Hey there,

I'm looking for a cheap but fairly good guitar under $300 bucks.

I already have an Ibanez RG170 and I'm also looking into purchasing an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top or Yamaha AES720.

I want a third guitar because I love having guitars set up for specific tunings and sound.

I play almost anything....Punk, Metal, old school, Rock and Roll, classic rock...

Any suggestions?
Rocking the free world one step at a time!
btw the tuning will probably be Drop D for this one
Rocking the free world one step at a time!
I had a Dean Vedetta XM, got it for 100 bucks, and I loved it
Ibanez RG321MH, $280 new, 2 humbuckers, fixed bridge, mahogany body, thin neck. Type it in on musicians friend. I have it and its pretty good.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Gt this ESP EC-50 Electric Guitar

wood is very similar to mahogany , then change the bridge pickup to an Seymour Duncan SH-6, it would def be hot enough for you, SH-8 would be more Brutal but in al honesty a SH-6 is just as brutal as EMG 81 if not more brutal, the SH-8 distorts clean though so that is why I suggest SH-6

$200 for the guitar
$80 for the Seymour Duncan SH-6 Bridge pickup
$5 for Ernie Ball strings
12-52 would be a stout gauge to choose, I personally use 14-58
but 10-52 is fine too

if you get the Ibanez RG-321, you get an ugly wood painted guitar
with bad pickups for the same price as my suggestion

in the future change the neck pickup and the tuners to schaller locking and you have
an on budge ESP EC-1000 grade guitar
ththat ibanez you were talking about is nice.

BTW! I GOT UNBANNED TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry i thought that was called for. but i was thinking of getting that same ibanez a while ago as a first electric and right now it wouldnt be a bad choice even for my second.
Quote by xWhitechapelx
Gt this ESP EC-50 Electric Guitar

wood is very similar to mahogany , then change the bridge pickup to an Seymour Duncan SH-6, it would def be hot enough for you, SH-8 would be more Brutal but in al honesty a SH-6 is just as brutal as EMG 81 if not more brutal, the SH-8 distorts clean though so that is why I suggest SH-6

$200 for the guitar
$80 for the Seymour Duncan SH-6 Bridge pickup
$5 for Ernie Ball strings
12-52 would be a stout gauge to choose, I personally use 14-58
but 10-52 is fine too

if you get the Ibanez RG-321, you get an ugly wood painted guitar
with bad pickups for the same price as my suggestion

in the future change the neck pickup and the tuners to schaller locking and you have
an on budge ESP EC-1000 grade guitar

....no.

I would get an Epiphone G400 SG.
Quote by VivaLaJam
....no.

I would get an Epiphone G400 SG.

terrible pickups, pickups strings is what makes a guitar sound good so yeah why get a crap gutiar for 300ish with bad pickups when you can get a crap guitar and put good pickup in it and have a great sound hmmm your call
look around. You'd be amazed what idiot sells perfectly good guitars and you can buy em used. : ) I've scored some sick deals.seriously. Look around.
Quote by xWhitechapelx
terrible pickups, pickups strings is what makes a guitar sound good so yeah why get a crap gutiar for 300ish with bad pickups when you can get a crap guitar and put good pickup in it and have a great sound hmmm your call

Actually your amp plays a bigger role than your pickups. If he were to buy the ec-50 like you mentioned, he would have to change the pickups anyways. And from my experience with the LTD 50 series, I would suggest staying away from those, Higher end LTDs are great but the lower end ones have terrible quality.

Alos I wouldn't call the g-400 a crap guitar. It's one of the best guitars at that price, It's moddable. And with a roller nut and some other mods the guitar can actually compare to some Gibsons. The neck feels great(in my opinion), Great upper fret access, the neck dive is a pain but it can be prevented with a wider strap.
Last edited by sum_ugly_man at Apr 5, 2008,
Check out yamaha RGX 520fz
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal