hey there,
i have a cheap amp that produces very little distortion compared to what i would like. If i bought a distortion pedal. would it give the amp a boost on the distortion front? any answers would be appreciated
Louis aka Louis
Yes, it would but it would be best to try and borrow a friend's pedal and try it with your own amp to see how it sounds as it's all well and good trying a pedal in a store but you'll probably be put through a much better amp and so in store it can sound great but when you get it home it can fall slightly flat of your expectations so best bet is to borrow a pedal, try it out then purchase one if it sounds ok
Quote by kurt5494
Yes, it would but it would be best to try and borrow a friend's pedal and try it with your own amp to see how it sounds as it's all well and good trying a pedal in a store but you'll probably be put through a much better amp and so in store it can sound great but when you get it home it can fall slightly flat of your expectations so best bet is to borrow a pedal, try it out then purchase one if it sounds ok

Longest sentence in the world. Don't be afraid of full-stops/periods.

Quote by EdawMail
oh. i thought this thread would be about an amp with a dead rat in it...

+1

TS: Pedals still rely heavily on your amp having a reasonable clean tone. Your best bet is to try a decent modelling box, like the Line6 Pod, which also emulates amps and speakers. Or, you could use the money to save for a nice little valve combo.

The choice, is yours.
This belongs in Guitar Gear & Accessories not in Gear Building & Customizing

I'll ask a Mod to move it for you.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
This belongs in Guitar Gear & Accessories not in Gear Building & Customizing

I'll ask a Mod to move it for you.

do it fast befor the world ends
^^Wait to late I feel the earth starting to slow down.
Pedals are in the ear of the beholder. And depends alot on what kind of distortion your looking for. I dont have any distortion pedals I just use a turbo tubescreamer to push my tube amps lead channel harder when I need it. So your just going to have to try some and see what you like.