Page 1 of 2
I searched and didn't find much

Well, I know this has been discussed before, and I normally wouldn't make a thread like this, but a friend (I'm assuming) wants to learn because he messaged me about it on myspace.

This is what I've told him so far...

"It is difficult but I don't think it is too difficult. It is a hard question to answer because there are a lot of variables that affect the answer. It really depends on what you want out of it man, and what you want to play. If you really put your mind to it and practice, you'll gain the skills you want and some things will be hard to learn and some will be easier.

Don't think you're too old to play either man, there are guitarists who started in their late teens and their 20's who made it. I give you some more information later."

Do you think that is a sufficient response?

I told him I would get him some more info later and that is where you guys come in
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
the earlier the easier

i started when i was 11, im 15 now and im progressing much faster than alot of my friends who started later

also guitar is easy if you can put the work in, if you play for a few minuits every now agin obviously your not going to get better

half an hour a day at least then your fine.
I'd say it's hard as a beginner, but after a while of course it gets easier.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
when you begin you find it quite difficult but you advance reaaally fast after that
I'm no natural and I find it quite hard but it feels amazing sometimes.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung.
It's not something that you can be half hearted at and get to a level that you'll be happy at, but it's a fun thing to do and very rewarding; i'd say it's tricky, but I'd also say it's a bit of a null question, once you realise the joy then you wont really be too fussed by working at it
to play? its quite easy

but to learn all the facetes of the guitar, r at least the aspect of the guitar that your concerned about, takes lots of time and dedication..obviously
Quote by yawn
There are most certainly not the same thing. They share the same notes, but then again a hamburger and vomit could share the same molecular composition.

Need a laugh?

Quote by GeneralGrim
Lmao. You, sir, just made my year.
i sixteen i got my guitar for christmas when i was a sophomore i own all my friends who have been playing since seventh or eight grade, im now a junior

it all depends on how much work you want to put into it

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

When beginning, it is hard as hell, but it doesn't take long before you get into it.

I believe harp and violin would be more difficult to learn.

Edit:

Quote by Jehuty
You can make it as hard as you want.

Whilst that was a serious reply, that also sounded strangely erotic.

You're so silly Jehuty.
It's really easy compared to other instruments when you start out, but it's really hard to actually get good if that makes sense.
if he's asking a question like tyhat then he must be slightly scared of putting effort in. it's not something you can learn in 3 seconds, so tell him if he puts the effort in then he'll be able to, but you can't go into it thinking 'i'm gonna be well good because i want to be' he's got to think 'i want to be well good so i'm gonna try'
hello
Quote by philipisabeast
It's not something that you can be half hearted at and get to a level that you'll be happy at, but it's a fun thing to do and very rewarding; i'd say it's tricky, but I'd also say it's a bit of a null question, once you realise the joy then you wont really be too fussed by working at it

I forgot to mention that.

Thanks for the replies so far guys/girls/ .

Quote by Jehuty
You can make it as hard as you want.

Whilst that was a serious reply, that also sounded strangely erotic.

True.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by opc100
if he's asking a question like tyhat then he must be slightly scared of putting effort in. it's not something you can learn in 3 seconds, so tell him if he puts the effort in then he'll be able to, but you can't go into it thinking 'i'm gonna be well good because i want to be' he's got to think 'i want to be well good so i'm gonna try'

I second this. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.
It's quite curious.. you're all saying that it's only hard in the beginning... It was pretty much the opposite to me! Really easy in the beginning and getting harder. But there's nothing better than feeling the music take place under your fingers. Nothing.
I never thought of it being hard... That makes it seem like a chore or something to practise. I just play because its fun and sounds nice.
Quote by DeSean
I never thought of it being hard... That makes it seem like a chore or something to practise. I just play because its fun and sounds nice.

I had that in the beginning, but not so much now anymore. I should focus more on the music part of playing music instead of trying to always just get better.

On a side note - where the hell have you been? Haven't seen you post in a while. Maybe it's just me.
Quote by opc100

Well, he is an English Major at the University of Austin man.I don't think he is scared, but like I said (indirectly), he might not have all the time in the world like those of you in high school.

Quote by Jehuty
I had that in the beginning, but not so much now anymore. I should focus more on the music part of playing music instead of trying to always just get better.

On a side note - where the hell have you been? Haven't seen you post in a while. Maybe it's just me.

+1 It's been awhile.
Quote by Senor Kristian
depends on the person i guess. I picked it relativly quickly compared to others.
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
The beginning of playing guitar isn't difficult, it only takes time and dedication, that's what's difficult for many to put in.

Just by practicing 30minutes to 1 hour a day (a day, don't skip days) will get you comfortable and you will each day progress a little bit further. But you must do this everyday, it's like an excercise, if you skip days your hands will be out of shape (meaning they will be stiff when playing guitar) and you will have to get back on track.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
It's all about the time you put into it. I've seen plenty of people buy guitars and just give up after a few weeks because they can't get their fingers arranged in the right way, or the pads of their fingers are too sensitive. I think if enough time is put into it, becoming a good guitarist can be pretty easy. Getting to an advanced level is a little different, though.
yeah id say the same thing if you put the effort in then it will be fine
dont' know how good you'll get but its always worth a try
i dont want to change the topic of this thread but ive been wanting confirmation on this for a long time
i've been playing since i was 16 and a haf, im now 17 and a haf so that means ive been playing for a year.
ive started playing stuff such as trivium, alter bridge, machine head, etc... with a lot of their solos played by me in our band.
i dont know how well ive been doing, i feel that for year ive made really good headway but i think a little confirmation or criticism from the ug community would help me along
Quote by lefthandman9876
the earlier the easier

i started when i was 11, im 15 now and im progressing much faster than alot of my friends who started later

also guitar is easy if you can put the work in, if you play for a few minuits every now agin obviously your not going to get better

half an hour a day at least then your fine.

hahaha half an hour is nothing dude,
id say AT LEAST 4 hours a day if u wanna be great
Quote by liam1107
yeah id say the same thing if you put the effort in then it will be fine
dont' know how good you'll get but its always worth a try
i dont want to change the topic of this thread but ive been wanting confirmation on this for a long time
i've been playing since i was 16 and a haf, im now 17 and a haf so that means ive been playing for a year.
ive started playing stuff such as trivium, alter bridge, machine head, etc... with a lot of their solos played by me in our band.
i dont know how well ive been doing, i feel that for year ive made really good headway but i think a little confirmation or criticism from the ug community would help me along

You're doing fine, about where I was.

Yeah, I should have told him to just stick with it no matter what. As long as you don't give up in the beginning stages, you'll get better with time because it takes time to get better.

Be right back, I'm gonna shower.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Apr 5, 2008,
One thing I'd like to add, is that when I was a beginner, I felt some pressure on having to meet certain standards of skill at a certain amount of time you've played. All these people here saying they can play Master Of Puppets in its entirety after 6 months are often just full of **** - surely it's possible, but I'm willing to bet that 9/10 times it'll be sloppy as hell.

Do not let these false standards bother you or anything, cause it only takes away from the pleasure of playing. And also, when you learn new things on guitar - learn em perfectly. I'd rather see someone playing Californication PERFECTLY note for note , than seeing someone butcher Master of Puppets or something. Just take the time to enjoy what you're learning, and don't bother with any pressure that you feel for reaching standards.
i agree with jehuty it is much more fun for you and the people listening to you if you can play whatever your playing cleanly. this just ties in with some of the posts above. its all about the time that you put in. also when your learning its more fun to mix up the music that your learning. different genres and difficulty levels. but make sure that you enjoy what your playing. im not sure if people will agree with me but ive never had a guitar lesson in my life, mainly because i want to learn my music, not mary had a little lamb. guitar lessons to me just make you somewhat of a clone of another guitar player, their style, their genres.
so to summarise to make learning easier pick two thing that are different but not complete opposites to learn
e.g. right now im learning alter bridge - blackbird (easy up until 2nd solo) and machine head - aesthetics of hate (hard especially dual solo)
Quote by Jehuty
One thing I'd like to add, is that when I was a beginner, I felt some pressure on having to meet certain standards of skill at a certain amount of time you've played. All these people here saying they can play Master Of Puppets in its entirety after 6 months are often just full of **** - surely it's possible, but I'm willing to bet that 9/10 times it'll be sloppy as hell.

Do not let these false standards bother you or anything, cause it only takes away from the pleasure of playing. And also, when you learn new things on guitar - learn em perfectly. I'd rather see someone playing Californication PERFECTLY note for note , than seeing someone butcher Master of Puppets or something. Just take the time to enjoy what you're learning, and don't bother with any pressure that you feel for reaching standards.

Yeah, I did that to.
Quote by Senor Kristian
It has been said the guitar is the easiest instrument to learn but the hardest to master.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
It has been said the guitar is the easiest instrument to learn but the hardest to master.

Yeah, I've heard that but I remember in the "which instrument is the hardest" that french horn is one of the hardest...I also heard that they are all essentially the same difficulty, with difficulty being subjective.
Quote by Senor Kristian
i dont think its that hard. it depends on someones natural musical ability, and other factors. i mean, i think anyone that puts a reasonable amount of effort and practice into playing can become a decent guitar player.
Quote by lefthandman9876
the earlier the easier

i sense an overlarge ego in The Pit...
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I remember he also played/plays violin so I don't think he would have a hard time picking it up.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by The Virtuoso
Yeah, I've heard that but I remember in the "which instrument is the hardest" that french horn is one of the hardest...I also heard that they are all essentially the same difficulty, with difficulty being subjective.

I'm sure they all have their learning curves. But if guitar was terribly difficult to learn (not master not even to get profficient) there wouldn't be guitar stores in every good sized town and larger in the entire western world. You don't see "french horn" stores everywhere. And if their is a website called "Ultimate French Horn" I bet they don't have half a million members. So why is guitar so damn popular. Because it is relatively easy for anybody to pick one up and be able to play a couple of 3 chord songs within a week.
And why can you find a used guitar at almost any garage sale you go to? Because after a year they realized all the would be able to play are those same 3 chord songs.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
it's not too bad, and if he plays violin he should have some decent finger strength. of course that can also be bad because you have to get used to a different scale length and all that.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
three chord songs eh. well that would would explain why there is so many damn indie bands around abusing the guitar
Quote by liam1107
three chord songs eh. well that would would explain why there is so many damn indie bands around abusing the guitar

Didn't take long for that thread to crash and burn dude. But seriously what was the first song you learned how to play. I'm sure it wasn't all that complex. I'm also sure you were able to hear in your mind what you were trying to play even if others may not. And then you were hooked.
And 3 chord songs don't suck.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
It's hard at first but once you pick it up to the point where you can mess around with a lot it's awesome and all you want to do it play. Even if you're not the best it's so much fun!
Page 1 of 2