I was just wondering what you guys do to get distortion on high gain amps.

1. Use a distortion pedal
Or
2. Use the distortion channel on the amp
Or do you just use the distortion pedal as a boost on an already overdriven amp.
Last edited by exotic at Apr 5, 2008,
A distortion pedal uses hard clipping, so it sounds harsher and more aggressive. Overdrives usually work better with high gain amps, as they use what's called soft clipping, which is how a tube clips into overdrive.

You usually use an OD pedal as a boost on lead channel of a tube amp. You keep the overdrive very low, and the level cranked up. This boosts the signal a little, and adds some color from the OD pedal. It helps tighten up the sound a little, and gives you a little added tonal variation. You can do the same thing with a distortion pedal, as they are very similiar, it's just a little harsher sounding.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^ that or you just use the distortion channel on the amp on it's own.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I usually just use the channels 3 and 4 on my amp. Sometimes I'll put a TS-9 in front.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
The purpose of a high gain amp is to have the natural gain, not from pedals.

If you have a great high gain amp, and you're still messing around with distortion pedals and want more, you're either stupid or have some issues.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by dgonz

If you have a great high gain amp, and you're still messing around with distortion pedals and want more, you're either stupid or have some issues.

+1 , pedals are for small practice amps anyway least for distortion anyway, but having good pickups can make a big difference
Quote by xWhitechapelx
+1 , pedals are for small practice amps anyway least for distortion anyway, but having good pickups can make a big difference

Distortion pedals are also for amps that can't get that level gain naturally, but you use the amp because it suits your main style well (and you play, say, some metal on the side).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by dgonz

Joe Satriani has dist. pedal, and he has a pretty high gain amp.
Quote by exotic
Joe Satriani has dist. pedal, and he has a pretty high gain amp.

he uses a modded boss ds-1, a weak distortion pedal, as just a simple boost.
the lead channel all tube amp distortion
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings: