Hey, no idea where the hell to post this thread so don't go all "ZOMMGZZZ WRONG THREADDD REPORTEDDDD" on me.

My band is starting to record our stuff, but at the moment it's just a ****ty little camera that can record sound too. I wanted to know if there is anything we could use that isn't a recording studio, as we are 14/15 year olds and we can't afford it. I want something that is good quality and we could maybe buy something pretty decent but not full on expensive. Thanks guys.
My Gear...
Guitars:
- Ibanez RG350EX
- Cort Acoustic
Amps:
- Randall RG75
Effects:
-Boss ME-50 Multi Effects

Quote by Ajax413
Pfft... I know a guy who didn't even masturbate until he was 18... now that's a late bloomer.
if you can get hold of drum mics then audacity is a canny good bit of recording software, you can download it for free if you have a search on google or sumat
me and my mate record on it a lot and its canny good
i think you need some extra file as well if you wanna convert them to mp3 but i think thats also free
hope this helps
Audacity is freeware anyway, so it's available free from their site. It's an excellent audio recording and editing tool, considering you don't have to pay for it.

And I believe audacity saves to MP3 anyway. It's been a while since I've used it, but I don't recall ever having problems saving to MP3.
What about Acid? The only thing with that is that when you plug it into the computer the distortion on it sucks and stuff. I'm also not that clear on how to use it for doing a whole band and stuff.
My Gear...
Guitars:
- Ibanez RG350EX
- Cort Acoustic
Amps:
- Randall RG75
Effects:

Quote by Ajax413
Pfft... I know a guy who didn't even masturbate until he was 18... now that's a late bloomer.
Zomg wrong thread reported!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111!!!!!!!!! srry just came out of the pit
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Get some Shure SM57's..Or Some of those behringer 3 packs or 2 packs are okay for around $80..Then records with something like Cool Edit Pro 2.0, Or mixcraft 3...Yeah good luck
I'd say ...no, don't bother. Recording is cheap and easy now, whereas doing it yourself takes a lot of initial funds to get the hardware and software you need. Plus all bands need some studio experience, at least to get an idea how it all works. The only alternative is to have it recorded by a mobile engineer at a live show, but for that you've got to really know what you're doing to get a good take - plus the vocals rarely sound too good.

I say book a cheap and cheerful studio. A lot of schools and sound engineering instituions have their own studios which you can usually blag if you know the right people.
Quote by SquierLolz
Zomg wrong thread reported!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111!!!!!!!!! srry just came out of the pit

ehehehe lol

Are there any like recording system things that you can buy for a few hundred or is it just the programs and **** on the computer and using microphones with that?

And with the studios, the only thing is that you have to keep paying every time you want to go in and record something and I'd prefer to have something that we can just use whenever.
My Gear...
Guitars:
- Ibanez RG350EX
- Cort Acoustic
Amps:
- Randall RG75
Effects:

Quote by Ajax413
Am I the only one who finds that on Audacity when you are multitracking and have a fair few going, like 4-5-6 when you make a new recording it always ends up out of sinc?
Am I the only one who finds that on Audacity when you are multitracking and have a fair few going, like 4-5-6 when you make a new recording it always ends up out of sinc?

At a guess, probably a latency issue. Try using ASIO drivers, and getting better audio hardware or at very least some extra RAM.
Quote by ICEMANN999
pirate acid and get some condenser mics

he needs dynamics if he uses condensers he's going to need phantom powering too.
Sure sm57 and 58 are some good mics to look at have a look at the program reaper its free and made by a guy that made cubase its pretty good and I used it before I got cubase and its awesome considering its free. =]
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
if he starts using condenser mics he'll need to buy a Multitrack Compact-Studio that has phantom powering which can get pretty expensive, (you can get some condensers that can take batterys) It really depends on the quality of the recordings you want and how much you want to spend.
also Condenser and dynamic mics are best used for differant things in recording studios condensers tend to be best for drum overheads, high hats so on, dynamics tend to be used more for amps vocals.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Last edited by sepultura alma at Apr 5, 2008,
Hi...

Actually I was going to post a thread on the same topic since i'm also looking to buy some recording equipment.

So far, I have narrowed down my choices into the following

1. The Line 6 Pro Tone (I'm going for the UX1 ) : http://line6.com/toneport/
2. This Behringer starters kit : http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/72138

I am confused on which one to go for .I have been doing some research on
recording software and interfaces that are used commonly.
One thing that I am doubtful about is :

Can software such as Audacity, Sony Acid pro or Cakewalk give you
professional sound quality when matched with bulky hardware interfaces ?
such as this boss portable recording studio :http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/br-900/67805 ?

To be precise, what can give you better sound quality a software that
helps you mix music on your computer or the traditional bulky hardware interfaces ?