From my grandma, and it was her aunt's before it was hers, so that puts it at (about) 85 years old. It has a few dings on it, and it needs a new bow, and it is missing a tuning peg and it doesn't have a case. I was wondering how much it would cost to fix this thing up. And if anyone could tell me some more about it. It says it is an E. Martin Stradivarius copy, in Germany. This isn't Martin, i think, i think it is a different brand. But i dunno. I will post pictures either tonight or tomorrow.

I just need some tips on getting it fixed up and then learning it. Thanks in advance.
^ Great advice.

I have no idea, but don't you know anyone playing the violin?

If so you should ask them.
tuning pegs aren't expensive, go to ebay and get a set for about 35 dollars, you'll need a shoulder rest too, that's about 20 dollars, cases you can get for about 50. do not worry about the dings or anything cosmetic, that's just how old violins are. E. Martin is probably the luthiers name, if you have any more questions PM me, i play violin and i should be able to help you out with any questions.

oh yeah...bows are kinda expensive : ( , anywhere from 100-1000 dollars, i reccomend this one. http://stringworks.com/mall/bows.asp , it's the top one from John Kraush. they're pretty good for the money, and 180 bucks isn't that bad for one, but if you want to go cheaper they have some for 50 i think.
Adding to Chad's post, if you want to play violin you'll need to get a teacher for at least some of the way. The technique is essential, sort of the way it is with classical guitar and if you don't work it properly you won't get a decent sound out of the violin.

You can PM me too, I've been playing since I was 6. Not so much recently but I still remember.
Quote by Chad11491

oh yeah...bows are kinda expensive : ( , anywhere from 100-1000 dollars,

Not necessarily, especially if he's just a beginner.
Most music stores have less expensive bows for about $40-$50. That's what I got. Granted, I don't play violin, but it works just as well on a guitar.

I don't think a beginner would want to get a $100-$1000 bow anyways, because you don't even know if it's something you'll stick with.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
Fixing that up won't be expensive at all. Violin strings are kinda expensive,
and as said above, no, violin bows aren't actually all that expensive, unless you are looking for a top-quality wood bow.

I play violin, but unfortunately I'm not versed in the models and brands and etc. If it was made 85 years ago, it is unlikely that it would have a brand, and would probably have been hand-made specifically for your great-aunt or someone else.

If you don't want to play it (violin is extremely hard to learn), I would recommend fixing it up, and selling it. If it is such an old Violin, and hand-made then you should get over 1000 Pounds for it, or over $1200 (I don't know the exchange rate properly).

I know my violin is about 60 years old (from my Grandmother), and if I were to sell it, I would get R20 000 (South African Rand), which in pounds is around 1800, or in dollars about $2300.

Edit: My mother forced me into violin when I was 5. Haven't played in 4 months, but that isn't long enough to forget anything.
Quote by Jekkyl
Not necessarily, especially if he's just a beginner.
Most music stores have less expensive bows for about $40-$50. That's what I got. Granted, I don't play violin, but it works just as well on a guitar.

I don't think a beginner would want to get a $100-$1000 bow anyways, because you don't even know if it's something you'll stick with.

100 is actually really cheap for a wood bow, i mentioned there may be some for about 40-50 that are fiberglass, and yeah, that's true, TS if you're just wanting it to be playable, i wouldn't worry about an expensive bow
Take it to a music shop. Get new strings, pegs, new bow, new bridge. You might need it re-glued or re-varnished.

It's gonna cost a lot.

edit: Bows get pretty cheap- you can get one for like 20, 30 quid. They're terrible though- mine was £100, and it's terrible in relation to others.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
if you plan on playing it you will need a shoulder rest, that tuning peg, a bow (a cheapo synthetic one will do), and resin

you might consider picking up a sizuki book as well

EDIT: its not that hard to learn, i started cello when i was 10 and my sister started viola at the same age. Plus it helps that you play guitar/bass
Last edited by mrmarc772 at Apr 5, 2008,
I'm so very afraid that the next thread is going to be "Hey, so I accidentally broke an 85-year-old violin..."

stradivarius is a VERY good make, usually hand made. it is definatly worth getting it fixed up, they sound amazing. i have been playing for 14 years now, ever since i was 4, im still crap at it (compared to others in the orchestra. so many people younger than me are better i gave up playing in the orchestra, moved to double bass ). it takes a lot of dedication, violin is probably the hardest instrument to play well

and if you dont feel like playing it, ill have if you're feeling generous
Nothing really matters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGuitar
I'm only responsible for the Korean jizz...

I never thought I'd say those words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_haeni
Bahah, i just got BUTSECKS to work.
Quote by mrmarc772
if you plan on playing it you will need a shoulder rest, that tuning peg, a bow (a cheapo synthetic one will do), and resin

you might consider picking up a sizuki book as well

Nah, get proper lessons and learn the actual way, don't do suzuki method.

edit: fudge- this is a copy, not an actual strad.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
well you can just purchase a bow, and a tuning peg. I mean it doesn't take a monkey to put a tuning peg on.
Quote by RedMoonMan
well you can just purchase a bow, and a tuning peg. I mean it doesn't take a monkey to put a tuning peg on.

It might need restoring.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
I dont mean to thread-jack but what does Suzuki method mean?
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
I bet it sounds great.
I wish I still played violin.

Take it in, it won't cost much. Change all the strings though, a new peg shouldn't cost too much, except you might have to order one expecially for it incase the company that made the violin isn't around anymore. The dings you can't get out. Also, bow's aren't that much, but they can get pricey if you want a good one.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by str84ever
Just take it to a music store they should be able to fix it.

yeah, thats probably the best option. they know more about it (hopefully) than you do. plus they can give you prices. since we dont know where you can take it, its hard to estimate what it will cost to fix.
idk why everyone says learning the violin is so hard, i've played since 5th grade (i'm in 11th now) and i dont remember it every being very hard to learn. and if you just beginning then a cheap bow should work just fine for you $30. tuning pegs dont cost much either. good luck with it all.
thanks alot guys. Oh and if it helps at all, this violin was once featured on the cover of TIME magazine. A painting of it, done by my grandma. (she won some sort of contest) so google that maybe and you can find it.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Nah, get proper lessons and learn the actual way, don't do suzuki method.

edit: fudge- this is a copy, not an actual strad.

Don't want to be an ass Jon but I learnt by the Suzuki method and the concept of it being utter **** that doesn't teach you how to sight read is bull. I managed to get grade 4 with a point off honours(I know grade 4 isn't the highest of the high level but doing it without sight reading would be impossible). I don't want to sound full of myself but most people that bash the Suzuki method are bashing an incorrect idea of it that's completely exaggerated. I know there is a bit of truth in the students learning too fast or there being a lack of theoretical studies but the modern approach to suzuki has changed a lot.

:Cheers:
anyone want to explain the difference between the suzuki method and...well the other rmethod, please?