So my dad was telling me the other day how when he was in school, he was one of the popular kids because he was one of the brighter ones. So I asked around and a lot of adults have confirmed this for me, usually the ones aged 40+.

So my question is, when and why did it become cool to be an idiot?
They only say that so you think that if you get smarter you will become cooler.
Because being 'good' is boring.

And I don't get what your dad's high school status has to do with people being stupid nowadays.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Maybe your dad just didn't want to admit to his son that he was a nerd who got constantly beat up on.

...Just sayin'.
edit:
Of course I'm joking, if you can't already tell.
Quote by Mradrol
They only say that so you think that if you get smarter you will become cooler.

I actually thought that as well, but my dad did explicitly tell me that he knows that nowadays it's the opposite and being smart makes you uncool. Plus he knows that he wouldn't be able to fool me like that any more
It's all about social skills. If somebody's popular they have to be smart, at least in a social way.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by raise_the_dead
Because being 'good' is boring.

And I don't get what your dad's high school status has to do with people being stupid nowadays.

We were just having a conversation about how things have changed from when he was a kid and now. He went on to tell me that it used to be cool to be clever while now it's cool to be stupid. Can you see the link now?
So our race can pretty much grind itself into the dirt quicker tbh.
Changing morals.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
probably started in the 70s and 80s when being a rebel was cool, not obaying the teachers and just sucking in school
Quote by michal23
We were just having a conversation about how things have changed from when he was a kid and now. He went on to tell me that it used to be cool to be clever while now it's cool to be stupid. Can you see the link now?

It's always been the same though I mean, back in the day it was all James Dean and Mods taking pills and smacking rockers around. And before that it was all apple scrumping and hooliganism. It's just the media that's made young people nowadays seem worse 'cause the worst horror stories are made to seem nationwide. Which in turn makes it escalate- like with the Mods and Rockers in the 60's, it was nothing until the media took an interest, only then did it get bad. That's like it is now.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
my dad tends to trick me by taking my nose, works everytime goddamit, he's done it for the past 16 years, i barely ever get it back anymore
^^^^ lol

At my school, most of the AP kids are considered popular. I mean, there are the idiots that are popular, but they are kinda in their own clique. I don't think it matters how smart you are, I think it matters on if you're socially smart, just like someone said earlier. There are 2 really smart guys at my school. One has alot of friends, because he knows how to be social, the other not so many, because he isn't a social person.
Member #16 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join
Yeah, when people try to be bad its so ****ing annoying.

This douchebag in my class always smuggles lighters and acts like hes big ****.

"Hey guys lets go burn this ****!!!!"

Cvnt.

Edit: Has anyone else noticed the use of censors makes posts sound madder than they would be without censors?
Quote by Hobolad
It's always been the same though I mean, back in the day it was all James Dean and Mods taking pills and smacking rockers around. And before that it was all apple scrumping and hooliganism. It's just the media that's made young people nowadays seem worse 'cause the worst horror stories are made to seem nationwide. Which in turn makes it escalate- like with the Mods and Rockers in the 60's, it was nothing until the media took an interest, only then did it get bad. That's like it is now.

People used to be far more disciplined though. Kids were brought up far more strictly and behaved themselves because they knew if they didn't they would get a good spankin' from their parents. Nowadays however, kids misbehave and don't bother learning, and what's more a lot of the parents don't seem to give a damn either.
no one ever said it was cool to be stupid, you can be getting all As in your exams and still be popular as long as you hav a life and personality beyond study! as for stupid people i dunno about the rest of you but if someone is stupid in my class, sure people will laugh at them but thats the thing, we're laughing AT them not with them, because theyre stupid they think the opposite and therefore think theyre now popuar and continue acting stupid! its not until they leave skul that they realise what idiots they were!
"I just hope that our fans are people who are inspired by music, and just use our music as a background or inspiration for whatever it is they do. "

Maynard James Keenan
Being cools for nerds.
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
Quote by hard to explain
no one ever said it was cool to be stupid, you can be getting all As in your exams and still be popular as long as you hav a life and personality beyond study! as for stupid people i dunno about the rest of you but if someone is stupid in my class, sure people will laugh at them but thats the thing, we're laughing AT them not with them, because theyre stupid they think the opposite and therefore think theyre now popuar and continue acting stupid! its not until they leave skul that they realise what idiots they were!

Boy do I wish my school was like yours...
I believe it simply reflects the 'creation' of the teenager, post WWII. Teenagers try to establish themselves as individual people, who wont be told what to do by others. In this case, the teachers.

Society today puts greater emphasis on being your own person, and doing your own thing. Look at entrepreneurs, which are often celebrated and held in high regard. I know this example is not quite the same as misbehaving in school, but I believe it is all part of the same social movement. If you wanted to, you could probably make some sort of connection with capitalism and the emergence of a consumer society. But I shan't; I'm supposed to be revising.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by MattCbassist
my dad tends to trick me by taking my nose, works everytime goddamit, he's done it for the past 16 years, i barely ever get it back anymore

oh man

Quote by mulletman500
Because ignorance is bliss and people like happy people.

And that is my reason why for avoiding the philosophy pages on wikipedia. Especially the misanthropist ones.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
All the people who are smart and say they were cool in high school who you asked were just in denial.
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
It's a Jewish conspiracy to destabilize the US at a long term, and then take control when it's in chaos and mayhem .

Or it's just the fact that good boys aren't the most fun ones to hang out with, and the change from the "let's ignore the shit that is going on on the world and pretend that the world is perfect" kind of music, to the "let's get wasted and have unprotected sex" kind of music.

I prefer to believe the 1st theory.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||