And I was wondering what's a good neck pickup
for a nice crisp sound and still sounds good under (heavy) distortion

Should I stick with an EMG set (81/85)
or get EMG and another neck pickup
But I am getting a bridge EMG pickup for sure
Unless theres something abit better?
you only can combine emg's togehter
a combination between emg + a passic pick up is not possible
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe you can combine them together.
That doesn't mean you should, however, since the EMG will have much higher output, no matter what you do.
unless you have a valve amp id stick with passives, if you have a valve amp i would make sure u have quite a bit of headroom or else it will distort way too much.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by 601210
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe you can combine them together.
That doesn't mean you should, however, since the EMG will have much higher output, no matter what you do.

You can have an active and a passive p/u on the same guitar, but they can't be wired into the same circuit, since they need different value pots (25k for actives, 250/500 for passive).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by VivaLaJam
Unless you have a nice tube amp I wouldn't bother with EMGs imo.

Passives

emgs sound like crap no matter what amp you go through, imo. the thing about emgs, is no matter what guitar you put them into, they will sound just the same as any other guitar with emgs. if you like the emg sound i guess thats fine, just know you are limited in the tone area, espicially with actives, because actives dont keep any tone of the wood at all. if your downtuning your guitar and chugging the e string, go for emgs. if you do anything else, get passives. and dont combine an emg with a passive...unless your trying to kill everyone around you
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
emgs sound like crap no matter what amp you go through, imo. the thing about emgs, is no matter what guitar you put them into, they will sound just the same as any other guitar with emgs. if you like the emg sound i guess thats fine, just know you are limited in the tone area, espicially with actives, because actives dont keep any tone of the wood at all. if your downtuning your guitar and chugging the e string, go for emgs. if you do anything else, get passives. and dont combine an emg with a passive...unless your trying to kill everyone around you

Yeah that's true, but the tone wood does matter.
An EMG in a guitar made of Mahogany will sound better than an EMG in a guitar made of Agathis.
Quote by VivaLaJam
Yeah that's true, but the tone wood does matter.
An EMG in a guitar made of Mahogany will sound better than an EMG in a guitar made of Agathis.

+11.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I stick to solid state.
I think I might get some passive EMG's then.. or something else
Since this Ibanez is suppose to be my main metal guitar I might go for EMG's.
I have another guitar for anything else

But the only tube I'd buy is a Mesa/Boogie or maybe an Orange
Try Seymour Duncan Livewire Classic in the neck and Livewire Metal in the bridge. They're active pickups, but you can still get a pretty darn good clean tone out of it, (and also the crisp tones) and they sound awesome when distorted.
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']I stick to solid state.
I think I might get some passive EMG's then.. or something else
Since this Ibanez is suppose to be my main metal guitar I might go for EMG's.
I have another guitar for anything else

But the only tube I'd buy is a Mesa/Boogie or maybe an Orange
But what specific amp?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?