im new to bass, and my friend plays, and im trying to get into it, i was wondering what a good beginner, but still high quality bass was, also amp too, my budget is around 500 dollars, each
for 500 dollars, you could get a decent secondhand mexican fender, J or P, which is really good quality.
However, since you're starting out, I wouldn't recommend going for secondhand, 'cause it's easy to get ripped off when you don't know what you're doing.

With that said, I'd suggest a Squier Jazz or P-bass, depending on your taste. It's around half of your budget, so you could use that to invest in a really good amp.

If your friend knows basses well, though, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check out the secondhand market.
You can pick up an SRX-300 for $330.00 which would leave you some extra cash for your amp. I've been playing on mine for 4 years now and I can't say one bad thing about it. It has a skinny neck with outstanding action. It would be absolutely perfect for you, I promise. I'm so impressed with mine, the next bass I buy will be an SRX700, which is the same bass but higher quality. It will be the last bass I buy.

That will leave you with $670.00 to spend on an amp. Your best bet would be to go to your local music store and play around on different amps in your price range. Go with whatever one sounds good to you. Just remember to confirm before you buy it that it has adequite amperage for what you plan to use it for.
im thinking of getting an iceman bass by ibanex, and my friend has an ibanez so i know they will be consistent, considering ive played many of their guitars and im getting a 80-90 watt range bass amp
Quote by sygnates21
im thinking of getting an iceman bass by ibanex, and my friend has an ibanez so i know they will be consistent, considering ive played many of their guitars and im getting a 80-90 watt range bass amp

I wouldn't, the Iceman is one of the worst Ibanez basses in my opinion, it's tone is quite bland and it doesn't balance to good

you'd be better off with one of the SR series or an ATK if you prefer chunkier necks
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I own an Ibanez GSR200, Cheap, Good tone and playing. I got it for about about £170
spend your money on an ashdown halfstack and save up more money for a standard j-bass
best setup imho
dean ML metalman bass
dean cadillac special-tiger eye-...
...saving for
Quote by eaton1012
+!

yup all you'll you need to know about buying your first bass guitar are in there.

+ Factorial? Factorial of what?

Also, get a $200 bass and put a LOT into the amp. You'll be so much happier later on.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
This is the way I see it.

$500, while a lot of money, isn't a lot of money, if you get what I mean. If you spend all 500 on the amp, you'll still want to replace it in a couple of years. Basically, if you have some income, and don't plan on gigging right away, spend more on the bass than amp. In a couple months, replace the ****ty amp you have with a good one. Say you have a Mexican Fender, you can for sure get by just by replacing hardware and electronics. With an amp, you're pretty much stuck with it. However, if you plan on gigging right away or don't have any income, then get the largest amp you can get outside of Behringer, and spend the rest on a bass.