I'm hoping there's some computer gurus on right now, I could use some help. I just finished installing Windows XP on an old dell piece of **** and it will not start up. It gets to the black screen before the login but it will not go any further, though once it got to the background. Odd thing is I can get into safe mode no problem. I tried a different hard drive to make sure that wasn't it, re-seated the ram and anything else I could and it still doesn't want to start normally. Why would it do that?
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
press the f8 or one of the f's to get into your system bios thing. ANd maybe its not in the correct boot order.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
I made sure the BIOS settings were right. F8 starts it into safe mode which is the only way this thing will work at the moment.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Perhaps do a full dump of the hard drive, then try again?
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
you can go to Wal-Mart and get a new computer (tower only) for less than the effort was ever worth. Go sell some of the unintersting things you own and get a new computer.
leave me alone, please.
Since it's on an old computer, it's possible that bootup overheats something. I'd suggest opening up the case and putting a fan on it, just to see.
sounds "driver" related....did you do a full wipe (delete old partition,then create a new partition,then format) ?
Or did you just re-install xp over the old xp?
There's a few things you can try...

1) Boot Disk
You'll need a working computer and a floppy disk for this one...
Toss the floppy disk into the working Windows XP machine and go to My Computer. It would probably be a good idea to format the floppy disk at this point...
From there, copy the following files from your root C:\

Boot.ini
NTLDR
Ntdetect.com

(These files are most likely hidden, so enable viewing of hidden files under the folder options menu)

Put the newly created disk in the broken XP machine and boot from the floppy drive.

2) Using the Recovery Console

Boot the machine from your Windows XP CD. When you reach the blue screen where setup begins loading all the Windows components, you will see an option to press "R" to enter the Recovery Console, so do that. It will ask you which Windows installation you're looking to work on - So select the appropriate one. If you set an administrator password, it will ask you to supply that. Once that's done, you'll be dropped into a command prompt environment where you can try a few things:

a) Try to repair Boot.ini
Type the following: Bootcfg /scan
This will scan your disk for any resident Windows installations and add them to your Boot.ini

If that doesn't work

Type the following: Bootcfg /rebuild
This will rebuild your Boot.ini file... As I recall it asks you to confirm everything as it does it's thing... Kind of annoying, but worth a shot.

b) Fix your boot partition sector
Simply type fixboot C:\
I'm assuming you installed windows to your C: drive anyway... If you didn't replace C:\ with whatever letter you used.

If all that fails, try just performing an "upgrade" or "repair".

That can be accomplished by booting from the XP CD and allowing it to scan your disk for Windows installations. It should find the one you just installed... Simply hit the "R" key to reinstall Windows over top of your installation (Also useful if you have files you can't risk kyboshing).

Hope this helps...
Quote by PsychomanZ
sounds "driver" related....did you do a full wipe (delete old partition,then create a new partition,then format) ?
Or did you just re-install xp over the old xp?

I wiped the old drive clean and made a new partition to install over. I did this with 2 working hard drives which is why I'm wondering how it's possible to not work...

Quote by etard

1) Boot Disk
Toss the floppy disk into the working Windows XP machine and go to My Computer. It would probably be a good idea to format the floppy disk at this point...

Boot.ini
NTLDR
Ntdetect.com

(These files are most likely hidden, so enable viewing of hidden files under the folder options menu)

Put the newly created disk in the broken XP machine and boot from the floppy drive.

Never thought to try that, or your other suggestion. It's too late to try now but I'll give it a shot in the morning. If it still doesn't want to work I'll probably smash it with a bat.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Quote by etard

1) Boot Disk

Boot.ini
NTLDR
Ntdetect.com

listen to this man
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Just remember... Because you formatted your hard disk doesn't necessarily mean the boot sector on the drive itself has been modified at all... It could be damaged.

Also, if you are not using a genuine Windows CD, it's also possible that your installation media is faulty.