your soldering job. Is the tone from the bridge pickup humbucker-like, or does it sound like it's always split no matter the pot's position? (I assume it's a push-pull, right?)

If you have a multimeter around, make sure you got the right pickups. According to guitarfetish.com, the neck pickup should read 13Kohms, the bridge 14.5Kohms. If they both read the same resistance, that would explain the output difference. If the bridge pickup reads something like 7Kohms, it is either defective or the 4 conductors are mismatched and you're only getting output from one coil.

Also make sure the 13Kohms is at the neck position and the 14.5Kohms at the bridge position?...
Last edited by Joel Rainville at Apr 5, 2008,
kinda off topic but how do you like the loudmouths? i was thinking about getting one.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by Joel Rainville
This might be obvious, but make sure your pickups are set at the right height. The bridge pickup would benefit from being closer to the strings than the neck pickup. Move the neck pickup farther back from the strings if you need to.

After that, if the clean tone is still much louder from the neck than the bridge pickup, assume it's a wiring problem, and look over your soldering job. Is the tone from the bridge pickup humbucker-like, or does it sound like it's always split no matter the pot's position? (I assume it's a push-pull, right?)

If you have a multimeter around, make sure you got the right pickups. According to guitarfetish.com, the neck pickup should read 13Kohms, the bridge 14.5Kohms. If they both read the same resistance, that would explain the output difference. If the bridge pickup reads something like 7Kohms, it is either defective or the 4 conductors are mismatched and you're only getting output from one coil.

Also make sure the 13Kohms is at the neck position and the 14.5Kohms at the bridge position?...

The specifications (neck/bridge) were written on the bottom of the pup so I'm assuming thats ok. It sounds like its always in humbucker mode since theres no single coil buzz.
Does it matter how the pickup is oriented in the slot? That is, if you have side A and side B parallel to it could you rotate the pup and switch them without it screwing up?

Oh, and the one that works sounds pretty nice. Very full and warm. Now it sounds like a real guitar-before it sounded like a toy.
My mates guitar sounded EXACTLY the same when the coil splitting wires werent soldered togerther well on SD pups.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1