Hi all,

I would like to know if what i have understood is accurate and complete.

Firstly i am an intermediate level guitarist wanting to break free from chords and power chords to solos and improvisation.

question 1
what is the key or root or base chord?
ans - Its the first chord of the melody. eg : E C D -- KEY is in E.

question 2
Can any combination of chords sound melodies or are there only certain groups of chords which sound good?
and - I DONOT KNOW.

question 3
What notes can be played while soloing over the chord group E C D?
ans - All the notes that lie in the E scale ( any one of the 7 forms) because E seems to be the key or the root note.

( i am really very confused over the above question so if someone could elaborate on what exactly a key is and what notes one is allowed to play while soloing over some chord progression)

Please let me know if my understanding is correct and complete............ if there are other explanatioins please include them.

thank you one and all.
Hi all,

I would like to know if what i have understood is accurate and complete.

Firstly i am an intermediate level guitarist wanting to break free from chords and power chords to solos and improvisation.

question 1
what is the key or root or base chord?
ans - Its the first chord of the melody. eg : E C D -- KEY is in E.

question 2
Can any combination of chords sound melodies or are there only certain groups of chords which sound good?
and - I DONOT KNOW.

question 3
What notes can be played while soloing over the chord group E C D?
ans - All the notes that lie in the E scale ( any one of the 7 forms) because E seems to be the key or the root note.

( i am really very confused over the above question so if someone could elaborate on what exactly a key is and what notes one is allowed to play while soloing over some chord progression)

Please let me know if my understanding is correct and complete............ if there are other explanatioins please include them.

thank you one and all.

question 1: key is E because it is the first chord of the song in most if not all cases the first chord determines the key unless stated otherwise

question 2: you could try harmonizing the major scale if your key is C then the chord progression that sounds best for the C major scale is Cmaj Dmin Emin Fmaj Amin Bdim just change the chords to match the notes of the E major scale so instead of Cmaj you play Emaj then F#min and so on

Question 3: you want to play the E major scale and its modes to make a good sounding solo or you could just randomly hit E, C and D notes all over the fretboard whatever floats your boat
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

1 - what you've said in question 1 is true in most of the cases, but sometimes you have to use you're ear (and eyes), it goes something like this, you have to listen to the rhythm first, then the chord that sound like the beginning of the rhythm is the key, or you may study circle of fifths.

for questions 2 and 3, I think that you have to know scales
T/S
Are they all major chords? Or are they powerchords?

The E major scale is E F# G# A B C# D#. The C# and G# would clash with the C major chord, and the D# would clash with the D chord.

Personally, if they are all major chords, I'd play a different major mode over each chord, or major pentatonic if you dont know modes yet.