Page 1 of 2
Hi, this question is to the people who have bought a guitar off ebay, i checked the details and it's everything you'd get in a les paul from the local music shop. I was wonderin when you did get your guitar, it WAS up to sratch the ones you buys from the music shop right? I got mine for $375.00, and that is a quarter of the price you'd get it at the music shop, thanks.
Quote by Def
was it an epiphone ? cause you wouldnt get a gibson for that cost of ebay

You'd probably be able to get a Gabson or a Gibsun though.
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\
Hi, this question is to the people who have bought a guitar off ebay, i checked the details and it's everything you'd get in a les paul from the local music shop. I was wonderin when you did get your guitar, it WAS up to sratch the ones you buys from the music shop right? I got mine for $375.00, and that is a quarter of the price you'd get it at the music shop, thanks.

Where'd you order it from? There's a lot of fakes floating around, often from chinese sellers - however if you bought it from a reputable shop or private seller with good feedback then you should be ok.

There's always a risk buying blind, particularly if it's a second hand instrument - you can't see it, you can't play it and you can't hear it before you buy. Obviously with a new instrument you get some kind of manufacturers warranty so you can be less cautious, but with used you really want to know your stuff before buying off ebay.

And 1/4 of the price? Where are you? If you're in the US a brand new Epi Custom is only about $600.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 5, 2008,
it might be an lp100 i got one exactly the same, beautiful, even if it is a bit cheap
hello
Quote by codybcool
You'd probably be able to get a Gabson or a Gibsun though.

Or a Gobson.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
btw, that's not the quarter of the price of any epiphone brand new, end of
hello
lolol noob. Dude you can get a new Epi for $400. I think that was a bit much to be honest.
Custom Strat
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Electro Harmonix #1 Echo
Fender Blues Jr.
Crate V18

“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Well, i'm not an american, lololol noob, i'm in australia and an epiphone les paul custom over here is $1300.00. So yeah, i got a good deal.

And Seagull, This guy is not chinese, he sells heaps of guitars on the australian site, it's brand new.
Quote by SupremeACL
Or a Gobson.

Gibsen or Gibsan. Could be done relatively convincingly...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I dont get why they're called customs, if like anyone can get one and they're mass produced?
Member of the Thrash Brotherhood

Quote by valennic

You sir are a genious.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

Winnah right here.
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\
Well i guess coz they're customly made

but they're not customly made, they make a guitar thats a little different from their standard and call it custom
Member of the Thrash Brotherhood

Quote by valennic

You sir are a genious.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

Winnah right here.
Sorry kid, hate to say it but they look fake to me. I know it sounds daft, but one of the dead giveaways for a knock-off site is that the pictures are always the "wrong way round". You always see guitars displayed with the bridge on the left and headstock on the right...don't ask me why but you do. However, for some bizarre reason every one of the dodgy fake sites displays them with the bridge on the right and the headstock on the left!

Don't get me wrong, it's a LOT more convincing than your these sites usually are, but my insincts are all telling me that it's dodgy. Prices are simply too low, and he uses the same photographic style that the dodgy sites use. My guess is he's a chancer who's knowingly bought himself a few fakes with the intention of selling them on for a quick profit.

Nobody's going to sell a genuine brand-new guitar for 1/4 of the RRP for that country...I'm afraid it looks like you got ripped off.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
Sorry kid, hate to say it but they look fake to me. I know it sounds daft, but one of the dead giveaways for a knock-off site is that the pictures are always the "wrong way round". You always see guitars displayed with the bridge on the left and headstock on the right...don't ask me why but you do. However, for some bizarre reason every one of the dodgy fake sites displays them with the bridge on the right and the headstock on the left!

Don't get me wrong, it's a LOT more convincing than your these sites usually are, but my insincts are all telling me that it's dodgy. Prices are simply too low, and he uses the same photographic style that the dodgy sites use. My guess is he's a chancer who's knowingly bought himself a few fakes with the intention of selling them on for a quick profit.

Nobody's going to sell a genuine brand-new guitar for 1/4 of the RRP for that country...I'm afraid it looks like you got ripped off.

I think the reason the guitars are facing the way they are is because he's taking pictures of them half-way in the case, and the case is of course right handed and only opens one way... granted this may be the way the fakers do it as well, half in the case, but it seems pretty innocent to me...
Quote by steven seagull

Isn't the very end of the tail piece supposed to line up in between the middle of the two volume knobs?
Also, compared to my Epiphone les paul custom, the bigger control cavity seems to be fairly close to the edge of the piece of wood.
Then of course there's the binding, which is white on the ebay item, not cream.
Tuners have also been cut too close to the end of the wood.
Hm...
I thought the standards only came with that tobacco sunburst colour too.
Last edited by Moe. at Apr 5, 2008,
On the picture I see on the link to ebay the bridge is exactly like the Epi site, right above the top right knob. They do come in that color (it's the plus, as stated before). Since the bidding has ended I can't see pics anymore, but I saw it before and I didn't see anything amiss with the tuners. It is a very low cost, but maybe the guy is a shop owner or something and got a few really cheap for buying the license to sell them or something, idk.

To me it seems like there is more info pointed to it being real rather than fake, but I'm not an expert, and I doubt anyone will be able to tell you 100% certain now seeing as the bidding has ended and so we can't see pics of that specific one.
Okay, so if it was a knock off, the difference is?

Because epiphone knocked off the gibson copy, so for some bizzare reason if this was not an epiphone, would it make a difference in the sound or quality?
Quote by edusty2010
On the picture I see on the link to ebay the bridge is exactly like the Epi site, right above the top right knob. They do come in that color (it's the plus, as stated before). Since the bidding has ended I can't see pics anymore, but I saw it before and I didn't see anything amiss with the tuners. It is a very low cost, but maybe the guy is a shop owner or something and got a few really cheap for buying the license to sell them or something, idk.

To me it seems like there is more info pointed to it being real rather than fake, but I'm not an expert, and I doubt anyone will be able to tell you 100% certain now seeing as the bidding has ended and so we can't see pics of that specific one.

I can assure you that the bridge does not line up with the picture on the Epiphone site.
The bridge isn't supposed to be 'above' it's supposed to be a little towards the neck.
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\
Okay, so if it was a knock off, the difference is?

Because epiphone knocked off the gibson copy, so for some bizzare reason if this was not an epiphone, would it make a difference in the sound or quality?

Epi didn't knock off the gibson company. If you make exact copies of another companies guitar you instantly get sued out of your mind. Epi is a part of Gibson w/rights to use shapes/names/etc.

If it's NOT an Epi, then it might be a cheaper wood (which would be a minus), it would almost positively have cheaper hardware/tuners/bridge/etc. the wiring might be faulty, and the construction would more than likely be ****.

So, if you did get ripped off, you can replace the tuners (you may want to do that even if you get a real one, locking tuners = better than regular ones. Those would be upwards of 50 USD.) You can always replace bridge/stop bar, which would be about (give or take) 100 USD, and you could get a Gibson tail piece with the fancy fine tuners. Then of course if you do new pickups that's going to depend on what you buy, you could get a pair of $100 one or a pair of $300 pups. The wiring wouldn't really be hard to fix though. You will not be able to fix the construction. Plain and simple.

All and all if it's a fake and you would rather just keep it and upgrade it, you'll probably spend just as much or more on the upgrades as you have on the guitar, and if the craftsmanship is poor you're still not going to have a great COMFORTABLE guitar. (Well maybe, but not as much as even the Epi guitar).

If I were in your position here's what I would do...

I got it, and it's real. Replace tuners (atleast) and maybe pickups (this is totally optional).

On the other hand, I get it and it's fake. What I would do is sell it as a copy on Ebay and start the bidding at $50 to $100 less than what you bought it for. You might atleast get back you're cash and then whoever you sell it to won't be disappointed when they get the POS. Then you can just keep saving up and try again off ebay or buy one for Musicians Friend or something.

Just my .02
Not my picture, but..
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e264/Cai17/IMG_2335.jpg

You see how the very end of the Tail piece/bridge is lined up a bit to the left of the Top volume control knob?

Where as this..
http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=760459&image=117727606&images=117727596,117727606,117727618,117727630,117727650,117727677&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0
Is slightly to the right?

And Edusty, it goes further than 'lower quality wood.'
A fake would usually, not always, but usually be a crappy ply wood body, plastic tuners and hardware, and some of the worst electronics around.
Last edited by Moe. at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by Moe.
I can assure you that the bridge does not line up with the picture on the Epiphone site.
The bridge isn't supposed to be 'above' it's supposed to be a little towards the neck.

I think it's the angle of the picture. I'm not going to claim it is or isn't a real Epi, I'm just saying IMO I really think it is, in fact, a real epi.

If you think differently cool, but I'm not seeing the difference you are, and I can't look at the tuners now, so I'm just going off the pic of the body. But arguing about who's right/wrong is totally pointless.

*EDIT*

Quote by Moe.
Not my picture, but..
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e264/Cai17/IMG_2335.jpg

You see how the very end of the Tail piece/bridge is lined up a bit to the left of the Top volume control knob?

Where as this..
http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=760459&image=117727606&images=117727596,117727606,117727618,117727630,117727650,117727677&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0
Is slightly to the right?

And Edusty, it goes further than 'lower quality wood.'
A fake would usually, not always, but usually be a crappy ply wood body, plastic tuners and hardware, and some of the worst electronics around.

Ok, just looked at those two pics and there is too much of a difference to say it's the angle. Maybe the year of the guitar? I can't imagine they'd make a mistake in the factory, but I'm sure that's not IMPOSSIBLE (it is highly improbable though).

I know it goes farther than lower quality wood, which is why I listed the other bad things you just said too.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by edusty2010
EDIT:

Ok, just looked at those two pics and there is too much of a difference to say it's the angle. Maybe the year of the guitar? I can't imagine they'd make a mistake in the factory, but I'm sure that's not IMPOSSIBLE (it is highly improbable though).

I know it goes farther than lower quality wood, which is why I listed the other bad things you just said too.

The year of the guitar wont affect it.
The 'serial' number on the epiphone from Ebay states EE07... Meaning it was made in 2007. My epiphone les paul custom states 07 too, yet does not have the unlined bridge.
It's on an angle, to see the exact difference it'd be good to have it on a birds eye view
Quote by Moe.
The year of the guitar wont affect it.
The 'serial' number on the epiphone from Ebay states EE07... Meaning it was made in 2007. My epiphone les paul custom states 07 too, yet does not have the unlined bridge.

I didn't figure it would, as far as I know the LP has gone unchanged (it's been modified but not substantially)

Well, serial numbers are quite easy to fabricate... Hmmm... Idk man, the bridge thing does confuse me. I guess you're just going to have to wait and get it. If you do get it and if you even think it's a fake, take it to a store and do a SBS comparison of yours and the Epi custom.
Hmmm... I'll say I do see the difference, I'm going to look at the Epi site and compare a few (they have all the guitars at the same angle) and I'll come back and give my (PROBABLY) final verdict.

EDIT

It's real. Look at the Epi site, on almost EVERY SINGLE ****ING LP the TOM or stop bar is in a different place.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 6, 2008,
I see that the LP-100's have the same bridge, but they would've had to do a hellovallot to get that lp-100 to a custom, they would've had to change the finish, the humbuckers, the neck to make it a binding and not a bolt on, they couldn't have even of done that, so once again i'm confused
Quote by edusty2010

It's real. Look at the Epi site, on almost EVERY SINGLE ****ING LP the TOM or stop bar is in a different place.

If it's real, why is the bridge still not aligned with the one on the epiphone site for the Custom plus?
I still have my doubts about this..
The binding is also still discoloured.
Last edited by Moe. at Apr 6, 2008,
Yeah, the one I posted, and the two customs you posted, all line up. Maybe not so much the one I posted, but that might be because of the angle.
It seems as if you, thread starter, have also failed to understand what to look for in an Epiphone/Gibson/guitar in general to spot a fake.

I'm still doubting the authenticity of this, but if you want to purchase it be my guest.
Page 1 of 2