OK, been playing EVERY day since I started in midNovember with my POS acoustic...and haven't missed a day on my Electric since I got that in mid December.
I'm practicing on average about 1 1/2 hours a day...mostly playing songs. Metals songs, and I just do rhythm which means a lot of power chords so the same 2-3 fingers get 90% of the workout (play Rock you like a Hurricane 5-6 times in a row non-stop, and your see what I mean)
Last couple of days my index finger TIP (not joints) has really started to hurt. It has good callus, but where the string normally is when playing kind of has a permanent groove...and that in the last day or too (the groove) has gotten much bigger than it was.
ANYWHOO...after playing for 1 1/2 hours today, it REALLY hurt (BARELY go through Seek and Destroy...and I don't stop on that song for ANYTHING)

Solution:
1) Suck it up
2) Play more Drop D songs to give the finger tips a break
3) take a break from playing (how long?)
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
suck it up and strictly play on your acoustic for a week and watch the calluses build faster. play all your metal songs and whatnot on it still, but instead of focusing on speed, focus on pressing down on the frets with as little pressure as possible. it will help you later on down the road
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Suck it up and deal with it. The grooves with go after a while. I got massive grooves in my fingers from playing when I started, but I was on possibly the worlds ****test guitar which is probably why.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
LOL! I know what you mean by worlds $#!TTY#$T guitar. That acoustic I got on e-bay...there must be close to an inch gap from the strings to the frets.
I still play it in my room...but I am MUCH more inspired to play when I have the electric hooked up!
I haven't missed a single day yet...and I don't plan to. Just wondering if there was anything I could do to damage my fingers that would keep me from playing. If it's just a phase, then full steam ahead!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
play better music that requires 4 fingers?

thats the obvious solution, no?
I have no opinion on this matter.
start spinning basketballs with super trim nails, it basically burns your fingertips off
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
I think you should go for

4) learn how to press down on the frets with minimal pressure and suck it up for now.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by shredmeiser101
start spinning basketballs with super trim nails, it basically burns your fingertips off

that won't build calluses, it'll just wear them off.

what you need is IMPACT. the biggest calluses I get are from when I do a lot of intense bending on thinner strings for a few days in a row. you need to dig in REALLY far into your fingertips to make some really thick calluses that won't allow grooves to settle. then you can have fun biting a quarter of an inch's worth of skin off of your fingertips when you're bored and seeing how long it takes to re-grow.
then you can have fun biting a quarter of an inch's worth of skin off of your fingertips when you're bored and seeing how long it takes to re-grow.

Damn right. It is quite fun being able to chew so much away.
http://www.shredneck.com/
its this thing i saw in guitar world magazine, looks pretty cool, its suppose to biuld calluses, use this instead of a guitar for a few days and see what happens, ive never used it, but a few big name artists have
Quote by hairypineapple
i sliced open my pinky when i started practicing sweep picking, it stopped me using it for about a week

howd u manage to do that?
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Quote by hairypineapple
i sliced open my pinky when i started practicing sweep picking, it stopped me using it for about a week

Lol You are a weird kid. Where you holding a knife for a pick?
Quote by guitardude34875
http://www.shredneck.com/
its this thing i saw in guitar world magazine, looks pretty cool, its suppose to biuld calluses, use this instead of a guitar for a few days and see what happens, ive never used it, but a few big name artists have

Ive seen all these products coming for guitar. I think they are rather lame and just trying to cash in on the "everyone is playing guitar" trend. Just play your damn guitar. Don't waste your money on worthless peices of guitars.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Those shredneck things look useless. Practicing your fingering without the picking is like trying to f*ck a doorknob.

i guess your right, i dunno, i just saw it in GW magazine, and i thought it could help TS with his probelems
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Those shredneck things look useless. Practicing your fingering without the picking is like trying to f*ck a doorknob.

That has to be the worst analogy I've ever heard...
Quote by DashBlaster

Yeah, but you get the gist. You may get some practice at the deed, but ultimately it's pretty much fruitless unless you have the other component working for you (in this case, picking and fingering, in the analogy, a vagina, an ass, or even a keyhole)

EDIT: So actually, the analogy works
CALLUSES ARE NOT ALWAYS A GOOD THING.

I've been playing for about 13 years now and have really good calluses on my left hand...

BUT...

They'll never pleasure a woman again.

Bull**** aside, it doesnt take long for the skin to toughen up.

apparantly if you soak your finger tips in vineger it toughens them up...but you'l smell like a chip shop!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yeah, but you get the gist. You may get some practice at the deed, but ultimately it's pretty much fruitless unless you have the other component working for you (in this case, picking and fingering, in the analogy, a vagina, an ass, or even a keyhole)

EDIT: So actually, the analogy works

Yeah, I guess...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

That has to be the best comparison ever.
maybe take a day or two off, then suck it up and maybe cut down on your practice time if its really bad(say 1h instead of 1 1/2h)
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
I would switch to acoustic and practice on that for a few weeks. You'll build long-lasting callouses on an acoustic and will feel nothing once you go back to playing on an electric.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas
Quote by voodoo_ash

apparantly if you soak your finger tips in vineger it toughens them up...but you'l smell like a chip shop!

I thought that was meant to soften them up?
I don't know how well vinegar works, but Eric Claption did the same thing with rubbing alcohol. Just dip you fingers into it every few hours each day.
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
Haha, seeing as I bite my fingers to the point that they are essentially just open wounds, dipping them in vinegar could be quite fun
Quote by DashBlaster

+1
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Custom (Alpine White)
Roland Microcube

Hoping to get a Strat or Tele next.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

im pretty sure that was from Dodgeball?