Hey All,

I've some 54-11s winging their way to me and am looking for some advice on how best to go about restringing my guitar with it downtuned to dropped C.

My setup has 9s at the moment and features an original floyd rose locking trem.

I have a few specific questions which I need some help with:
  • Will I need to adjust the string guide which is located just above the locking nuts?
  • Will I have to adjust the spring tensions
  • Will I have to tweak the action?

There are probably a whole load of other appropriate questions which I haven't even thought of so any help would be really appreciated.

I am a OFR n00b.
Well your better off getting a setup, 9's to 11's is big your gonna need your neck adjusted (which you dont wanna mess with unless you are absolutley sure you know what your doing) your bridge balanced and action raised go take it somewhere 30 bucks for a set up usually
Last edited by gtr_101 at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by gtr_101
Well your better off getting a setup, 9's to 11's is big your gonna need your neck adjusted (which you dont wanna mess with unless you are absolutley sure you know what your doing) your bridge balanced and action raised go take it somewhere 30 bucks for a set up usually

Actually I would suggest 12-52 for Drop-C I personally use 14-58, and I can go from A standard which is Drop G basically all the way to E standard which is regular tuning, which means drop C is in the middle of that range.

Truss rod adjustments really are not that complicated, if you want neck to go upwards you loosen it and if you want it to go more horizontal you tighten it. First just put the allen wrench in usually 3/16th and see if it is already tight or loose, if it is really tight that means its not a good idea to strain it more, but most cases you actually have to loosen it, especiall with bigger guage strings so you won't have fret buzz, you'll also have to raise the string heights a tad, look it up on google you don't have to pay someone on something as simple as tieing your shoe I would suggest getting 5 tremmolo springs and putting tubes in them so you won't have a rattleing noise, you want the bridge to be perfectly horizontal, if you go lower than drop-C you can put small pice of wood to keep bridge up
Quote by gtr_101

i agree,
i changed the strings on my floyd rose equipped guitar once and completely knackered the intonation, height and tension, had to take it to a music shop to get a proper setup
if your not that good with floyd roses then your best bet is definately to get it setup by someone who knows what their doing
I changed my guage from 9's to 11's, and i didnt have to make any truss rod adjustemnt, and the action seems fine, i only had to change the spring tension.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer